SJS-LAK-ANA-VGK-ARI-COL-DAL-(MIN) (8)
63-64-67-86-74-92-82-77=605 / 75 per team

Central:
CHI-STL-NSH-DET-CBJ-FLA-TBL-CAR (8)
72-94-78-39-81-78-92-81=615 / 77 per team

Atlantic:
NJD-NYI-NYR-BOS-PIT-PHI-WAS-BUF (8)
68-80-79-100-86-89-90-68=660 / 82.5 per team

The Minnesota shift is most problematic.
2019-20 points bolded above. Past performance is no guarantee of future results.

Man, I hope not. Those divisions are insanely imbalanced. With the extra (maybe exclusive?) divisional play, there's no way in hell you'd end up with the best 50% of teams making the playoffs.
1. If there's going to be an all-Canadian division in 2020-21, even if only for one season, everything else has to change.
2. Other re-alignments of the USA teams are certainly possible. I sought to minimize travel, minimize time zone differences, and preserve certain rivalries.
3. The playoffs don't always have the best 50% of teams making it, either in summary, or in terms of play over the last 5-6 weeks of the season post trade-deadline.
4. In a shortened season, one might argue each game is "worth more" given fewer opportunities to make up a loss, or fewer opportunities to build an insurmountable lead.
5. Removing Detroit's point total from the Central for purposes of comparison leaves each remaining team with 82.3 pts. on average.
6. Removing Boston's point total from the Atlantic for purposes of a comparison leaves each remaining team with 80 points.
7. NHL isn't going to split up the Western Conferences 3 worst teams last season, two of which are 30 miles down the road from each other.
8. You'll never have an equal balance if the principal requirement is a Canadian-only division. That doesn't mean it can't be an equitable system.
9. Choosing the playoff-qualifying teams is a separate topic and process.
10. If you're convinced an equal solution is required, but can't be achieved given the perceived constraints, instead of a playoff for the Stanley Cup, have everyone pool one paycheck each, divide the money equally among all the players, and give everyone participation trophies called the Sanders Cup.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
NHL Off-Season Power Rankings: Hate It or Love It Edition

2. Buffalo Sabres

Love it: Eric Staal trade is a clear win in our books. Taylor Hall should boost Jack Eichel’s mood. Cody Eakin one of the better under-the-radar UFA signings. A league-minimum flyer on Tobias Rieder. Coach Ralph Krueger becoming a selling point in Buffalo. Brandon Montour (one year, $3.85 million) needing to prove it.

Hate it: Goaltending has not been upgraded. Key RFAs Sam Reinhart, Victor Olofsson and Linus Ullmark still unsigned.

With only Colorado ahead of the Sabres on this list is nice to see.

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
Thornton to the Leafs. I like the guy but he’s the last thing they need. A smart matchup coach should be able to destroy the Leafs, catching guys like Thornton, Spezza, Simmonds, and Bogosian on the ice. And when they’re too slow to keep up/its evident they are suited their 3rd and 4th line roles, it’s going to be cause upheaval in the room if and when they scratch them.

Dubas running his team like franchise mode in NHL 20.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Wait, the Laffs signed Vesey too? Simmonds, Bogo, Vesey.
HAHAHHAHHA.

I think Simmonds will be a useful player for them. He provides some of what they lack.

He might have been useful for the Sabres too - we never got a chance to find out.

I don't hate Vesey for them either considering he's basically on a league minimum contract. Depends how he is used I guess.

Bogo won't have Hedman to carry him there. I'd be surprised if he's healthy enough to even sit in the press box most nights... Happy he got his cup ring though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad