Around the NHL (NHL Tonight is an Abomination)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sureshot

Thumbs up, soldier!
Apr 7, 2009
I was at the throwback night, and must say it was awesome.

Naturally, I showed up in my Mario jersey (and got a couple of chirps as usual). At the start of the game, they introduced the stars of the inaugural season team, then between periods they had them signing stuff outside. Even as a Pens fan, this was pretty cool as I got into hockey by way of the NHL games, so I always remember when the Ducks got added to the game from '94 onwards (they were bad so you played them a lot for easy wins. See also: Ottawa, San Jose). So I got the likes of Terry Yake, Bobby Dollas and Guy Herbert to sign my team picture that they handed out at the start.

During the game everything was 90s - the videos on the jumbotron, the music they played (including goal music), and of course the jerseys they were wearing. The whole experience just made you feel like someone had shoved you into a time machine. Probably the only thing that slightly sucked was the Sens were wearing their current jerseys, but I can understand that since they'd have to make & market a whole new jersey for no real reason to them.

At the end of the game we bumped into Stu Grimson. He hung out with us for a bit and took a pic with my girlfriend, which she was obviously pleased as punch about.

All in all it was a great time, and if the Pens ever did something similar I'd be there in a flash.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The funny thing about all of the Mighty Ducks love is that those jerseys were universally reviled the last time they were worn.

I guess 7 years of looking at the garbage that replaced it can make anything look good.

It's ****ing eggplant & jade, people. These are grown men wearing eggplant & jade. It's fun as a once-a-year retro thing, but it's embarrassing to both the players and the league to have a team named after a children's movie.

The Ducks do need to do something, though. For as much as I think of these jerseys as 90s marketing run amok (still prefer it to all of the stupid black & red 'tough' crap that came soon after, I'm looking at you Buffalo) they're still preferable to the boring team owner's wife-designed regular look. That team needs a total re-brand again.

I have always loved those jerseys so "universally reviled" is not appropriate.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Feel bad for the fans, but not Devils management. They signed a bunch of guys that couldn't score, and they didn't forfeit their 1st round pick in 2012 when they had the 29th pick.

And from reading the Devils board, it looks like they hate DeBoer for some of the same reasons we've been frustrated with Bylsma. He hates young players and plays crappy try-hard guys in their places.

I remember when I wished DeBoer was the coach of the Pens, back when the Devils went to the SCF. :laugh:

Possibly. Though the Capitals traded Forsberg for Erat, and then Oates won't play Erat in the top 6 because he's a left-handed RW (he's OCD about wingers not playing their off-wing). Devils got some competition in that regard as to who is more shortsighted.

No. Not close. The Devils could have forfeited a low draft pick, but instead chose to use said pick and draft a player with red flags. Now, they are faced with the possibility of losing what could be an opportunity to draft a franchise player. That is just poor asset management.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I remember when I wished DeBoer was the coach of the Pens, back when the Devils went to the SCF. :laugh:

No. Not close. The Devils could have forfeited a low draft pick, but instead chose to use said pick and draft a player with red flags. Now, they are faced with the possibility of losing what could be an opportunity to draft a franchise player. That is just poor asset management.

Devils also signed Ryane Slowe for 5 years, 24.25M !! Also they have mightily struggling Travis Zajac signed until 2021 with cap hit of 5.75M. They also have Anton Volchenkov signed for 3 more years with cap hit of 4.25M. They have one of the worst prospect pools in the league, one of the oldest and slowest teams in the league and they are facing a possibility of losing a top10 pick.. They are on a 6-game losing streak to start the season while facing Fleury, Nabokov, Luongo, LaBarbera, MacDonald and Montoya of all goalies :shakehead

And we, on the other hand, are complaining about Matt Niskanen or whatever similar. Good problems, folks.

BumFortyOne

Nov 13, 2006
Berkeley
Feel bad for the fans, but not Devils management. They signed a bunch of guys that couldn't score, and they didn't forfeit their 1st round pick in 2012 when they had the 29th pick.

And from reading the Devils board, it looks like they hate DeBoer for some of the same reasons we've been frustrated with Bylsma. He hates young players and plays crappy try-hard guys in their places.

Pretty sure that is the complaint about 90% of the people on this board have for the coach of their favorite team.

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
The Rangers just confirmed they waived Asham (what a shame, still really like him) and Biron.

What's up there? Bryz? Do they have someone capable down in the A?

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
His cap hit seems to be at 1.3 million. Wouldn't that create problems again?

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Yeah your probably right, maybe they could make a trade with NYR and have NYR keep some of his salary like they did with Jokinen last year.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah I think the Pens should go for Biron, Zatkoff just seems like another Brad Thiessen.

I think Biron would succeed here, he hasn't done well in New York this year but neither has Lundqvist, and to me, Biron is a better option than Zatkoff, we're not talking a couple of weeks without Vokoun, it's 3-6 months. We need a more reliable back up, that's Biron.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Zatkoff wasn't very good against the Panthers, but it was his first NHL game. He's possibly got some upside. I don't think the Pens will panic and jump on someone like Biron or others of his ilk - who have no upside and probably a bigger cap hit - until Zatkoff gets a few more games.

Smacker

#LetsGoPens
Aug 15, 2012
Zatkoff wasn't very good against the Panthers, but it was his first NHL game. He's possibly got some upside. I don't think the Pens will panic and jump on someone like Biron or others of his ilk - who have no upside and probably a bigger cap hit - until Zatkoff gets a few more games.

Agree. I'm pretty sure Shero won't panic with Zatkoff before he gets a few more games and show can he play in the NHL or not.

Biron could be a solid backup but we don't have cap space for him.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
How has Iginla been with Bruins? 1 assist in 5 games.

From what i'v seen he looks the same as he did last year with the pens, he will probably get some points playing the power play, but hes not a good 5 on 5 player anymore, you would think Boston would of noticed that in last years series against the pens.

themethod7

Jan 25, 2013
NWPA
Agree. I'm pretty sure Shero won't panic with Zatkoff before he gets a few more games and show can he play in the NHL or not.

Biron could be a solid backup but we don't have cap space for him.

I agree that Shero will probably give him another few games to prove he belongs in the NHL, but from what I saw of him in the Panthers game, I would not be at all surprised if we're looking for a new backup before Thanksgiving. Sure, it was his first game, but nothing about the way he played looked NHL-ready - I have a hard time believing it was simply a case of nerves.

As for Biron... pass.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Why couldn't EDM/Washington have been on this afternoon? Boston/DET was the only decent game on today.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Biron is done, he's been terrible this year. Iginla was notorious for very slow starts with be Flames. He won't get rolling until December.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad