NHL Around the NHL IX - Islanders En Fuego

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
74274955_10157846843027652_674519623084802048_n.jpg

Habs beat the Leafs again this season. WOW, buckle up because its going to get interesting in the center of the "hockey universe"

Reactions: Strafer

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Watching the game in my hometown now. It's friggin cold, flurries and windy here but not a bad game so far

Go Flames ...I can't stand most of the Jets (especially Scheifele)

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
Dumpster fire of goalie interference reviews in the NHL continues.. there is no way you can disallow the Bruins goal against the avalanche and then allow that

Last edited:

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I know Jim Montgomery led the Stars on a decent playoff run last year, but I have to question what he's doing in Dallas.

The team has multiple offensive weapons yet can't score and they have an abysmal power play. Additionally, the entertainment factor of their games is dismal.

I don't know if his job is on the line, though.

I also wonder if Jeremy Colliton might be on the hot seat. The Hawks are playing some truly uninspired hockey.

I know they thought they were being progressive bringing in the hip, young millennial, but look what the old school Craig Berube did in St. Louis.;)

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I saw part of it. It was a game that only a habs fan could love. I got the impression that the Leafs may have quit on their coach.

The best part of that, if true, is that the Leafs organization has to admit they made a mistake getting Babcock, there are big egos in Leafland and it will only get more entertaining. I think the ghost of Harold Ballard is haunting them...lol!

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I saw part of it. It was a game that only a habs fan could love. I got the impression that the Leafs may have quit on their coach.

I don`t know if they have quit on Babcock but man they sure look like a team who, for stretches looks terribly disinterested. Babcock gets a grossly exaggerated amount of love from far too many about being such a terrific coach but I`ve never seen it. Even when he was winning/challenging for Cups in Detroit, he did so with so many first ballot HOF`ers that it would have been embarrassing not to have been but once we saw them aging and the Wings introducing new bodies, often younger players, we also saw Babcock struggle to put together an in game/season plan.

We watched him take over the Leafs when they were horrible so you can understand the 1st and maybe the 2nd year in TO as he was trying to implement his system (whatever that is), but he`s now in his 5th year there, DNQ in year one, 3 first round exits in the other 3 years and NOT ONE bit of improvement shown or commitment shown to teaching or implementing a system that allows his goalie to not see 35+ pucks a night. Hasn`t made it out of the 2nd round since 08/09

It`s not just SOG that his team allows, it`s the fact that once you get possession in the Leafs zone, it`s far more rare to see them force plays and turnovers, getting a cycle going is fairly easy and going to the front of the net hardly requires courage from opponents as they are creampuffs back there.

Babs is simply, IMO, an average coach who was gift wrapped a ridiculously talented Red Wings team, then gets the red carpet treatment for opening doors on the bench for the Olympics

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Babcock gets a grossly exaggerated amount of love from far too many about being such a terrific coach but I`ve never seen it. Even when he was winning/challenging for Cups in Detroit, he did so with so many first ballot HOF`ers that it would have been embarrassing not to have been but once we saw them aging and the Wings introducing new bodies, often younger players, we also saw Babcock struggle to put together an in game/season plan.

Babs is simply, IMO, an average coach who was gift wrapped a ridiculously talented Red Wings team, then gets the red carpet treatment for opening doors on the bench for the Olympics

Could not agree more. IMO Babcock is just like Scotty Bowman or Phil Jackson - seems to do extremely well when coaching an All-Star laden team but doesn't do very much with an average team.

DCHabitant

Feb 24, 2013
I don`t know if they have quit on Babcock but man they sure look like a team who, for stretches looks terribly disinterested. Babcock gets a grossly exaggerated amount of love from far too many about being such a terrific coach but I`ve never seen it. Even when he was winning/challenging for Cups in Detroit, he did so with so many first ballot HOF`ers that it would have been embarrassing not to have been but once we saw them aging and the Wings introducing new bodies, often younger players, we also saw Babcock struggle to put together an in game/season plan.

We watched him take over the Leafs when they were horrible so you can understand the 1st and maybe the 2nd year in TO as he was trying to implement his system (whatever that is), but he`s now in his 5th year there, DNQ in year one, 3 first round exits in the other 3 years and NOT ONE bit of improvement shown or commitment shown to teaching or implementing a system that allows his goalie to not see 35+ pucks a night. Hasn`t made it out of the 2nd round since 08/09

It`s not just SOG that his team allows, it`s the fact that once you get possession in the Leafs zone, it`s far more rare to see them force plays and turnovers, getting a cycle going is fairly easy and going to the front of the net hardly requires courage from opponents as they are creampuffs back there.

Agree. Especially agree on the Olympic accolades. He rolled 4 lines of star players, with nearly equal TOI. I think I could've "coached" that team to victory.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Cant see the Leafs going anywhere, Montreal showed they had more depth last night. Its ridiculous that marner is payed so much more than Pasta. That's essentially a top 4 D man the difference in salary. Leafs stars only thought of themselves. I'd take Pasta over Marner any day

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Could not agree more. IMO Babcock is just like Scotty Bowman or Phil Jackson - seems to do extremely well when coaching an All-Star laden team but doesn't do very much with an average team.

yea it's like that with any coach. Coaching is overrated for any team and any person. If you have good players you'll succeed. Then you get worse when they age or get worse.

It's usually suck while you rebuild then improve....then go down, or you plateau.

Then you get fired and hired elsewhere. Then get fired again....and re-hired again. Coaching is overrated. These are pros. Your team is either good or they are bad.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
yea it's like that with any coach. Coaching is overrated for any team and any person. If you have good players you'll succeed. Then you get worse when they age or get worse.

It's usually suck while you rebuild then improve....then go down, or you plateau.

Then you get fired and hired elsewhere. Then get fired again....and re-hired again. Coaching is overrated. These are pros. Your team is either good or they are bad.

Bill Belichick says hello...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: