OT: Around the NHL - Good hocket is good

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlightlessBird

Nov 5, 2005
Pittsburgh
Found a division banner from 2008.

Teams do this stuff. ESPECIALLY if they haven't had major success in the past. Once you get Stanley Cups, these things are less important to the franchise and fandom.
Raising a division banner like that is pretty cheesy. I don’t mind the PT banner raising, especially since it’s their first one.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
thats true, but there is something weird with that lline PDO, they just can't score...Jake could have had 5 goals in two games... Mathews whatever he throw goes in....I mean at some point they need to start lifting those pucks around net,

The bolded is what I see, and it's kind of weird. Both Sid and Jake got robbed by Holtby for this very reason. The Pens seem to love going along the ice, whereas a lot of these guys off to fast starts, their goals are aimed top corner.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
thats true, but there is something weird with that lline PDO, they just can't score...Jake could have had 5 goals in two games... Mathews whatever he throw goes in....I mean at some point they need to start lifting those pucks around net,

Jake is still shooting at 40% though. He’s only had 5 shots.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Vegas just looks so off right now.

Some of that has got to be WSH...they are playing some very good gap control, pressure defense...players taking away Vegas time and space...if they continue to play this way, as they did in the POs, they have a great chance to repeat...

difference between WSH and Pens D right now is like some bad joke...

Reactions: ColePens

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Even Doc has mentioned it... Vegas is losing some of the basic fundamentals in this hockey game. And I cannot believe i'm saying this to an NHL game, but they cannot keep their sticks on the ice or stop/start to save their life. Plenty of chances could have happened if they just keep their sticks on the ice or follow the damn play.

Edit: Dat Caps powerplay. Wooooo baby is that something. 50% and not slowing down. Sooooo many weapons working together.

Last edited:

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
hm nothing changed, still hate Capitals, Oshie, still infuriated watching them playing the way I wish Pens would play, they are playing if this was a stanley cup game, Kuzy is os good its unreal, and how they atack blue line always in threes fast, also Vrana is a very good palyer for them

Reactions: EightyOne

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Holtby with some big saves, and then Carpenter with one of the worst shifts of his life.

One of his worst games. Boy he suuuuuuuuuucked.

Hypothetical Vegas/Pens idea... Sully + Maatta for Pacs + Gallant FOR ONE YEAR ONLY. It gets the Pens to listen to a new coach who has a really good defensive responsibility mindset. They get a LW. Trade is reversed June 25th 2019 no matter what. Sully revamps the team. They go back to back again. :laugh:

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
He should be happy he's making saves again.

There has to be something better. But what they had isn't it, either.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
I play net and guess what? You get bruised almost every game. There are padded undershirts that are available to help mitigate some damage but it's just the nature of physics/anatomy.

while yea you do get bruised, and I'm like meh about it. There really is no reason you can't have a piece of equipment that meets both the more form fitting rules and protection goalies want. Some chest protectors just suck on the bicep protection they are not all equal. I'd recommend he shops around a bit :D or maybe just use all those 1000's he's getting paid every game to wipe his tears away. He's getting 60K a start roughly, 60k would ease my pain and suffering quite a bit.

Reactions: Shady Machine

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
while yea you do get bruised, and I'm like meh about it. There really is no reason you can't have a piece of equipment that meets both the more form fitting rules and protection goalies want. Some chest protectors just suck on the bicep protection they are not all equal. I'd recommend he shops around a bit :D or maybe just use all those 1000's he's getting paid every game to wipe his tears away. He's getting 60K a start roughly, 60k would ease my pain and suffering quite a bit.

I think this year there will be a ton of discussion between the NHL goalies and the manufacturers. Believe the producers of equipment will begin to make the padding "thicker" (not wider) to address his concerns.

Reactions: EightyOne

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
I think this year there will be a ton of discussion between the NHL goalies and the manufacturers. Believe the producers of equipment will begin to make the padding "thicker" (not wider) to address his concerns.

the thing is it's easy to accommodate this. you can take a piece of abs plastic, warm it up and form fit it to your (fillin in body part here), then you either contact cement (or you can get away with carpet tape) for the padding that you put on the plastic.

I've done this more then a few times over the years and basically I can take a howitzer off the protected area and not feel a thing. I typically don't do this because I have enough natural armour (aka fat) to keep myself from getting to hurt typically. (bruises do not count as injuries). I usually have done that to protect something that was injured that I stupidly decided to keep on playing anyway. But for the bicep area it would not be hard to fashion this, I guess I'm just kinda in bewonderment that I can come up with a solution for this in my garage but an organization with that much in resources can not. Heck you can get that Newtonian foam that instantly gets hard when struck, put that in the bicep area. That is really easy to make exactly the size/form you want. These shirts: Max Cov Shirt - Zoombang use that foam and are made to help protect against a wooden sword (which hits harder then a puck). I wouldn't rely on one of those as the only protection, but I'm saying the foam in those when put on top of arm of a chest protector would nullify any impact.

maybe I should sell Elliot some custom protection :D

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
The Knights weren't that crisp against the Capitals last night. You can tell the Knights miss Schmidt back there. They spent more time breaking out of the DZ and weren't nearly as dangerous through the NZ. Plus, getting into the OZ was taxing for the forwards.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
the thing is it's easy to accommodate this. you can take a piece of abs plastic, warm it up and form fit it to your (fillin in body part here), then you either contact cement (or you can get away with carpet tape) for the padding that you put on the plastic.

I've done this more then a few times over the years and basically I can take a howitzer off the protected area and not feel a thing. I typically don't do this because I have enough natural armour (aka fat) to keep myself from getting to hurt typically. (bruises do not count as injuries). I usually have done that to protect something that was injured that I stupidly decided to keep on playing anyway. But for the bicep area it would not be hard to fashion this, I guess I'm just kinda in bewonderment that I can come up with a solution for this in my garage but an organization with that much in resources can not. Heck you can get that Newtonian foam that instantly gets hard when struck, put that in the bicep area. That is really easy to make exactly the size/form you want. These shirts: Max Cov Shirt - Zoombang use that foam and are made to help protect against a wooden sword (which hits harder then a puck). I wouldn't rely on one of those as the only protection, but I'm saying the foam in those when put on top of arm of a chest protector would nullify any impact.

maybe I should sell Elliot some custom protection :D

I don't fully follow what you are saying, but are NHL goalies legally allowed to do that? I figure they have relatively strict guidelines on what they are and aren't allowed to wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad