NHL Around the NHL IX - Islanders En Fuego

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

https://nypost.com/2019/10/26/disgusting-hockey-knockout-shows-why-fighting-needs-to-go-asap/

The scene, as I suggested upon retweeting @carbombboom13’s entry, was revolting. All of it, including the fans leaping to their feet and cheering wildly when the 19-year-old Pospisil crumpled to the ice. We are moving into the 2020s, armed with irrefutable medical evidence regarding the long-term damage of taking repeated blows to the head no matter what any league’s attorneys posit, and here is hockey across North America not so far removed from the days of Spartacus.

I’m Colby Cave! I’m Colby Cave! I am. I am. I’m Colby Cave!

Once, I’d have been among those fans. In fact, I was, from the side balcony, when Vic Hadfield and Henri Richard staged their series of bouts in the penalty box at the old Garden. I was, from the blue seats, during the myriad bench-clearing brawls of the ’70s, including the ones in the playoffs when Eddie Giacomin did (or did not) tell Derek Sanderson there was a bounty on his head and the one in 1971 when Hadfield wound up throwing Bernie Parent’s mask into the stands.

But that was a different time. Players were smaller, the impact of their punches likely less damaging. We didn’t know about the devastating effect of concussions. It was a time when hockey was equal parts skill and intimidation, and a time of visceral hatred between NHL rivals. A time of wood sticks, of players going without helmets and goaltenders without masks; a time of 2:30 shifts, limited backchecking and of lumbering stay-at-home defensemen; a time when pro hockey in North America was played exclusively by North Americans.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

https://nypost.com/2019/10/26/disgusting-hockey-knockout-shows-why-fighting-needs-to-go-asap/

The scene, as I suggested upon retweeting @carbombboom13’s entry, was revolting. All of it, including the fans leaping to their feet and cheering wildly when the 19-year-old Pospisil crumpled to the ice. We are moving into the 2020s, armed with irrefutable medical evidence regarding the long-term damage of taking repeated blows to the head no matter what any league’s attorneys posit, and here is hockey across North America not so far removed from the days of Spartacus.

Once, I’d have been among those fans. In fact, I was, from the side balcony, when Vic Hadfield and Henri Richard staged their series of bouts in the penalty box at the old Garden. I was, from the blue seats, during the myriad bench-clearing brawls of the ’70s, including the ones in the playoffs when Eddie Giacomin did (or did not) tell Derek Sanderson there was a bounty on his head and the one in 1971 when Hadfield wound up throwing Bernie Parent’s mask into the stands.

But that was a different time. Players were smaller, the impact of their punches likely less damaging. We didn’t know about the devastating effect of concussions. It was a time when hockey was equal parts skill and intimidation, and a time of visceral hatred between NHL rivals. A time of wood sticks, of players going without helmets and goaltenders without masks; a time of 2:30 shifts, limited backchecking and of lumbering stay-at-home defensemen; a time when pro hockey in North America was played exclusively by North Americans.

2 consenting adults decided to drop the gloves. It sucks the other guy got knocked out but when you willingly drop the gloves you assume the risk.

Did they fight as a result of a clean hit on a play prior? If so, that is the real thing that needs to stop.

The manufactured outrage is exactly what is wrong in all types of media these days.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

"What kind of civilized society allows this?"

I guess Brooksie has never been to a boxing or MMA match? Those are sports that are nothing but "revolting" punches to the head. But yeah, clutch those pearls, Brooksie.

Reactions: Chief Nine and BMC

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Jack Todd: Habs ruin HNIC script by having audacity to trounce Toronto

Analyst Kelly Hrudey made it clear before the game began the Canadiens were in way over their heads against the Leafs. “To have any chance of winning,” Hrudey said, “the Canadiens have to get their penalty kill working.” That was a problem the Habs would solve in the simplest way possible, by taking only one penalty and killing it successfully.

The best part of the entire Hockey Night in Canada broadcast was Dick Irvin’s set-up, a reminder of a time when HNIC was synonymous with class, Irvin’s smooth, flawless delivery and even-handed approach a marked contrast with everything that was to follow.

As for those vaunted Toronto Maple Leafs — it’s just possible they’re not as good as the suits at HNIC believe they are. One more reason it might be wise to acknowledge that in every game, there are two teams on the ice.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
2 consenting adults decided to drop the gloves. It sucks the other guy got knocked out but when you willingly drop the gloves you assume the risk.

Did they fight as a result of a clean hit on a play prior? If so, that is the real thing that needs to stop.

The manufactured outrage is exactly what is wrong in all types of media these days.
I get it, I do. But the optics of this are not good. Can’t read much these days without seeing devastating impact of CTE.

If players get brain addled from playing the sport - collisions on ice, hard hits on football or rugby field, heading soccers balls, getting punched in ring, etc., there is only so much Leagues can do. Can’t mitigate risk of head injury in contact sports completely. Goes with territory.

Problem is that NHL (and other Leagues) can almost completely eliminate danger of bad concussions from fighting. It’s within their power, hence the bad optics. “Gary, with all the evidence of devastating impact of head injuries, why does the NHL not outlaw fighting with heavy penalties?”. To be truthful, there is no good answer to that question.

I’m not soft, either. Old time fan who loved (and I confess still love) a good scrap. However I’d be lying if I said seeing a guy get knocked cold with a haymaker doesn’t give me pause.

I think days of fighting are coming to an end soon. Part of me will miss it, but I understand. Exposure to players and the League is building to a crescendo.

I’ve been knocked cold a few times in my life on football field and on ice (not a fight). Had several non knockout concussions as well. And that was all minor level HS and College sport. Nothing I can do about it now, but as I get older and sometimes can’t remember who it was I was talking to about xy or z the other day, I confess I sometimes wonder if it’s just natural aging or maybe, just maybe, exacerbated by getting my “bell rung” many times as a young man.

I dislike Brooks immensely and also the hyperbole of today’s media, but if I’m honest he kind of has a point on this one.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016

Gusev already getting Healthy Scratched in New Jersey.

There were some vocal people here about getting him.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

SO well put Alison!

Reactions: BigGoalBrad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->