OT: Around the NHL: non-Pens playoff talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Because NHL fans are mega mad about Kucherov sitting out for the full year, and I like to see those people get mad about things they were whining about :laugh:

You don’t think it’s reasonable or people to be upset at the Lighting for committing blatant cap circumvention and not getting punished for it?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You don’t think it’s reasonable or people to be upset at the Lighting for committing blatant cap circumvention and not getting punished for it?

It's not blatant cap circumvention because there's literally no rule against it

^^what they said.

The whining about the Lightning keeping Tyler Johnson by keeping Kucherov on LTIR is ridiculous from hockey fans.

Reactions: bathroomSTAAL

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
This legitimately may be the best series in the entire playoffs and it's only round 1.

Shame these two teams have never played each other before this year.
I dunno, there's a lot of juicy matchups down the road. COL/VGK, COL/Minnesota, Leafs/Oilers. Should be a good playoffs.

But yeah this game rules

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
3 goals is totally acceptable for a playoff game. Allowing 4 to an anemic Islanders side is not. That's why we lost.

We shouldn't be aiming to win games 5-4 at this stage, and giving them as many grade A looks as we did.

I don't think offense is going to be our problem this year, if we get eliminated. If the Islanders can't shut us down then why will other teams be able to?

agree that 3 goals should be enough...but finishing has been an overall problem in our PO losses...1.91 goals per game average in the POs over the last three seasons

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I dunno, there's a lot of juicy matchups down the road. COL/VGK, COL/Minnesota, Leafs/Oilers. Should be a good playoffs.

But yeah this game rules

Vegas-Colorado and Toronto-Edmonton are both going to be epis, and I think those are still safe bets to happen. Even with Vegas losing tonight, I don't see Talbot playing well enough to eliminate the Knights.

Reactions: bathroomSTAAL

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
It's not blatant cap circumvention because there's literally no rule against it

It’s not against the rules to keep a player who isn’t really hurt on LTIR to intentionally free up cap space to keep certain guys on the roster and to trade for one of the best defensemen available at the deadline?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I always found it odd when some fans would insist hockey in the south wouldn't work. No, hockey in the south with no rivals wouldn't work. But hockey in the south with rivalries? That can absolutely work.

The Tampa-Florida series is obvious, but imagine Vegas playing a good Anaheim or LA team. Or imagine how good a Dallas-Houston matchup would be if Houston got a team. The issue is that some southern teams have had shit owners/management, not that hockey wouldn't work in the south.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
It’s not against the rules to put a player who isn’t really hurt on LTIR to intentionally free up cap space to keep certain guys on the roster and to trade for one of the best defensemen available at the deadline?
Did he not have hip surgery? I honestly don't know. I thought he did

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
agree that 3 goals should be enough...but finishing has been an overall problem in our PO losses...1.91 goals per game average in the POs over the last three seasons
Sure but we live in the now. And the now says the Isles are giving up way too many chances to hold us off, game after game.

The playoffs were supposed to be their defensive calling card right? Trotz's domain, right? They can't seem to do it.

If the Isles win this series it'll be because of shit like today, not because they can lock us down. Our finishing isn't gonna matter much if there's frequent giveaways like what Matheson did in OT.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Bring back the QC Nordiques. This is the type of rivalery the league needs.

10/10 hockey.

If the NHL moved the Sabres to Quebec and the Coyotes to Houston, I feel like the divisions would fall into place really nicely with some awesome divisions. You could even have an entirely Canadian division with doing that.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Did he not have hip surgery? I honestly don't know. I thought he did

He did have surgery, so I edited my post to say keep instead of put. Also his surgery was similar to Brayden Points and Point didn’t miss the entire regular season last year. Kucherov was easily healthy way before now and they kept him on IR to circumvent the cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad