Around the NHL - It's HERE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I'm kind of nervous for the deal they(Buffalo)are willing to give to Oduya.

With that said, I am seeing Oduya signing in Dallas. They have a good team down there and he would help improve their defense.

YAY, I was right :laugh:

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013

Today feels like a good day for the Buffalo Sabres. We may have been spurned by Oduya but that LHD spot will sort itself out over the next couple of seasons. Even if Kesler is the better player right now (not saying he is or isn't) Ducks fans will end up being far more upset paying him 6.8 mil into the 2020s than we will paying O'Reilly.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
The Kesler deal shows what the market really is, despite the ignorant claims of the masses. Murray paid an extra 700k for a similar player, almost a decade younger, without a history of injuries.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
The Kesler deal shows what the market really is, despite the ignorant claims of the masses. Murray paid an extra 700k for a similar player, almost a decade younger, without a history of injuries.

He has that stigma attached to him and I bought into it as well however after seeing the contract I went to hockeydb and was surprised at how few games he has missed. Granted he may be playing through nagging injuries and be less than 100% however he has only had two seasons with notable stretches of missed games. In his ten seasons he has played 82, 82, 82, 82, 81, 80, 77, 77, 48 and 17/48 during the lockout season. That works out to 90.1% games played. Still too old for that much length and AAV but maybe not the glass player he is made out to be.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
After...

The charges are a complete non factor for me. He embarrassed himself and the organization. And it won't matter once we are a month or two into the 1st of 8 seasons

Jame not often but I somewhat agree with you.

I would have to say as long as he does not get a lengthy suspension and as crazy as this sounds it might make him become a better player in the end. Come playoff time this will be forgotten.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Jame not often but I somewhat agree with you.

I would have to say as long as he does not get a lengthy suspension and as crazy as this sounds it might make him become a better player in the end. Come playoff time this will be forgotten.

Just looking at it pragmatically without getting into the moral arguments from the other thread, even if he gets a lengthy suspension it doesn't really impact the value of the deal. Yeah, it'd suck to lose that protection for Reinhart and Eichel for 10 games or what have you, but ultimately it doesn't really matter. So long as this is an isolated incident and not an indication of a serious drinking problem, it shouldn't really impact the value of the trade or contract.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
He has that stigma attached to him and I bought into it as well however after seeing the contract I went to hockeydb and was surprised at how few games he has missed. Granted he may be playing through nagging injuries and be less than 100% however he has only had two seasons with notable stretches of missed games. In his ten seasons he has played 82, 82, 82, 82, 81, 80, 77, 77, 48 and 17/48 during the lockout season. That works out to 90.1% games played. Still too old for that much length and AAV but maybe not the glass player he is made out to be.

Ya I'm less concerned that he was healthy early in his career and more worried about the dings he took a couple years ago. Attach that to his style of play and there is little likelihood he stays healthy thru that deal let alone effective.

On the flip side, Anaheim has a window right now to win in the next few years. They dont have any young centers or forwards who look to be ready for the rolesof perry and getz, so from tgeir point of view i can see why they took a chance on Kesler for the short term. I think the problem with contract is more abstract than specific to Anaheims current situation.

Hilarious main thread tho, regarding kesler being far superior to ROR.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Don't think qc will get a team. Expansion isn't about getting money out of a hockey crazy market. It's about opening new markets to new fans. Relo AZ to Seattle or kc. Open expansion next year too

Deevo

Jul 25, 2006
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Don't think qc will get a team. Expansion isn't about getting money out of a hockey crazy market. It's about opening new markets to new fans. Relo AZ to Seattle or kc. Open expansion next year too

If Seattle passes on this round of expansion I totally expect QC to be the 2nd team to Vegas. Guaranteed revenue and a brand new state-of-the-art rink. Why would the NHL pass on that?

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
If Seattle passes on this round of expansion I totally expect QC to be the 2nd team to Vegas. Guaranteed revenue and a brand new state-of-the-art rink. Why would the NHL pass on that?

The people who like hockey up there will watch hockey regardless of whether there is a team in QC or not. Will they spend more? Sure. And sure, its probably a profitable team. However, expansion into Seattle or KC makes NEW fans, which should be the goal of expansion. You could also make the argument that Ottawa, a LARGER Canadian city, struggles to break even. You also have to move a team west if you add a team in QC. You think Detroit or Columbus is lining up for that? No way.

There are plenty of other factors that you have to decide "Will a team make $". You gotta think Seattle and other western markets didn't submit bids because they are just waiting out the Coyotes situation. Why pay 500M for expansion when you get a fully stocked NHL franchise for less?

Deevo

Jul 25, 2006
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The people who like hockey up there will watch hockey regardless of whether there is a team in QC or not. Will they spend more? Sure. And sure, its probably a profitable team. However, expansion into Seattle or KC makes NEW fans, which should be the goal of expansion. You could also make the argument that Ottawa, a LARGER Canadian city, struggles to break even. You also have to move a team west if you add a team in QC. You think Detroit or Columbus is lining up for that? No way.

There are plenty of other factors that you have to decide "Will a team make $". You gotta think Seattle and other western markets didn't submit bids because they are just waiting out the Coyotes situation. Why pay 500M for expansion when you get a fully stocked NHL franchise for less?

You've got valid points and I agree with you, but I just can't see the new Videotron Centre not getting an NHL team in the next wave (be it expansion or relocation). It's beautiful and brings essentially guaranteed revenue to the league. If Seattle had the infrastructure immediately available it may be a different story.

I don't see Quebec suffering from the same issues as the Sens, mainly because their arena is in the downtown core. Quebecers are also a much different breed than their brothers and sisters in Ontario lolol

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I think both KC and Seattle would be great markets. I've never understood why KC seems to get pushed to a secondary option. They have an NHL-ready arena, it's a city on the come with downtown development, economic growth and young people moving there in high numbers, and they do a good job supporting their other professional teams. The same can be said of Seattle, save for having an arena, but they're always considered a primary option.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I think both KC and Seattle would be great markets. I've never understood why KC seems to get pushed to a secondary option. They have an NHL-ready arena, it's a city on the come with downtown development, economic growth and young people moving there in high numbers, and they do a good job supporting their other professional teams. The same can be said of Seattle, save for having an arena, but they're always considered a primary option.

KC is a great city. Power and Light district is amazing and right next to the arena. Westport is fun, and the area between 47th street and Ward parkway is expensive but nice. Hockey in KC would be a great add.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix

Seattle let the Sonics walk because they didn't want to offer public funding for a new arena, I don't expect them to publicly fun a new arena for hockey. Now if you had Gates or Ballmer buy a franchise and build the arena from their own money then it would probably get done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad