Around the NHL: Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Can someone explain why Toronto and Isle have such a big percentage advantage over us (with a tiebreaker in hands) and Florida?

Schedule?

Remaining strength of schedule plays a big role in this model I've noticed.

Toronto has a big lead on NYR because they have 3 potential spots, 1 of which spot is only contested by a team with low percentage. NYR only has 2 spots they could fill, and they have many more competitors for them.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Rangers remaining 19 games includes 15 games against teams that are on their level, or higher in the standings.

In other words, for the Rangers to get into the playoffs, they have to punch up.

For the Canes and Leafs to get into the playoffs, they have to not lose to teams they should theoretically beat.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Want some salt go on the isles board and read how bad our prospects are compared to Dobson and Wahlstrom. ADA , Fox , Chytil and KK are just average potential players with no star potential . ‍♂️♂️

To not have star potential you have to not be a star already, which ADA is. Fox is on pace to put up 45 points as a rookie D and there is no way this is the best we've seen of him. Dude just oozes smarts

On the forwards end, I don't see how ANYONE can make a claim that one-trick-pony Wahlstrom (who's trick isn't even working at the pro level - and who currently sports the worst +/- on the team) is a superior prospect to either Chytil or Kakko.

Even Islander fans can't be that delusional

Reactions: Captain Lindy

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Barzal's rookie season was an outlier driven by high PP production.

He's still a really good player, but not the super elite player that everyone thought he was going to be.

I don't know, I kind of feel the opposite.

His PowerPlay production is down, but he's actually more or less made up the difference at even strength --- with significantly less protection in front of him.

He's actually on pace to set a new high in goals, and his overall production is on pace to still be in the mid-70s --- and he's not yet 23.

I think if the Islanders actually improve their team, he's a guy who could very much be in that 90+ range in his mid-20s.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don't know, I kind of feel the opposite.

His PowerPlay production is down, but he's actually more or less made up the difference at even strength --- with significantly less protection in front of him.

He's actually on pace to set a new high in goals, and his overall production is on pace to still be in the mid-70s --- and he's not yet 23.

I think if the Islanders actually improve their team, he's a guy who could very much be in that 90+ range in his mid-20s.

Yeah but scoring in general is also up overall the last 2 years. His 5v5 growth kind of reflects that, even with a sub par cast (which in terms of who he plays with, isn't THAT bad.)

The PP dip can't be put completely on him, but he also isn't getting free reign to do what ever he wants to do like he did his rookie year.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
Looking over at Western standings, the thing I'm most surprised about (besides how bad the conference is as a whole), is how hyped Vancouver and Edmonton are. Literally tied with, and technically below the Rangers.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Looking over at Western standings, the thing I'm most surprised about (besides how bad the conference is as a whole), is how hyped Vancouver and Edmonton are. Literally tied with, and technically below the Rangers.
It's the weakest division in the NHL and a reason why the Pacific division winner (likely Vegas) has better odds at going deep in the playoffs than Colorado and St. Louis. I know the main board can't go 5 seconds without making a thread about McDavid/Draisaitl and how great they are but if I'm picking my playoff opponent I'd rather play them than anyone in the Central.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It's the weakest division in the NHL and a reason why the Pacific division winner (likely Vegas) has better odds at going deep in the playoffs than Colorado and St. Louis. I know the main board can't go 5 seconds without making a thread about McDavid/Draisaitl and how great they are but if I'm picking my playoff opponent I'd rather play them than anyone in the Central.

Canadian team factor, and because those teams are finally looking to climb out of the gutter.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York

That division is comically weak.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Pretty annoying how both the Coyotes and Canucks are likely to miss the playoffs and New Jersey has both of their picks.

Vancouver is 2nd in the pacific?I know the division sucks, but I wouldn't say they're likely to miss.

Arizona may but thats because their goalies keep getting hurt and Chayka is a dope.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Vancouver is 2nd in the pacific?I know the division sucks, but I wouldn't say they're likely to miss.

Arizona may but thats because their goalies keep getting hurt and Chayka is a dope.
they lost Markstrom and he's the only reason they're that close. Demko looked like shit last night. They're in trouble.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
I knew Montreal was bad in 3rd periods but they were terrible in the 3rd last night. Julien talked about it:

"We're capable of playing 40 minutes, we're not able to play 60," Julien said. "We're encouraging our players to play 60 minutes, we tell them to play on their toes in the third, not on their heels, try to play the third like the first two periods. But it's not happening. At a certain point you look at the goals that we're allowing, we're on our heels, and you can't play for the players. At a certain point they make the decision to take charge and stop talking about a lack of confidence and start playing the right way."

Montreal Canadiens head coach Claude Julien sounds off: 'We're capable of playing 40 minutes' - TSN.ca

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Such a depressing group of forwards...Simmonds, Vesey, Okposo, Lazar...imagine this lineup without Eichel.

upload_2020-2-28_23-27-52.png

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Pretty annoying how both the Coyotes and Canucks are likely to miss the playoffs and New Jersey has both of their picks.
The Vancouver pick goes to next year if they miss the playoffs. Not sure if that is a good thing. You would think Vancouver wouldn't be a bottom 10 team next year but who the heck knows with teams like Vancouver, Florida, Arizona and Buffalo.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
they lost Markstrom and he's the only reason they're that close. Demko looked like shit last night. They're in trouble.
Agreed. Markstrom has been unreal and I believe he is a UFA so who knows if he is back next year.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Vegas is going to run away with the Pacific division lead. They're about to win their 8th in a row, and their next 2 games are at home against the Kings and Devils.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
As bad as that loss hurt last night it could not have been a softer landing considering bjs canes and penguins all lost in regulation.

would love to see the bruins handle the islanders today.

Carolina has Montreal on the back end of the back to back maybe Montreal can jump on them at home.
we get back on task tomorrow

Reactions: KOVALEV022473

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
As bad as that loss hurt last night it could not have been a softer landing considering bjs canes and penguins all lost in regulation.

would love to see the bruins handle the islanders today.

Carolina has Montreal on the back end of the back to back maybe Montreal can jump on them at home.
we get back on task tomorrow
We've lost kreider for the season (likely) and we've got the hardest remaining schedule in the NHL (if I'm not mistaken). I'd be shocked if we don't fall outta it quickly.

I think ppl are downplaying how enormous the loss of kreider is on a very top heavy team.

Reactions: Leetch3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad