NHL Around the NHL IX - Islanders En Fuego

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Hockey normally only makes the news here in Australia once a year, whenever a new Stanley Cup champion is crowned. So this article, published on our largest online news site, caught my eye:

Disgusting fights have to stop ASAP

It's just a re-print of an opinion piece originally published in the NY Post, which some of you may have seen, about the recent fight in the AHL between ex-Bruin Colby Cave and an opposition player, calling for an end to all fights in the game.

But the fact it was deemed worthy of publication half-way around the world is suggestive of how out-of-step with the times ritualised hockey fights now are, and is the kind of bad press I'm guessing the NHL is keen to avoid. For better or worse I think the days of the fight are numbered, and I think the league is enforcing this more and more, even though they haven't yet made it official or public, by having the refs jump in to break skirmishes up any time anything even looks like getting serious.

Last edited:
Reactions: Strafer

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
yea it's like that with any coach. Coaching is overrated for any team and any person. If you have good players you'll succeed. Then you get worse when they age or get worse.

It's usually suck while you rebuild then improve....then go down, or you plateau.

Then you get fired and hired elsewhere. Then get fired again....and re-hired again. Coaching is overrated. These are pros. Your team is either good or they are bad.
There is only so much a coach can do if the guys paid the big bucks at the top lack the drive train required.
Sure you can change the coach and for a while the players might be happy playing a run/gun/minimal hard work game that suits their taste.
Then reality hits again and the lack of drive train comes back out. Skill without will a lot of the time.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Hockey normally only makes the news here in Australia once a year, whenever a new Stanley Cup champion is crowned. So this article, published on our largest online news site, caught my eye:

Disgusting fights have to stop ASAP

It's just a re-print of an opinion piece originally published in the NY Post, which some of you may have seen, about the recent fight in the AHL between ex-Bruin Colby Cave and an opposition player, calling for an end to all fights in the game.

But the fact it was deemed worthy of publication half-way around the world is suggestive of how out-of-step with the times ritualised hockey fights now are, and is the kind of bad press I'm guessing the NHL is keen to avoid. For better or worse I think the days of the fight are numbered, and I think the league is enforcing this more and more, even though they haven't yet made it official or public, by having the refs jump in to break skirmishes up any time anything even looks like getting serious.

Nonesense.
Modern media is outage profiteering based, especially the NY Post. They will post anything that gets a reader reaction because it draws in advertising revenue. IMO, we have essentially reached in print what TV has been for years: The Jerry Springer Show

As for the refs: yes, its obvious they have been told to break fights up if they can. WAY too much jumping in nowadays. But considering CTE and the press along with it for the NHL I think they have to. When former players of a sport are committing suicide over injuries they sustained playing you have to do something. Add to that the possible financial implications on lawsuits and its a serious matter for the league. That is a motivation far more than public opinion. In the modern internet age, any minority view(in number, not race) can seem like a majority one. Far too much craziness is given a legitimate voice for profit's sake where it used to be ignored. There is no way any culture cannot be negatively affected by that.

But thats my opinion piece.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
WOW
that could be their season right there.
You can't replace his shot, but they do have a couple wingers that have the ability to take huge leaps in their game with more ice time in Thomas and Fabbri, even if both of them are off to bad starts.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Nonesense.
Modern media is outage profiteering based, especially the NY Post. They will post anything that gets a reader reaction because it draws in advertising revenue. IMO, we have essentially reached in print what TV has been for years: The Jerry Springer Show

As for the refs: yes, its obvious they have been told to break fights up if they can. WAY too much jumping in nowadays. But considering CTE and the press along with it for the NHL I think they have to. When former players of a sport are committing suicide over injuries they sustained playing you have to do something. Add to that the possible financial implications on lawsuits and its a serious matter for the league. That is a motivation far more than public opinion. In the modern internet age, any minority view(in number, not race) can seem like a majority one. Far too much craziness is given a legitimate voice for profit's sake where it used to be ignored. There is no way any culture cannot be negatively affected by that.

But thats my opinion piece.

Yes and no. Yes the publisher here is certainly looking for click-bait and articles than will elicit a response, but no the opinion of the author in this case is definitely not a minority one here. I can comfortably say that at least 90% of Australians would view the idea that 2 grown men can legally, in our vernacular, 'punch on', during a sporting contest as at best ridiculous and at worst abhorrent. Any form of fighting more than a scuffle has been completely banned in all our major sports since the 80s. It does survive in rare bouts in our national hockey comp, but it's so small and niche that the mainstream doesn't notice.

That's just where we're at culturally - not saying it's better or worse than anywhere else, it's just how it is. But I wouldn't presume to know how the average American or Canadian views this topic - perhaps opinion is more divided there?

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Yes and no. Yes the publisher here is certainly looking for click-bait and articles than will elicit a response, but no the opinion of the author in this case is definitely not a minority one here. I can comfortably say that at least 90% of Australians would view the idea that 2 grown men can legally, in our vernacular, 'punch on', during a sporting contest as at best ridiculous and at worst abhorrent. Any form of fighting more than a scuffle has been completely banned in all our major sports since the 80s. It does survive in rare bouts in our national hockey comp, but it's so small and niche that the mainstream doesn't notice.

That's just where we're at culturally - not saying it's better or worse than anywhere else, it's just how it is. But I wouldn't presume to know how the average American or Canadian views this topic - perhaps opinion is more divided there?

Good insight and perspective here for me.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
To this day Dennis Seidenberg was a top 5 most physical defenseman I have ever seen live. I've seen him 5 or 6 times and always sat in his end at MSG or NJ and it's stuff you don't see on the TV, stuff away from the play....players bounced off him like they were hitting a freight train. He was underrated tough.
Bergeron bounced off him once and it didn't end well, but that was more bergy's fault, I think

Reactions: LouJersey

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Another 2011 Bruin in a player development role

Good for Seids

Since Chara is the best defensive defenseman I’ve seen going back to 1967 it reasons that the Chara -Seidenberg pairing in 2011 playoffs is the best defensive duo I’ve ever seen and for toughness the best defensive pairing I’ve ever seen.

consider what they did to the 117 point Canucks. From games 3-7 (actually second period of game 3 after the Rome hit on Horton) the Bruins outscored the Canucks 21-4 in a transcendent beatdown physically and mentally.

seidenberg was front and center

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Seids was one of those guys who was quietly solid and never got the praise he deserved.

His ACL tear around New Year's of 2013/14 was the beginning of the end for that core. If they have him for the playoffs, we beat the Habs and I like our chances against NY and LA.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Seids was one of those guys who was quietly solid and never got the praise he deserved.

His ACL tear around New Year's of 2013/14 was the beginning of the end for that core. If they have him for the playoffs, we beat the Habs and I like our chances against NY and LA.

You also win that Flyers series in 2010 if be doesn't get that freak injury during the season.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Since Chara is the best defensive defenseman I’ve seen going back to 1967 it reasons that the Chara -Seidenberg pairing in 2011 playoffs is the best defensive duo I’ve ever seen and for toughness the best defensive pairing I’ve ever seen.

consider what they did to the 117 point Canucks. From games 3-7 (actually second period of game 3 after the Rome hit on Horton) the Bruins outscored the Canucks 21-4 in a transcendent beatdown physically and mentally.

seidenberg was front and center

You've seen more Bruins D zone hockey more than prob all of us combined where you sit and this a compliment I'm not sure many can understand the magnitude of. That's some damn good praise. I remember with the old boards before the clean out that you led the brigade to sign him that summer instead of dealing for Derek Morris.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Good game on NHLN.

Happy to see John Gilmour from PC get his first NHL action lot of guys from the team that beat BU in the Garden have played in the NHL. Hope AZ wins in regulation.

This game is moving quickly. Tomorrow night I really wanna get back on the 930 train home and not wait until 1020 I’m not drinking in prep for a marathon. Hope ours moves at the same pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad