Around the NHL - Part 3 - It's the Final(s) Countdown

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
Potentially the last game of the year tonight. Worst time of the year if it ends tonight.

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
I'm ready for it to be over. I haven't been able to see a game yet due to the network it's on. Let's get on with the off season already.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
I'm ready for it to be over. I haven't been able to see a game yet due to the network it's on. Let's get on with the off season already.

Game 4 was on NBC, as is tonight's game.

I'd love to see the Sharks just whip them tonight and make this series somewhat interesting.

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
Game 4 was on NBC, as is tonight's game.

I'd love to see the Sharks just whip them tonight and make this series somewhat interesting.

I work swings too. I'll try to catch this one. The league should be doing everything in its power to keep the games on basic cable.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
I work swings too. I'll try to catch this one. The league should be doing everything in its power to keep the games on basic cable.

While I agree, NHL just doesn't garner enough attention when you have these two teams playing to warrant premier TV.

The NBA finals make since why they are drawing so well, even though I haven't and won't watch one...single...minute. You still have some of the best players in the world who are highly commercialized in the States.

I thought from the beginning how disaapointing a Pens/Shark final just seemed to be. Sadly, I haven't really enjoyed watching any of it, but I'll continue to as when it's over I'll start having withdraws.

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
While I agree, NHL just doesn't garner enough attention when you have these two teams playing to warrant premier TV.

The NBA finals make since why they are drawing so well, even though I haven't and won't watch one...single...minute. You still have some of the best players in the world who are highly commercialized in the States.

I thought from the beginning how disaapointing a Pens/Shark final just seemed to be. Sadly, I haven't really enjoyed watching any of it, but I'll continue to as when it's over I'll start having withdraws.

I thought I heard somewhere that the NBA playoffs had really low viewership rates.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Great game 5. Not sure why folks are saying the series is boring; all of the games have been close. Some amazing goaltending on both sides. Last nights game was chipier than the others...Crosby finally lost his cool and threw some lame punches.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
I thought I heard somewhere that the NBA playoffs had really low viewership rates.

Nope. Wednesday's game had 13.65m viewers. The NBA pregame show had more viewers than any of the SCF games (6.91m)

Great game 5. Not sure why folks are saying the series is boring; all of the games have been close. Some amazing goaltending on both sides. Last nights game was chipier than the others...Crosby finally lost his cool and threw some lame punches.

Last night was a good game, but I think part of it was that it was the real scrappy game I saw from the Sharks. They still go out-shot, but they were fighting up against the boards, pressuring the Pens, and Jones played unreal.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

I love watching the Pen's speed and skill. Wish our team was half as entertaining. This has been a fun series. Like or hate Crosby, you can't deny the skill. The guy is amazing.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Last night was a good game, but I think part of it was that it was the real scrappy game I saw from the Sharks. They still go out-shot, but they were fighting up against the boards, pressuring the Pens, and Jones played unreal.

Of the three games I have watched (1, 4, & 5), Game 5 was probably the best. I will watch the remaining games but my guess is the Pens will finish the sharks on Sunday. Of course, I'm hoping the Sharks pull an upset and win Game 7 in Pittsburgh; that would be hilarious.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Condolences to the solid Sharks fanbase though the Sharks had a great season and still rid themselves of the choke label.

Pathetic that the Pens get the cup. **** that arrogant franchise.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Amazing how the NHL bent over backwards more to help the Penguins than the Coyotes.
Almost all of Pittsburgh gave up on the Penguins in that franchises dark days and it makes me sick to see how the media makes that city seem to care more for their team than San Jose cares for the Sharks.

When everything goes right, it just makes sense to have revisionist history go the way of a franchise, right?

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Their soon to be flash in the pan goalie is the reason why Pittsburgh had any chance at the cup or they would have been done in the 1st Round.

Murray was great too, in particular against the rangers, but I think kessel overall was their mvp. He was a force all through the playoffs.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Amazing how the NHL bent over backwards more to help the Penguins than the Coyotes.
Almost all of Pittsburgh gave up on the Penguins in that franchises dark days and it makes me sick to see how the media makes that city seem to care more for their team than San Jose cares for the Sharks.

When everything goes right, it just makes sense to have revisionist history go the way of a franchise, right?
At a minimum they're a very fortunate franchise. Tanked their way to Mario and some would argue the same with Crosby. Survived 2 bankruptcies and now their hoisting their 4th Cup.

Its an arrogant fan base, the 4 Cups, 6 SB trophies and a rich baseball history will do that.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Playoffs lives on the line and SJ gets one shot in the final period?

I rarely if ever agree with Don Cherry but he's right when he said the Sharks barely played one good period, let alone one good game.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Playoffs lives on the line and SJ gets one shot in the final period?

I rarely if ever agree with Don Cherry but he's right when he said the Sharks barely played one good period, let alone one good game.

Yeah, Grapes has a point. Not a single game of this series led me to believe the Sharks had a prayer of winning the Cup. They were a step or two behind the play at all times.

Congrats to the Pens, and to Phil Kessel for making Toronto's fans and media eat crow.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yeah, Grapes has a point. Not a single game of this series led me to believe the Sharks had a prayer of winning the Cup. They were a step or two behind the play at all times.

Congrats to the Pens, and to Phil Kessel for making Toronto's fans and media eat crow.

Hats off to Kessel. This playoffs were probably the best he has ever played.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Hats off to Kessel. This playoffs were probably the best he has ever played.

He always plays well in the playoffs. He's prob the least likely guy you'd expect to be able to, but he shows up full force in the playoffs.

Kind of amusing actually. Soft, snipers are normally the guys that get way shut down in playoffs.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
BS that sid got the conn smythe, kessel was their best player.

That's the reaction on the Sharks board as well. I can't believe I'm defending Crosby, but I think he was the correct choice, if you're not giving it to the losing team's goalie.

If you look past the numbers, Crosby was visible on both sides of the puck nearly every shift. Kessel was very good, but just not the presence everywhere on the ice in the way that Crosby was.

Also, note that the Conn Smythe Trophy is awarded based on the entire playoff run, and not just the Finals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad