Around the NHL - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
The NHL should SERIOUSLY start looking at new rules regarding the NHL Lottery Draft especially with the last few Cup champs bottoming out super fast like LA & Chicago . There should be a time period that has to pass before a former Cup winner gets one of them 5 top draft choices [no problem if they pick up a spot via a trade] Hawks were PATHETIC the other night . With so many mailing it in the product across the board is weakened . I just don't like it .

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The NHL should SERIOUSLY start looking at new rules regarding the NHL Lottery Draft especially with the last few Cup champs bottoming out super fast like LA & Chicago . There should be a time period that has to pass before a former Cup winner gets one of them 5 top draft choices [no problem if they pick up a spot via a trade] Hawks were PATHETIC the other night . With so many mailing it in the product across the board is weakened . I just don't like it .

Excluded from the lottery if they:

- Won a cup in the last 10 years, or
- Had a top-3 pick in the last 5 years

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne

How many years? This is the 5th season since they won the Cup for LA and 4th for the Hawks. Neither of them have been past the 1st round of the playoffs since their cup win....

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
How many years? This is the 5th season since they won the Cup for LA and 4th for the Hawks. Neither of them have been past the 1st round of the playoffs since their cup win....
Good question for sure . I'm sure they can weight it all out better then it is currently constructed . We wrecked our club and yet we have ...what ? ...like 8 teams ahead of us for the top picks....

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Good question for sure . I'm sure they can weight it all out better then it is currently constructed . We wrecked our club and yet we have ...what ? ...like 8 teams ahead of us for the top picks....

It's year 1 of a rebuild....

But what you seem to be saying is that teams such as LA and Chicago should be forced to sit in limbo for a few years where they don't have the talent to compete for the Cup anymore, and they're not allowed to go out and get it with high draft picks. That just seems weird. Especially when you factor in the fact that the NHL has already 'meddled' by having a salary cap which makes it much harder to keep Championship teams together, which necessitates the need for cheap, young talent.
I'm not sure the issue is so much the NHL, more that the Rangers aren't where you want them to be, and that we've dilly-dallied for a bit instead of committing to the rebuild immediately (and that we've got an all-world goalie who greatly assist in getting extra points)

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

Include teams that perpetually seem to be in the running for the top pick. I think that's just as bad. How fair would it be if Edmonton or even the Devils got the number one pick again?!

Reactions: leetch99

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I think it's fair to say we aren't tanking (we aren't very good, but we aren't tanking). So your basically punishing us for nothing, while helping ensure it takes longer for us to become competitive again

I was just throwing out some suggestions, but I've thought about it before. You could go with a 3-year gap between winning the lottery and being lottery-eligible.

By this logic, the teams exempt from the draft lottery this year would be:

PHI
CHI
LAK
NJD
DAL
CAR

It would leave these teams for the draft lottery (in order of position):

DET
COL (OTT pick)
FLA
STL
ARI
NYR
EDM
MIN
VAN

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Are people forgetting that the reason we have watch McDavid waste his career in EDM is because the NHL kept meddling with the formula in order to stop the Oilers picking 1st?
Keep it simple, don't exclude teams because they had success in the past, and don't exclude teams because they suck.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
I was just throwing out some suggestions, but I've thought about it before. You could go with a 3-year gap between winning the lottery and being lottery-eligible.

By this logic, the teams exempt from the draft lottery this year would be:

PHI
CHI
LAK
NJD
DAL
CAR

It would leave these teams for the draft lottery (in order of position):

DET
COL (OTT pick)
FLA
STL
ARI
NYR
EDM
MIN
VAN

It really does seem like a solution in search of a problem to me. Luckily I think the NHL is in agreement so we hopefully don't see it any time soon

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I get that they want to discourage “tanking”, but I don’t think they need to throw every non-playoff team into a lottery.

Put the worst 5 or so worst teams into a weighted lottery, and then leave the rest of the picks alone.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Is there bad blood between Babcock and Matthews? Watching the Leafs recently these two do not look happy with each other. Anyone else noticing?

Yes there are something going on for sure - Matthews looks almost not interested in their last game and that is concerning news for Toronto if that is the case.

Reactions: MyLoveIsBlue

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
Panthers with back to back wins against Toronto and Nashville now that Trocheck is back. They should pass us down the stretch.

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
Calgary's 31-13-5 (+41) record is almost more impressive to me than Tampa's. Everyone knew Tampa was going to coast through the regular season.

No one in this universe foresaw Calgary winning [potentially] 52 games.

I honestly don't know how Calgary got to 31-13-5.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
I honestly don't know how Calgary got to 31-13-5.

Finally getting some goaltending

Their PP1 and top line have been money all season. Tkachuk has taken his game to the next level. The Lindholm and Hanifin acquisitions couldn't have worked out any better thus far.

Heck, their big signing was James Neal and he has been a complete dumpster fire. 4 goals and 8 points the last time I checked, a week or so ago. Boy do they regret that contract right now. But everything else has worked out well for them. They're a scary team, although still wet behind the ears.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Calgary has had a really talented, deep and diversified team for a few years. Goaltending is a huge plus and they are putting it together. I actually had them picked to make a deep run last year. They remind me of the hawk and king teams when they got it going. Took a few misfires before they figured it out.

Reactions: leetch99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad