OT: Around the NHL - Good hocket is good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Edmonton is just rotten. No wonder the HF hivemind loves trying to discredit Stanley Cups when it comes to Crosby, because it looks like McDavid isn't going to win one for a LONG time, if ever.

I actually feel bad for Connor because he's an incredible talent but man is his team bad.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
It’s almost like they traded two top six wingers and a 1st and a 2nd for a # 4 defenseman and bottom six forward..

It's interesting to me because it's a good answer to those all those "what if we trade Malkin" theories that cropped up here and there throughout the Crosby era.

Thank god Shero/JR never considered it. It's also why I loathe the thought of trading Kessel or Letang because quality for quantity trades rarely work out. The only team I feel like who did well with that recently is Philly. The Carter/Richards trades ended up working out quite well for Philly. But that's because Simmonds/Voracek turned into borderline stars which was a bit lucky on Philly's part.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It's interesting to me because it's a good answer to those all those "what if we trade Malkin" theories that cropped up here and there throughout the Crosby era.

Thank god Shero/JR never considered it. It's also why I loathe the thought of trading Kessel or Letang because quality for quantity trades rarely work out. The only team I feel like who did well with that recently is Philly. The Carter/Richards trades ended up working out quite well for Philly. But that's because Simmonds/Voracek turned into borderline stars which was a bit lucky on Philly's part.

If Shero trades Malkin he probably would’ve gotten a disgusting return for him though given his trade history.

That being said there is a big difference between trading mid 20 year old Hall and prime Eberle for trash and moving out an older Letang and Kessel to start rebuilding for a final push in Malkin and Crosby’s back half.

Like I’ve said many times, it would not surprise me if Malkin doesn’t come back to the NHL after the next lock out.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Mcdavid is still gonna run away with the scoring title this year I suspect. What a player.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
If Shero trades Malkin he probably would’ve gotten a disgusting return for him though given his trade history.

That being said there is a big difference between trading mid 20 year old Hall and prime Eberle for trash and moving out an older Letang and Kessel to start rebuilding for a final push in Malkin and Crosby’s back half.

Like I’ve said many times, it would not surprise me if Malkin doesn’t come back to the NHL after the next lock out.

That's fair and who knows what the return would have been. I just don't usually like the thought of trading the best player in a deal. Don't feel like it works out too often.

The hope would be if we do one of those deals that we get a Carter/Richards type return. I suspect that Kessel will eventually be moved. I think Letang rides it out here and if he does get moved it only happens when Sid/Geno are old enough that we no longer look like a contender.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
That's fair and who knows what the return would have been. I just don't usually like the thought of trading the best player in a deal. Don't feel like it works out too often.

The hope would be if we do one of those deals that we get a Carter/Richards type return. I suspect that Kessel will eventually be moved. I think Letang rides it out here and if he does get moved it only happens when Sid/Geno are old enough that we no longer look like a contender.

No way are we getting a Carter / Richards return.

For Letang, I’d hope for a 1st and some type of LW. For Kessel a pick, roster player and prospect. But, nowhere near Simmons, Schenn, and a pick.

Last edited:

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
No way are we getting a Carter / Richards return.

A young promising player plus a first? I don't think that would be out of the question if we moved either one today.

Voracek/Simmonds weren't elite yet when they were acquired. The equivalent today would be if we traded Kessel for like Drouin plus a first and then Drouin blossomed into a star here.

Granted if we don't move Kessel or Letang for a few more years they'll then be old enough that I wouldn't expect that kind of return. But if we moved either one today, I'd expect a first + established good young player.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

While I'm certainly not advocating that we should have traded Malkin, I also don't think you should judge what we could have gotten for him based on Chiarelli's trades. That guy is just all kinds of special when it comes to giving up quality and ending up with trash.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
While I'm certainly not advocating that we should have traded Malkin, I also don't think you should judge what we could have gotten for him based on Chiarelli's trades. That guy is just all kinds of special when it comes to giving up quality and ending up with trash.

Pretty amazing to have traded both Seguin and Hall. You'd think he would have learned from Seguin, but nope.

Imagine the Oilers now with Hall on one line and Connor the other. Even with that d and goaltending they'd be scary.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
A young promising player plus a first? I don't think that would be out of the question if we moved either one today.

Voracek/Simmonds weren't elite yet when they were acquired. The equivalent today would be if we traded Kessel for like Drouin plus a first and then Drouin blossomed into a star here.

Granted if we don't move Kessel or Letang for a few more years they'll then be old enough that I wouldn't expect that kind of return. But if we moved either one today, I'd expect a first + established good young player.

In terms of returns, I think we talked Coyle + 1st for Kessel this summer or Domi, Demers, + 2nd.

For Letang, I don’t even know what his value would be. Has to be low though.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Pretty amazing to have traded both Seguin and Hall. You'd think he would have learned from Seguin, but nope.

Imagine the Oilers now with Hall on one line and Connor the other. Even with that d and goaltending they'd be scary.

He traded an elite winger and future NHL MVP in Hall for essentially Brian Dumoulin. It's crazy.

Don't get me wrong. I like Larsson, but not at the expense of one of the top wingers in hockey.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
He traded an elite winger and future NHL MVP in Hall for essentially Brian Dumoulin. It's crazy.

Don't get me wrong. I like Larsson, but not at the expense of one of the top wingers in hockey.

Dumo is better than Larsson imo.

In terms of returns, I think we talked Coyle + 1st for Kessel this summer or Domi, Demers, + 2nd.

For Letang, I don’t even know what his value would be. Has to be low though.

I know Letang has the injury history but when he's playing like he is right now I imagine his value would be high still.

Granted, if he keeps playing like he is right now, we would never want to trade him.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Dumo is better than Larsson imo.

I know Letang has the injury history but when he's playing like he is right now I imagine his value would be high still.

Granted, if he keeps playing like he is right now, we would never want to trade him.

Yeah, Dumo is way better than Larsson.

I hope Letang stays for his career. He’s honestly the best Penguins defenseman in history and bleeds black and gold. Him, Malkin and Crosby deserve to retire Pens.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

Philly has won one playoff series since they traded those two, I'm not sure how well it's working.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Yeah, Dumo is way better than Larsson.

I hope Letang stays for his career. He’s honestly the best Penguins defenseman in history and bleeds black and gold. Him, Malkin and Crosby deserve to retire Pens.

I've always liked Letang as well. He can be maddening at times but he has a lot of heart and he cares. I might question his decision making but I've never questioned his desire to perform.

I actually bought his jersey when I went to game 5 vs the Preds. He's always been a favorite of mine.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I've always liked Letang as well. He can be maddening at times but he has a lot of heart and he cares. I might question his decision making but I've never questioned his desire to perform.

I actually bought his jersey when I went to game 5 vs the Preds. He's always been a favorite of mine.

LOL. My girlfriend got a Dumo jersey that night to go with my 09 winter classic Letang I’ve had forever.

Actually never seen the Pens lose in that Jersey. Which of course means it is covered in beer stains and ketchup.

Reactions: Pancakes

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
LOL. My girlfriend got a Dumo jersey that night to go with my 09 winter classic Letang I’ve had forever.

Actually never seen the Pens lose in that Jersey. Which of course means it is covered in beer stains and ketchup.

I think we all have our jerseys we break out for big games. I've got a mid 90's Lemieux with the pigeon that I break out for must win games lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad