OT: Around the NHL - Good hocket is good

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Skin
Padding
Hard plastic shield
Sweater
Puck hitting you

That's the layering he's talking about.

A LOT of goalie pads end at the padding stage.

I don't think NHL would care if you customized/altered underlying equipment (I think technically all the paintwork on helmets voids warranties and safety certifications thereof, yet, aftermarket custom work is tolerated).

Just like NHL allowed old ass useless Jofa lids forever. Or OG players to use pathetic, thin shoulder pads.

Edit: boo. Alterations and modifications must be applied for...
20181011_090449.png

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Skin
Padding
Hard plastic shield
Sweater
Puck hitting you

That's the layering he's talking about.

A LOT of goalie pads end at the padding stage.

I don't think NHL would care if you customized/altered underlying equipment (I think technically all the paintwork on helmets voids warranties and safety certifications thereof, yet, aftermarket custom work is tolerated).

Just like NHL allowed old ass useless Jofa lids forever. Or OG players to use pathetic, thin shoulder pads.

Edit: boo. Alterations and modifications must be applied for...
View attachment 145821

Yup that's what I figured. The league is going to regulate nearly everything a player wears.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I don't fully follow what you are saying, but are NHL goalies legally allowed to do that? I figure they have relatively strict guidelines on what they are and aren't allowed to wear.

You can pretty much wear anything UNDERNEATH your gear and it is not against the guidelines. If it's not adding surface area, you're generally good.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
You can pretty much wear anything UNDERNEATH your gear and it is not against the guidelines. If it's not adding surface area, you're generally good.

Gotcha. I honestly don't know, but figured the league had guidelines about underneath equipment as well. If that's not the case, then wear away. I will just add that players are creatures of habit and adjusting to new undergarments due to equipment changes probably takes some time. Personally I always hated new equipment and wore the same, too small, shoulder pads from late peewee's through early college before finally adjusting.

Reactions: EightyOne

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Gotcha. I honestly don't know, but figured the league had guidelines about underneath equipment as well. If that's not the case, then wear away. I will just add that players are creatures of habit and adjusting to new undergarments due to equipment changes probably takes some time. Personally I always hated new equipment and wore the same, too small, shoulder pads from late peewee's through early college before finally adjusting.

Haha mine were a crappy Koho shoulder pad that got um almost 10 years of use from 14-24 lol lol and some REEEAAAAL vintage 90s Cooper pants with rusted out grommets lol. Nice memories.

Last edited:

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
I don't fully follow what you are saying, but are NHL goalies legally allowed to do that? I figure they have relatively strict guidelines on what they are and aren't allowed to wear.

essentially what was already touched upon. you can fashion something like what I describe and wear it under the regular protection, it doesn't increase your square footage you present so I can't imagine it would not be allowed.

if i get the gumption up i'll go find one of my creations and put a pic up, it's nothing glamous looking, just a piece of form fitted plastic. but it serves to disperse the impact over a greater area.

it would be better if it was the outermost layer, but there are 2 issues there, first is the rules might get a bit weird about it. second is that if you have 2 hard a surface you'll not be able to absorb shots, get some crazy rebounds

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This is just my own selfish opinion that I understand is 100% not being fair to everyone involved, but I don't feel the slightest bit of sympathy for the goalies. They've basically had all the rules go their way for the past couple of decades (Michelin Man goalie equipment, don't even dare come near the crease, nets the same size as when 5'8 goalies with barely any padding played, etc.). Now it's a bit more difficult for them. Oh well.

Reactions: Peat

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
2012-2015 was mostly trash hockey apart from a few teams. After that, the switch to fast hockey and smaller goalie equipment is necessary. Refs still suck though.

Reactions: Ignatius

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Oh f***ing hell, the Crabs are honouring their last cup winning team from a hundred years ago then introducing the latest line up of bollocks. The game might start in an hour. f***ing hate home opening night.

JUST PLAY HOCKEY!!!

Reactions: EightyOne

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The Oilers are a beautiful tragedy. I just hope they don’t do too bad too soon and make real changes.

Reactions: Zirakzigil

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
6-0 Devils beating the Caps.

And DAT BRAWL between Winnipeg and Nashville. Holy crap.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If they got a solid top four R option they are set. Moves Hainsey down the line-up. Zaitsev is back to being the Leaf’s Maatta. Gardnier is far better than he gets credit for and they have a ton of kids that could be really f’ing good.

Did someone shoot Zaitsev in the knees enough to make him slow enough to be their Maatta?

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
That Jack Campbell for LAK is backstopping in an elite way, right now. Angles, reactions, glove hand.

Who knows if he is for real, he has had a crazy long and bumpy road to the NHL. Either way, if he can keep it up, the Kings will be in good position once Quick can return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad