NHL Around the NHL: NHL Sells Naming Rights to Divisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Yay! This news is so much better than the "no progress" news that we've been hearing for a while.

And unlike the NFL, I actually have complete confidence that the NHL will be able to come back SAFELY.

I'm excited!

After seeing what they accomplished to finish off that playoff tournament, and comparing the success of that to all of the outbreaks and stoppages in other sports, I have to agree with ya

Reactions: Alicat

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Yay! This news is so much better than the "no progress" news that we've been hearing for a while.

And unlike the NFL, I actually have complete confidence that the NHL will be able to come back SAFELY.

I'm excited!

Honest question: Do you think the NHL would have done anything remotely close to stimulus package for teams if they were not getting $650 million in expansion fees from Seattle?

I don't think so.

One NHL GM said "If we don't play, we'll (his team) lose $15 million. If we do play, We'll lose close to $60 million."

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I put this in the roster thread, but I guess here would have been better. Swayman does a good amount of stuff on Instagram and I saw today he was back in Boston.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I'm having serious trouble believing Baker is going to let them fill 42.5% of TD Garden when they wouldn't let any fans into Gillette. Seems like a misleading tweet.

After today's announcement forget about fans

Indoor theaters, performance venues, and higher contact indoor recreation businesses will be required to close

Reactions: HustleB

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617

Indoor theaters, performance venues, and higher contact indoor recreation businesses will be required to close
My local movie theater is supposed to be closing. Apparently an Amazon facility will be in its place. Its extremely upsetting.

Revere Showcase Cinemas. I know Somerville has a new theater, but I liked having my local one.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

Yeah, that tweet probably should have been: "The Bruins asked Governor Baker if they could have up to 7,500 fans in TD Garden and then he laughed in their face before realizing they were serious."

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Instead of having one abnormal season, they have two so far. They could have ended the season when they closed down everything. They could have awarded the best record the Cup or no one. The next season could have started in October, like it should have. Greed!

Root

Feb 22, 2010
Instead of having one abnormal season, they have two so far. They could have ended the season when they closed down everything. They could have awarded the best record the Cup or no one. The next season could have started in October, like it should have. Greed!

You're missing the mark. Big time.

Reactions: HustleB

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
It will be interesting to see what kind of packages will be available as far as TV coverage goes . With a Canadian division will all those games be on Sportsnet ? NHL tv can’t possibly charge the full price for a shortened season can they ?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Information we’ve gathered over the last 48 hours indicates that the owners might have reason to be angry — but not at the union. Indeed, we’ve been told by two sources that club owners were largely uninformed about the spring and summer negotiations and had little or no time to examine the CBA before it was put to a vote.

Now that the owners understand the ramifications of the deal given the challenges of playing at least a largely spectator-free 2020-21, there is a group livid at the commissioner and deputy Bill Daly. We are told that Boston’s “Mr. Jacobs” is among them.
Now isn’t that a shame?

Don’t you hate when that happens?

https://nypost.com/2020/12/05/nhls-financial-squabble-rooted-in-owners-cba-botch/

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
Information we’ve gathered over the last 48 hours indicates that the owners might have reason to be angry — but not at the union. Indeed, we’ve been told by two sources that club owners were largely uninformed about the spring and summer negotiations and had little or no time to examine the CBA before it was put to a vote.

Now that the owners understand the ramifications of the deal given the challenges of playing at least a largely spectator-free 2020-21, there is a group livid at the commissioner and deputy Bill Daly. We are told that Boston’s “Mr. Jacobs” is among them.
Now isn’t that a shame?

https://nypost.com/2020/12/05/nhls-financial-squabble-rooted-in-owners-cba-botch/
I have no pity for Jacobs. If he don’t like it he should sell the team. He enjoyed penny pinching players and going by the bottom line all the time. The tide has turned.. Just deal with it people have it much worse out there. I’m glad he’s mad.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Dying to know if there will be expanded rosters and how that will work Cap wise.

They won't expand the rosters I don't think. Money/cap is tight enough as it is. I think what we will see is a taxi squad of players who will be paid their AHL salaries but be based out of the home city and not the AHL location. I think a lot of the guys loaned to the Europe clubs will stay there and not return for this season (guys like Steen, Lantosi, etc.). Zboril will probably be the exception. Just my opinion.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Now isn’t that a shame?

I find it hard to believe that the owners' legal teams didn't have enough time to review the deal. I mean, come on, when something like this comes up that involves tens of millions of dollars you make the time to review the deal. And whatever else he might be, Gary Bettman is no dummy.

Too bad so sad for JJ. Not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad