NHL Around the NHL - Offseason moves and rumblings II - Habs trade Max67 to Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I thought the Wingels addition was a good move at the time. He basically floated and did nothing which was odd seeing as he was known as an energy type guy.
The concussion he got when he got hit from behind didn’t help.

Wingels is a guy who needs to play consistently to be successful.

Always liked him and wish him good luck.

Reactions: TCB and Strafer

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Me too.

And I like Ellis, but when I look at the numbers he has put up over the last 4 seasons, they don’t exactly scream “6 Million Dollar Man”.

Good thing he didn’t want to break the bank...

Krug’s deal looks pretty damn good next to an 8 year, $50m contract handed to a soon to be 28 year old Ellis.
Lol

Ellis should have shown up at press conference with his wife dressed up as Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker

Who needs to rob banks when 32 points gets you $50 M

We need to encourage all our children to be second pair defenseman

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
good lord, Ellis` cap hit a sheet more than Krug and he`s saying he didn`t want to break the bank? Wonder out loud if what he got didn`t break the bank, what was he thinking he`s worth in the first place?

Totally ludicrous contract IMO

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Don't know where to put this, but if you have an Athletic subscription this is a great read:

Dellow: How Mike Babcock (and others) are sheltering...

TLDR; is using the Leafs as a case study showing how often top pairing D go against top lines (a lot lot lot more than Corsi based QoC would have you believe), but also how NHL coaches make an effort to put out lessor D against top forwards when the top forwards are near the end of their shift so there is less risk. Fun stuff.

Reactions: gumgum

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009
I may not be right here, but isn’t the Jack Adams usually won by a coach that gets an underdog to overachieve? Much like Gallant last season. Or a team/coach that overcome adversity like major injuries and still meet or exceed expectations. The top four candidates in the article are coaches for stacked teams that would probably need to have absolutely dominant regular seasons to win the Adams.

Guys like Boughner, Peters and maybe Tocchet are probably a better shouts although it’s obviously difficult to predict which teams will overachieve. I find it pretty pointless to try to predict an award like this where there’s so many unknown factors in play.

Cassidy and the Bs would obv have had a good shot last year if it wasn’t for Gallant that was the obvious winner. Would probably need to win the Atlantic this season to have a chance. Did Butch finish second in the vote?

Reactions: Strafer

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
Reactions: Strafer

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I know Postma never really played, but Wingels was in our playoff lineup. He played well, but these guys are literally no longer NHL players. That’s not a really good look.

Postma was brought in as depth D-man, but got passed by Gryz, and had the misfortune of playing for a team that was relatively healthy on D up until March, and by then Holden was here too.

Unfortunately for Wingels, teams now would rather just see what they got in their young players than give him a guaranteed deal. Him (and others like him) are becoming more and more reliant on PTOs. He'll make a nice living in the Swiss League, I don't blame him for taking guaranteed money over a PTO or a two-way deal where he'd likely earn less on a AHL salary than he will in the Swiss League.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Postma was brought in as depth D-man, but got passed by Gryz, and had the misfortune of playing for a team that was relatively healthy on D up until March, and by then Holden was here too.

Unfortunately for Wingels, teams now would rather just see what they got in their young players than give him a guaranteed deal. Him (and others like him) are becoming more and more reliant on PTOs. He'll make a nice living in the Swiss League, I don't blame him for taking guaranteed money over a PTO or a two-way deal where he'd likely earn less on a AHL salary than he will in the Swiss League.

Are those salaries ever released so that we know how much they're making there vs. what they would make on a 2 way NHL deal?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Wingels wasn't a great player, but he brought good energy. I'm kind of surprised he couldn't find a third or fourth line role on a mediocre-to-bad team.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Wingels wasn't a great player, but he brought good energy. I'm kind of surprised he couldn't find a third or fourth line role on a mediocre-to-bad team.

I`m not so sure he wouldn`t have. I know it`s mid August but we have all seen PTO`s being given to those later than this date but I think it`s a case of Wingles getting a deal across the pond so he took it

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Haggs at it again, this time posing Oilers possible interest in Krug, suggesting RNH heading this way.

No thanks to his 6mil salary. I believe Donato has the potential to fill the 3c slot, and, a lot cheaper.
The summer of BOS-EDM trade rumors/proposals. Haggerty's source is Mr. Sláinte himself who said Sekera's injury may start talks again. I can't wait until this summer is over.

Reactions: northeastern

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
RELEASE: Chelios named team ambassador

cut.jpg

Just getting to this thread for some reason.

Undoubtedly....the most overrated player of all time!

Plus a dirty spot picking coward.

Other than that, he's great.

Reactions: jgatie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad