Around the NHL: Part XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
It's time to scoreboard watch. We need help. Tomorrow Tuesday,...

CBJ plays again vs MIN.
FLA vs ARI
CAR vs DAL
PHI vs SJ

And we play the Isles.

Reactions: Tob

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
that Islander team could beat the daylights out of opponents on the boards. Winning the Cup is a long season and the Drive for 5 was playing about 9.5 months a year (including preseason/camp) for 5 straight years. That’s insane and they had nothing left. Islanders may have fell off their pedestal.

at their best I would like to say the Oilers were better yet I’m not positive.

I think the Rangers were the last team to beat the Islanders in a playoff round before they went on their run. They then won something like 19 playoff series in a row before the Oilers finally knocked them off. I was in the Coast Guard back then and for much of that time on Governor's Island and it seemed like that I was surrounded by Islanders fans quite a few of them who were Coasties like me---though none of them actually played. I would get razzed all the time though. What could you say? Those Islanders teams were deep. They ground teams down and chewed them up. They were talented, disciplined and tough and all on the same page and Al Arbour was a hell of a coach. That didn't stop me from hating them though. This particular Islanders team today play well together too and Trotz is an excellent coach--offensively though they are very challenged. They might win a round but I'd be surprised if they did more than that. To me there's always been a bit of a weird vibe from their fans--a kind of snobbishness mixed with an inferiority complex. It mystified them even back then--here they were winning championships and still the Rangers were so much more popular. The Rangers have always been the people's team in the Metropolitan area.

Reactions: Maximus

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
that Islander team could beat the daylights out of opponents on the boards. Winning the Cup is a long season and the Drive for 5 was playing about 9.5 months a year (including preseason/camp) for 5 straight years. That’s insane and they had nothing left. Islanders may have fell off their pedestal.

at their best I would like to say the Oilers were better yet I’m not positive.

I was around during this time and unfortunately every year while in college the Islanders beat us and won the Cup. And where I went to school up at SUNY Brockport up near Rochester, NY, alot of my best friends were from Long Island and were Islander fans. Oh man was it tough to have to deal with all the crap me and my Rangers fan buds had to deal with...it was excruciating and it still stings 40 years later....lol

If I had gun to my head, I'd say the Oilers dynasty was a smidgen better than the Islanders dynasty due to the enormous talent advantage the Oilers had. Don't get me wrong, the Islanders were very talented as indicated by their having quite a few players of theirs in the HOF.

That said, the Oilers were in a different galaxy as far as talent is concerned as they weren't just top heavy with the Gretzky's, Messiers and Kurries but they also had depth guys like Tikanen, Glen Anderson, Krushelnyskies. And their defensive corps led by Coffey, Lowe and company was insanely good. Oh and Fuhr tho his stats don't truly show how great he was, was an amazing goalie.

So yeah, I'd take the Oilers over the Islanders. The question I have is would I take the Oilers over those great Canadian teams from '76 thru '79. Now that's a really really tough one. I might lean towards the Canadians but it's really close.

Reactions: eco's bones

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I was around during this time and unfortunately every year while in college the Islanders beat us and won the Cup. And where I went to school up at SUNY Brockport up near Rochester, NY, alot of my best friends were from Long Island and were Islander fans. Oh man was it tough to have to deal with all the crap me and my Rangers fan buds had to deal with...it was excruciating and it still stings 40 years later....lol

If I had gun to my head, I'd say the Oilers dynasty was a smidgen better than the Islanders dynasty due to the enormous talent advantage the Oilers had. Don't get me wrong, the Islanders were very talented as indicated by their having quite a few players of theirs in the HOF.

That said, the Oilers were in a different galaxy as far as talent is concerned as they weren't just top heavy with the Gretzky's, Messiers and Kurries but they also had depth guys like Tikanen, Glen Anderson, Krushelnyskies. And their defensive corps led by Coffey, Lowe and company was insanely good. Oh and Fuhr tho his stats don't truly show how great he was, was an amazing goalie.

So yeah, I'd take the Oilers over the Islanders. The question I have is would I take the Oilers over those great Canadian teams from '76 thru '79. Now that's a really really tough one. I might lean towards the Canadians but it's really close.

Thanks for sharing and it was brutal.

I like to think the Oilers would have won yet IDK.

depth was great for both (I think Esa came a little later but not positijve)

Gretzky - Trottier
Kurri - Bossy
Anderson - Gillies
Messier - Tonelli
Coffey - Potvin
Fuhr - Smith

They also had tough Bobby Nystrom, Bob Bourne, the Sutter Sisters, Butch Goring, Gilbert, Dinesen, etc

The Canadiens I understand we’re amazing yet I was too young

I’ll still go with Edmonton yet not sure. They only met twice. Isles sweep first time and Oilers won the next

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Columbus players dropping like flies yet they still get points. Won in overtime tonight (against Ottawa, but still), lost Elvis to injury,have guys like Stefan Matteau Jr. scoring goals for them.. The Jack Adams should be renamed to the John Tortorella award.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
So, the bad news is CLB won and hurt our (extremely marginal) playoff chances; the good news is they helped with the whole CAR/TOR pick situation.

If nothing else, this TDL had ensured that scoreboard watching will be fun all the rest of this year.

I said this a few days ago and bears repeating. What's going on with the Rangers is eerily similar to what occurred with the Mets this past year. If you recall, the Mets were dead and buried around the all-star break and there was no talk whatsoever from any of us Met fans of playoffs. There was no hope at all for the most part.

Than all of a sudden out of the blue with no warning, the Mets started to win games they weren't "supposed" to win and before you know it they went on a roll to where they were playing important August and September baseball games and they got themselves due to playing so well, to the point where they were in sniffing distance of one of those 2 WC playoff spots.

Obviously they didn't as the Mets couldn't pull it off in the end but they gave us Met fans a hell of a fun summer as we were all scoreboard watching which was totally unexpected and it gave us hope that this year with a better start, we might contend again for the post season and this time make the post season.

Well same thing with the Rangers if you think about it, at least for me it is. Not one of us was even talking playoffs the whole season as there was no reason too as tho we were a pain in the ass to have to play against and we were very entertaining to watch, we still were pretty much a .500 team and that was that. This season was pretty much all about developing the kids and getting them some valuable experience to where that down the road maybe as soon as next year, we could contend for playoff spot.

Than maybe about 3 weeks ago a funny thing happened. Some guy Shesterkin took over the net and was an absolute wall and before you know it we have gone on a roll to where we are in sniffing distance of not just a WC but also the 3rd seed in the uber tough Metro.

The likelihood of us making the playoffs is about as low as it was for the Mets but like the Mets at the very least, they have made the rest of the season alot more interesting than it was and we all will be watching the scoreboard alot more than we ever thought we would be which is a hell of a good thing!!

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The Montreal Canadiens teams of the 70's were amazing. I think Ken Dryden played only 8 or 9 years and won 6 Stanley Cups. He's a HOF's--half of his defense are HOF'ers too--Larry Robinson, Guy Lapointe, Serge Savard--J. C. Tremblay might be there too if he hadn't headed off for the WHA. Other HOF'ers--Guy Lafleur, Frank Mahovlich, Yvan Cournoyer (who had a game similar to Pavel Bure), Jacques Lemaire, I remember the pocket rocket Henri Richard (Maurice's younger brother) who was playing in Quebec Leagues into his 70's I think--he was small but very fiery, Steve Shutt, Bob Gainey---backing all that up were guys like Pete Mahovlich, Doug Risebrough, Doug Jarvis, Bill Nyrop, Rejean Houle, Mario Tremblay---all really good players and that's off the top of my head.

Reactions: leetch99

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Columbus players dropping like flies yet they still get points. Won in overtime tonight (against Ottawa, but still), lost Elvis to injury,have guys like Stefan Matteau Jr. scoring goals for them.. The Jack Adams should be renamed to the John Tortorella award.

Yeah, it's been crazy in Columbus this season. They have something like 280 man-games lost to injury, maybe even more. Tortorella's been great, and part of it is because he's not afraid to move guys up and down the lineup depending on how they're playing. I think he even bumped Dubois down to the third line for a game the other week. Just look at what he got out of the 2011-2012 Rangers, which was basically a first line, a bunch of grinders, and Lundqvist.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Anybody want to try and explain to me why giving up a 1st and 2nd for Pageau, and then signing him to a 6 year, $30 million contract is a good idea, because I’m not seeing it.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
So, the bad news is CLB won and hurt our (extremely marginal) playoff chances; the good news is they helped with the whole CAR/TOR pick situation.

If nothing else, this TDL had ensured that scoreboard watching will be fun all the rest of this year.
I dont know how much longer CBJ can hold on for.

They lost Merzlikens last night but got Korpisalo back.

They barely beat an Ottawa team that has traded almost a quarter of its roster in the past week.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I kinda feel bad for Skjei on a personal level

I'd be fuming if I woke up one day living in NYC and later that day found out I'm being forced to move to Raleigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad