NHL Around the NHL: NHL Sells Naming Rights to Divisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005

Man, That's tough. Truly one of my favorite Bruins. Loved watching him play.

My best memory is that I saw the Bruins play a pre-season game in Saskatoon and I saw a "Johnny Rocket" live and in person. IT WAS RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!!!! Man that boy can shoot the puck.

Too way to end JB but congrats on a great career.

You'll always be a Stanley Cup Champion.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Literally nothing bad to say about Boychuk. Just a solid player that improved his play season to season, and upped it again when it mattered the most.

I'd be lying if that fan made highlight package just posted didn't make me sad though. It's difficult to watch and NOT notice the scoreboard in the 2013 Cup Final clips. They had that series. f*** they had that series.

All the best to Boychuk. I'm sure he felt he had a couple years left still and it was a tough decision to walk, but his health and safety is clearly held in higher regard. He can retire and enjoy his 30's, and still be able to look back on a hard fought career with such great pride.

Reactions: BMC

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
David Amber is joined by Sportsnet NHL Insiders Elliotte Friedman and Chris Johnston to discuss whether the NHL is any closer to a firm starting date for the 2020-21 season.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
I just don't see the NHL opening up until they have crowds in the stands for the gate, parking, and concession take. This isn't specific to the B's but all around the league. There isn't enough money in the TV rights and merchandising to keep many / any (?) teams afloat and I seriously doubt they are going to get a lot of public aid to pay people millions to play a game to a camera when mainstreet is bleeding in the streets. Add to it the possible distortion between the US and Canada in terms of any possible aid to keep the teams / league afloat and you have a powder keg for the BoD to deal with. If somehow it does come back without fans, parking, concessions, etc... players are going to be taking a much bigger haircut than the 20%-30% they are currently talking about because as revenues dry up, the fixed cost as a % of the total costs just increases and there is left to go around.

I don't know, I just don't see it happening until fall 2021.

Reactions: PaulD

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

I get frequent updates from NBC and they don't know what is going on.

I suspect Bettman is watching the NFL closely and the last thing anyone wants is to start a season they can not finish.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I get frequent updates from NBC and they don't know what is going on.

I suspect Bettman is watching the NFL closely and the last thing anyone wants is to start a season they can not finish.

Yeah I would say so. It's Dec 1 and there's no official plan and the players don't even have a date for returning to training yet. I think it's safe to say at this point that the mooted Jan 1 start date is not happening. I was always hopeful mid-year that we'd get the playoffs at some point because it was a relatively short tournament that could be done in a very controlled environment in summer/fall when virus numbers were likely to be lower. But the obstacles are so much greater for a regular season, especially one that is indoors, has an international border issue and is more dependent on the revenue from crowds attending games than some.

The longer the league hesitates, understandably, the more I think we won't get a 20/21 season and the best option will simply become to wait and reset and plan a proper 21/22 season that's ideally as close to normal as possible.

Reactions: Fenway
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad