Around the NHL: Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Rangers remaining 19 games includes 15 games against teams that are on their level, or higher in the standings.

In other words, for the Rangers to get into the playoffs, they have to punch up.

For the Canes and Leafs to get into the playoffs, they have to not lose to teams they should theoretically beat.

Thanks for sharing and, respectfully, this is yesterday’s news which some do have to be reminded of.

Still a very young team with a cap issue and two dinosaurs scheduled to be on the roster next year. It’s a rebuild which still needs inexpensive youth to develop with others promoted and they develop.

If I was a betting guy I would say the panic begins next year though. Trading youth for vets b/c the Zibby, Panarin Kreider group won’t be in their prime forever. And off we go

I don’t think this team is ready so would have preferred to stick with the full rebuild (which is yesterday’s news too)

Hope they prove me wrong

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
We've lost kreider for the season (likely) and we've got the hardest remaining schedule in the NHL (if I'm not mistaken). I'd be shocked if we don't fall outta it quickly.

I think ppl are downplaying how enormous the loss of kreider is on a very top heavy team.

considering how hard I fought on this board for the reasons why we had to keep Kreider I hardly think I’m someone to downplay what losing him means.

however I don’t think the islanders bluejackets or canes currently constructed are as good as us even without Kreider. I don’t. I think we’re better. And if we get Shesterkin back at any point soon he can carry isn’t himself imo.

Reactions: KOVALEV022473

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
How is that all they have for sucking for a decade? I mean really sucking

Bad GM, they can have very little knowledge. Jeff Skinner and Kyle Okposo, I wouldn’t have touched either. Purely stat based acquisition/signings.

Eichel is also really overrated. Floats so much.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
The islanders are in serious trouble. They just don’t have much talent. When things get to crunch time you need your stars to win you some games. They just don’t have any. Even Barzal doesn’t score any goals.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
It's the weakest division in the NHL and a reason why the Pacific division winner (likely Vegas) has better odds at going deep in the playoffs than Colorado and St. Louis. I know the main board can't go 5 seconds without making a thread about McDavid/Draisaitl and how great they are but if I'm picking my playoff opponent I'd rather play them than anyone in the Central.

Really another example on how flawed and terrible this playoff format. If it was 1-8 with division winners at 1-2 and 3-8 for open to the rest it would be a real royal rumble for those spots. Big reason I’m just waffling in playoffs is reason of being a WC as a opposed to possible being a 5-6 seed facing off against Philly or Tampa than Washington or Boston.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It's hard for me to believe that Columbus is going to make the playoffs. Too many injuries and when Jones went down that was the killer. They've won 1 of their last 10 games and they're offensively challenged.

That leaves 3 teams basically to win two spots. The Islanders, Hurricanes and us. The Islanders are in the best position. 4 points up but they're not playing well either--they're also offensively challenged and look to me like a team that will break even the rest of the way as far as standing points. The wheels haven't fallen off their bus but they're not on very tight either. Carolina also has a bunch of injuries--they've managed to replace some of those issues but currently they have both their minor league goalies up and IMO it's not like Reimer or Mrazek are fantastic either.

So we're missing Kreider and that's a huge loss. The car accident with Shesterkin too because he was lights out. I'd still take our goaltending over the Blue Jackets or Hurricanes though. Not saying we're going to do it but to me we're pretty close to a playoff spot and it's there for the taking.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
It's hard for me to believe that Columbus is going to make the playoffs. Too many injuries and when Jones went down that was the killer. They've won 1 of their last 10 games and they're offensively challenged.

That leaves 3 teams basically to win two spots. The Islanders, Hurricanes and us. The Islanders are in the best position. 4 points up but they're not playing well either--they're also offensively challenged and look to me like a team that will break even the rest of the way as far as standing points. The wheels haven't fallen off their bus but they're not on very tight either. Carolina also has a bunch of injuries--they've managed to replace some of those issues but currently they have both their minor league goalies up and IMO it's not like Reimer or Mrazek are fantastic either.

So we're missing Kreider and that's a huge loss. The car accident with Shesterkin too because he was lights out. I'd still take our goaltending over the Blue Jackets or Hurricanes though. Not saying we're going to do it but to me we're pretty close to a playoff spot and it's there for the taking.

I think as I said earlier even with Kreider and Shesterkin our we are the best team of the 4 fighting for those final 2 spots. 5 if you want to count fla which probably should. They’re a mess too

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think as I said earlier even with Kreider and Shesterkin our we are the best team of the 4 fighting for those final 2 spots. 5 if you want to count fla which probably should. They’re a mess too

I'm kind of thinking if Florida does make it it's because Toronto doesn't. Toronto is a mess too.

Hopefully though Shesterkin will be alright in two or three weeks and Kreider can come back before the season ends if we're still in it--or at least sometime in the first round if we do. That kind of happened a few years ago when he had some kind of knee or foot issue and came back in the first round against the Penguins I think. Both of those guys are key players but this is where others are going to have to step up a little.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
How is that all they have for sucking for a decade? I mean really sucking
They decided to only acquire defencemen for some reason. Beofre they started to get rid of some of them recently I think they had eight top-4 (ish) defencemen on their roster (Dahlin, Ristolainen, Miller, Montour, Pilut, Jokiharju, Scandella and McCabe).

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
They decided to only acquire defencemen for some reason. Beofre they started to get rid of some of them recently I think they had eight top-4 (ish) defencemen on their roster (Dahlin, Ristolainen, Miller, Montour, Pilut, Jokiharju, Scandella and McCabe).
It feels like they did that thing that Vegas did with their expansion draft where they hoarded defensemen with the hope that they can trade them for some better stuff elsewhere and then all the other teams were like ‘nah, we don’t really want them’

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
1 out of 3 Freddie. Dubas is terrible at buying assets. cost controlled Kadri for UFA to be Barrie? Muzzin when he could have ponied up 2 years earlier for McDonagh? Sticking with Andersen as the starter and Campbell as a backup instead of a tandem of George and Freddie? They deserve to burn in hell.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

The biggest downside is that the schedule is going to get very tough. This week is Philly, St. Louis and Washington. Yes, those are at home, but two cup contenders and a team that is going to be in the playoffs is a tough test.

Tons of playoff teams on the schedule. Penguins twice. Washington twice. Road trip to Dallas and Colorado on back to back nights. Have to go to Tampa again. Then the teams fighting to get in. Calagary, Arizona, Columbus. Not a lot of gimme games on the schedule, so they'll need to earn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad