Around the NHL - Part 3 - It's the Final(s) Countdown

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
To Vancouver: Gudbranson, 2016 5th
To Florida: McCann, 2016 2nd, 2016 4th

Interesting deal. With Gudbranson being a RHD and McCann a 2014 1st rounder, what's your reaction if this was a deal of Perlini for Gudbranson?

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
So, how are you guys hoping makes it to the final? I despise the Blues so that leaves the Sharks and TB.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Gudbrandson isn't very good. I have no idea what the Canucks are doing. Terrible value.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
To Vancouver: Gudbranson, 2016 5th
To Florida: McCann, 2016 2nd, 2016 4th

Interesting deal. With Gudbranson being a RHD and McCann a 2014 1st rounder, what's your reaction if this was a deal of Perlini for Gudbranson?

Well take the 2016 2nd out, for Gudbranson and I might be okay with it. Not very high on Perlini. Haven't been since we drafted him.

Trade straight up? I'd probably be okay with it.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I feel for Vancouver. Did Benning watch other teams trade off assets to get their #1C and he thinks they will automatically get Nolan Patrick? Because if he did he sure isnt even doing this right. They dont even have a garuentee to get PLD this year.

What Benning has done to that franchise is exactly what everyone fears Tippett doing here.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Jim Benning is channeling his inner Mike Milbury. Almost feel sorry for Vancouver fans. Almost.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
So, how are you guys hoping makes it to the final? I despise the Blues so that leaves the Sharks and TB.

I'm indifferent. I dislike Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay. I am also not a big fan of San Jose or St. Louis, so didn't really care who made it. I'll still watch the finals, but I'm wondering who San Jose has a better chance of beating. I'd guess Pittsburgh, but Tampa Bay has had its own hiccups

Last edited:

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Will be rooting for the Sharks. Who wouldn't want to see Big Joe and Marleau hoist the cup?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Sharks going to the SCF.

Indeed! They missed the playoffs last year and had the 6th best record in the west, yet made it to the finals. Name next years team that missed the playoffs and will go to the finals? I wonder how much of a drag TMac was on that team, and now he is in Edmonton:).....

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
I'm going for the Sharks in the Finals. Unless you are from Pitt/TB, I don't see how you can't.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Let's go shark. Whole team has a middle finger extended to the peanut gallery right now. Love it.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Benning isn't done being an idiot, according to Dreger. Be nice to have an experienced GM capable of pulling off good trades right about now. Virtanen sure would be nice to have.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Benning isn't done being an idiot, according to Dreger. Be nice to have an experienced GM capable of pulling off good trades right about now. Virtanen sure would be nice to have.

So would McDavid.:)

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Pittsburgh didn't win the ECF but the Lightning lost it because of losing Bishop and not having Stamkos back sooner.

I'm gonna puke with all of the Pro-Pittsburgh Pro-Crosby bias being done by the media outside of the Bay Area.

Watch as we'll see all of this crap about Pittsburgh being a great hockey town while trying to undermine how truly great of a hockey town San Jose is.

Go Sharks!

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Pittsburgh didn't win the ECF but the Lightning lost it because of losing Bishop and not having Stamkos back sooner.

I'm gonna puke with all of the Pro-Pittsburgh Pro-Crosby bias being done by the media outside of the Bay Area.

Watch as we'll see all of this crap about Pittsburgh being a great hockey town while trying to undermine how truly great of a hockey town San Jose is.

Go Sharks!

I disagree. Usually in a seven game series the best team wins, and this held true here. Pittsburgh has four good lines, they have speed and their forecheck was unbelievable. They really stepped it up the last two games and the Lightning were no match. I think even with Stamkos and Bishop in the line up the result would have been the same. I wanted a Tampa and Shark final, but this should be a good final. Let's go Sharks.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
It's not like goaltending lost Tampa the series, they were dominated for most games and the goalie actually held them in it. Last night could have been a 4 or 5 goal win for the Pens.
I disagree. Usually in a seven game series the best team wins, and this held true here. Pittsburgh has four good lines, they have speed and their forecheck was unbelievable. They really stepped it up the last two games and the Lightning were no match. I think even with Stamkos and Bishop in the line up the result would have been the same. I wanted a Tampa and Shark final, but this should be a good final. Let's go Sharks.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Two contracts discussed with David Backes as per Friedman:

3 years, 5.5 mil per (rejected)
4 years, 6 mil per

Have to think that those are decent comparables for Marty Hanzal (albeit a shade lower). I'd still rather trade Hanzal than get locked into a deal like that, given his history of injuries.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

4 years, 6 mil per

Have to think that those are decent comparables for Marty Hanzal (albeit a shade lower). I'd still rather trade Hanzal than get locked into a deal like that, given his history of injuries.

If we could trade Hanzal for an upgrade on defense and sign Neilson I would be pretty happy. I dont want to trade Hanzal without getting another center that can play on a good teams 2nd.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

4 years, 6 mil per

Assuming Hanzals latest injury is not back related, next year is important for his contract and trade value. If he stays off the injury list next year, somebody will give him a 4 or 5 year deal, maybe more. His trade value will also be high. If he is injured, we won't get much for him as a rental, and it will hurt his UFA value. If Hanzal is healthy and playing well in the first 15 games next year, that would be the time to get max value. I would think they try to extend him this summer, so they know where they are at should he choose to wait it out. If Hanzal likes it in Arizona and is concerned about his injury risk, he might sign a reasonable deal. Bods refused to sign, let's see what he gets, that could sway Hanzals decision too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad