Around the NHL - Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
So many bad teams in the east next season it will be Interesting to watch Montreal Ottawa and the islanders in a race to the bottom.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Have a little trivia question for everyone here:

When was the last time that all three tri-state hockey teams failed to make the playoffs in the same season?

No cheating ;)

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
wow actually I just checked...that has never happened that all 3 teams missed the playoffs in the same season...I guess this season will be the first time for sure.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
wow actually I just checked...that has never happened that all 3 teams missed the playoffs in the same season...I guess this season will be the first time for sure.
Was a trick question :)

You nailed it on the head. There's a distinct possibility that it happens for the first time this year. Islanders will be racing to the basement. Lundqvist will keep the Rangers away from the basements but ultimately miss out again. The Devils are not a shoe in really unless Hall replicates his MVP season.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Was a trick question :)

You nailed it on the head. There's a distinct possibility that it happens for the first time this year. Islanders will be racing to the basement. Lundqvist will keep the Rangers away from the basements but ultimately miss out again. The Devils are not a shoe in really unless Hall replicates his MVP season.

I think one of NJ or NYI make the playoffs this season. Specifically NJ. I don't think they are done adding yet. I expect to see them bargain bin shop again like they have with Palmieri and Johansson in the past few years

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I think one of NJ or NYI make the playoffs this season. Specifically NJ. I don't think they are done adding yet. I expect to see them bargain bin shop again like they have with Palmieri and Johansson in the past few years
How. I mean yeah, I get that you say 'one of' and lean towards NJ but how in the world are the Isles even in this realm of possibility.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Crazy things happen every year
They missed by 17 points last year and did nothing but get exponentially worse this off-season.

And before I get hit with the Devils went from last to playoffs, I mean, compare off-seasons and rosters.

But also you are right, crazy things happen every year. So who knows.

Last edited:
Reactions: haveandare

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
devils are not making the playoffs next year...no way no how...neither are we or the isles

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yeah isles are going to have to do some other stuff to get in next year.

I do think it’s funny that some thing that a switch in coaches makes the Rangers a playoff contender but don’t think the isles coaching change will help them. I get that they lost JT, but I bet trotz has them right about where they finished this season.

Reactions: jas

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
I get the "anything can happen" principle because its technically true and crazy things happen.

But the Islanders have literally been the opposite of 'good things falling from the sky' for like 25 years now and they're having a disaster off-season at the moment.

I feel like it'd be a safe wager to assume that NYI would be hashtag not good this coming season.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
The Islanders coaching staff is better but there roster is miles worse. Not only did they lose their best player they also signed a bunch of players who are negatives. And several of their other high scoring forwards were largely a product of JT and will see their production drop.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
They missed by 17 points last year and did nothing but get exponentially worse this off-season.

And before I get hit with the Devils went from last to playoffs, I mean, compare off-seasons and rosters.

But also you are right, crazy things happen every year. So who knows.

Yeah I mean I’m no betting on them making the playoffs, but crazy stuff happens every year.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
they overachieved last year and got exposed in the playoffs...no way they get in

devils are not making the playoffs next year...no way no how

So who takes their spot? Could be Florida as they were pretty close...but I'd never put my money on them. Carolina? Not sure what the plan is there. So who? "No way" is a pretty bold statement.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

Being coached by one of the top dmen in NHL history and having a great defensive developmental coach should be pretty good for that Dahlin kid we keep hearing about.

Reactions: TheTakedown

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The Islanders coaching staff is better but there roster is miles worse. Not only did they lose their best player they also signed a bunch of players who are negatives. And several of their other high scoring forwards were largely a product of JT and will see their production drop.
Yeah I'm interested to see how Barzal performs. He's a great player, but I want to see him replicate his production now that he's "the guy" there. He'll obviously get more minutes and opportunities, but he'll definitely be facing tougher match-ups. Should be interesting so see how it works.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Tavares gave the Islanders 9 years. They lost him because they were incompetent. Management and ownership had plenty of time to put a quality team around Tavares. Lamoriello isn’t planning to write off the season and rebuild. He is 76 years old. There are players available for the Islanders to acquire in a trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad