NHL Around the NHL: NHL Sells Naming Rights to Divisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
And if Roy had retired instead? At least with the trade the Habs got something for him (this was their version of the Thornton & Seguin trades). If he had retired they'd have gotten nothing.

Probably better for his career in Colorado but I think a lot of other goalies would have taken their beating and moved on to the next game. Roy had a diva moment. Boo hoo Roy stop the puck. That bitterness for Detroit followed him to Colorado

Reactions: BMC

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
News like this is telling.

All Warner Bros 2021 Movies Will Release To HBO Max Same Day As Theaters

Is there any way for a league like the NHL to squeeze some more revenue out of home viewers?

If not, all sides are going to have to take a pretty big haircut as have other industries.

I guess the question becomes at what point does it simply not make financial sense to have a season?

Brian Burke yesterday said there are 10-12 owners who are completely fine with not having a season in 2021 as they simply have no chance of being profitable without paying fans in their building. He said the owners hold the hammer here with the force majeure clause and the players basically have no viable recourse. They will have to eat what the owners feed them, whether that is a reduction in pay, or a total cancellation of the season.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Canadian teams not considering outdoor games and the players may need to take a pay cut. Year looks like it will be Feb start as I thought all along, if it even happens.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Being discussed now on 98.5:

Elliot Friedman says discussions have happened between players/owners;
Mid-January start date
Players report 2 weeks earlier
Non-playoff teams get 2 extra weeks of camp
50-55 game schedule

Reactions: lopey

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Brian Burke yesterday said there are 10-12 owners who are completely fine with not having a season in 2021 as they simply have no chance of being profitable without paying fans in their building. He said the owners hold the hammer here with the force majeure clause and the players basically have no viable recourse. They will have to eat what the owners feed them, whether that is a reduction in pay, or a total cancellation of the season.

I read something that suggested the league wouldn't be able to use the Force Majeure clause because the CBA was negotiated over the summer, so COVID impacting the season couldn't be viewed as an unforseeable circumstance. I guess it depends on how the courts view it.

I think one of the biggest factors supporting the season is the fact that it's the last year of the TV deal. They need to play in order to burn that last year, and it behooves them to do so with the expected increase on the new deal.

Reactions: lopey and BruinDust

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
Being discussed now on 98.5:

Elliot Friedman says discussions have happened between players/owners;
Mid-January start date
Players report 2 weeks earlier
Non-playoff teams get 2 extra weeks of camp
50-55 game schedule
Pierre LeBrun is reporting much the same. Below are his main points.
• The Jan. 1 start date both sides were clinging to is no longer realistic given where we are on the calendar. On Thursday, for the first time, the NHL asked the NHLPA about a mid-January start to the season.
• A 52-game and 56-game schedule were both discussed as options Thursday night, but a source says the preference for both sides would be 56 games for obvious revenue reasons.
• Training camps for all 31 teams would start around Jan. 2, although that could still be tweaked.
• The seven-day voluntary pre-camps for the seven teams not involved in the postseason remains on the table, a source said. But another source said it wasn’t 100 percent it could happen, that both sides need to figure that out. The NHL definitely wants it. The pre-camps for the Ducks, Kings, Sharks, Senators, Red Wings, Sabres and Devils, under this new timetable, would be slated to open in late December.
• Obviously, the COVID numbers remain a huge concern. As we get deeper into December, the NHL and NHLPA have to keep the door open for further delays depending on the safety of being able to lunch the season in mid-January. The pandemic could still force a further delay and start into February.
• Sources suggest the NHL is adamant about wrapping up the Stanley Cup Final by early July, ahead of the summer Olympics. In part, because TV partner NBC is broadcasting those Olympics but another important part is wanting to get back to the normal schedule cycle ahead of the 2021-22 season. Not only is Seattle entering the fray as the NHL’s 32nd team then but the NHL and NHLPA still plan to send players to the winter Olympics in Beijing and therefore have to plan an Olympic two-week break into the schedule.
Again, the financial issues remain before this season’s plans can be finalized and announced.
This is just me, but at some point, over the next week I do think the players will finally come back and be willing to defer a bit more salary, but not at the level the NHL asked for. And the players will justifiably want something back in return.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
For reference's sake, the 2013 lockout year began on January 19th, and the 48 games wrapped up on April 28th (would've been the 27th if not for that Ottawa game that got postponed due to the manhunt). The finals went until June 24th. 52 or 56 games would take you to the second week in May, I'm assuming, then probably the cup in early July. It'll be different, but not anything radically terrible.

Reactions: lopey

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I read something that suggested the league wouldn't be able to use the Force Majeure clause because the CBA was negotiated over the summer, so COVID impacting the season couldn't be viewed as an unforseeable circumstance. I guess it depends on how the courts view it.

I think one of the biggest factors supporting the season is the fact that it's the last year of the TV deal. They need to play in order to burn that last year, and it behooves them to do so with the expected increase on the new deal.

Maybe, Burke is a lawyer he says the force majeure would still be applicable in this case and he's read the clauses and he thinks it's an easily won case for the league. Honestly I have no idea.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Rumor: Detroit and Tampa Bay Closing in on a Trade - NHL Rumors - NHLTradeRumors.Me

Tampa trades Alex Killorn, Tyler Johnson, and a 1 for nothing but Cap Space?

Yzerman who signed these guys to these bad contracts would trade for them lol

Hilarious

Tampa not making playoffs

The Killorn contract isn't terrible. 3-years left (age 31/32/33 seasons). Had the best year of his career last year at age 30 (30 goal/60 pt pace). Same age as Smith who Boston just signed to a 3-year deal. I'd take Killorn over Smith in a nanosecond, even if he makes 1 million more per year.

By my count had Sweeney given Killorn that contract it would only be his 5th worst contract handed out.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The Killorn contract isn't terrible. 3-years left (age 31/32/33 seasons). Had the best year of his career last year at age 30 (30 goal/60 pt pace). Same age as Smith who Boston just signed to a 3-year deal. I'd take Killorn over Smith in a nanosecond, even if he makes 1 million more per year.

By my count had Sweeney given Killorn that contract it would only be his 5th worst contract handed out.
Problem is Killorn leaving hurts Tampa - too me it’s a good contract

to remove Johnson you lose a glue guy in Killorn and a 1

horrible if you are Tampa fan

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Wasn't this the same guy who said Hall to Nashville was a lock? Pretty sure he's just some rando with a blog
No idea who it is I just found it interesting- Tampa would be getting bent over big time if that was to happen

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Probably better for his career in Colorado but I think a lot of other goalies would have taken their beating and moved on to the next game. Roy had a diva moment. Boo hoo Roy stop the puck. That bitterness for Detroit followed him to Colorado

still one of the nastiest rivalries at that time in hockey

Reactions: sarge88

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I just fundamentally don't understand this mentality. Do you not like hockey?

Any hockey is better than none. If it's bubble style based on geography, or if its a somewhat regular season, it's still the best players in world squaring off.
so are all star games :sarcasm:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
There are rumors that there could be a Canadian only league and probably a realignment with the other divisions based off of geography. Maybe only a few buildings will be open given each geographical location? It'll be interesting to see how things shape out.
Canadian only league idea starting to crack. Tripwires every where. BC pushing a no cross border travel in and out of province restriction. Not good for Canucks. Toronto has lock downs all over. Alberta on verge of lock down.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

Roy admits today he wished he had handled that better..................but added his "attitude" helped get him over many hurdles to become and stay a pro athlete. In this case it hurt him. "Live by the sword"

I also think Roy seen the writing on the wall when Corey fired Savard AND replaced him with Houle.
The Canadiens have basically stunk ever since.
Roy stepped off in what seemed to be a too perfect window. Played eight more years on a Cup contender. While the Habs hung out in the basement of the league.

Last edited:
Reactions: AngryMilkcrates
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad