Around the NHL - Part 3 - It's the Final(s) Countdown

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I'd probably give hanzal 3 x 5. Even with his injury history he's a damn useful player.
His 60 games will be worth more to the Yotes than the 82 games they'd get from his replacement. There are not a lot of players like Hanzal available.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
His 60 games will be worth more to the Yotes than the 82 games they'd get from his replacement. There are not a lot of players like Hanzal available.

Totally, and I think 3 years is a good deal because even if he gets worse health wise it's not enough money or term to sink us.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
Hate seeing that the Sharks lost last night although I wasn't able to watch any of it.

However, I do plan to watch Wednesday's game so hopefully the Sharks can take on in Pittsburgh. GO :sharks

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Pathetic to see the Penguins up 2-0 and saved by the timeout in OT. Of course, what's more pathetic is listening to all of this "We're so proud of our team" remarks made in a region(Western PA) that gave up on the Penguins when the team faced the threat of relocation. Blow up the team and have the Pens face relocation again and then we'll see again how truly proud Western PA is of the Pens. Steelers will always be king there even during the worst of times.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Sharks looked like garbage. 11+ mins without a shot in a Cup game is inexcusable. Need to play the 60 minutes.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I watched Game 1, and while it was okay, I felt the Sharks channelled the Coyotes (low number of shots) most of the game.

Seeing the score of Game 2, this may be one of the more "uneventful" Stanley Cup Final in some time. I guess I'll wait until Game 4 or Game 5 (if they make it that far) to tune into for my next game.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
I watched Game 1, and while it was okay, I felt the Sharks channelled the Coyotes (low number of shots) most of the game.

Seeing the score of Game 2, this may be one of the more "uneventful" Stanley Cup Final in some time. I guess I'll wait until Game 4 or Game 5 (if they make it that far) to tune into for my next game.

My thoughts exactly. Not sure why people on here keep saying this is such a 'great' SCF. It's been absolutely boring and one sided.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
My thoughts exactly. Not sure why people on here keep saying this is such a 'great' SCF. It's been absolutely boring and one sided.

It goes to show that while defense is important, offense (and goaltending) is what wins the SCF.
  • SJ has strong defense but limited offense
  • Pitt has strong offense and decent defense
  • SJ has decent goaltending
  • Pitt has excellent depth in goaltending
This does not bode well for the Sharks :(

Of course the Penguins will only lose Cullen, Sestito, Mouillierat, Porter, Lovejoy, and Zatkoff to free agency and only have two RFAs in Bennett and Schultz to re-sign, so they will essentially be the same team next season.

Of the UFAs, Cullen is the only major point scorer and his 32 points should be able to be replaced. Of the RFAs, only Bennett (12 points in 33 games--thus a possible 30 points if he had played closer to a full season) will probably want a significant raise, but Schultz (18 points in 63 games) could try to get a raise as well. I'm guessing Pittsburgh will trade Schultz and/or Bennett in the off-season rather than negotiate contracts with them (unless they try to move Hagelin's or Fehr's contract)

San Jose will lose Spaling, Haley, Zubrus, Polak, Tennyson, and Reimer to free agency. They have 3 RFAs in Hertl, Nieto, and Demelo that they would need to re-sign. So, they'll be roughly the same team as well, but only if they can re-sign Hertl and a decent backup goalie

Of the UFAs, only losing Reimer may affect them, but they could easily replace him with a backup since Jones seems to be their #1 (although they may end up trading Jones at some point if he doesn't get them any wins in the SCF). Now, with RFAs, SJ will need to re-sign Hertl (46 points in 81 games) who has earned a significant raise. Nieto (17 points in 67 games) will want somewhat of a raise, but will probably settle for not too much. Demelo may get a slight raise, but probably nothing too impressive.

Last edited:

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012

I'm not saying it's the best SCF ever, but you have a 1 goal game and an OT. On the scoreboard it's a very competitive series.

Sharks will win it...write it down.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
I'm not saying it's the best SCF ever, but you have a 1 goal game and an OT. On the scoreboard it's a very competitive series.

3 one goal games with 2 OTs...who says this isn't a good series?

That game tying goal was weak on Murray's part.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
Well, for some reason this series never really did it for me, and I think it'll take a couple more Sharks win to do so. This seems like one of those series that everybody outside of Shark & Pen fans will quickly forget.

Down 3-1, and at no point during the series have I honesty thought the Sharks played a better game than the Pens. I hate that the season is ending this year, and I may be wrong and the Sharks come back and make it interesting, but I just can't get into it.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Sadly I think Sharks are playing injured, especially Pavel ski.

But penguins got hot at the right time. They man handled Washington.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Down 3-1, and at no point during the series have I honesty thought the Sharks played a better game than the Pens.

I have only watched Games 1 and 4 and the Sharks have been outplayed. I'm wondering if Tippett slipped the Sharks his game strategies since they have played about as ugly as we did much of the season.

Perhaps Braun, Dillon, Wingels, or Karlsson will be available.

Braun would be a nice veteran addition to compete with Stone for the 2nd pairing.

Karlsson would be a welcomed RHS for 3rd/2nd line duties

Domi - Hanzal - Duclair
Rieder - Strome - Doan/Karlsson
Dvorak - Richardson - Karlsson/Doan
Martinook - Vermette - H. Samuelsson

OEL - Murphy
Demers - Braun/Stone
Connauton - Stone/Michalek​

Of course I'm not sure what they'd want for both Braun and Karlsson

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Coyotes former assistant coach John Anderson has been named assistant coach in Minnesota.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
If Scott Stevens could instill some of his killer instinct on a team's blueliners I'd love to see him replace Playfair. It will be interesting to see how that coaching staff handles the egos in the room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad