OT: Around the NHL - GAME 7s! LET'S GO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Typically teams that play long ot games or several ot games tend to get bounced their next series.... its too much of a high coupled with the cost it takes on you physically... it’s more or less adding a game with no recovery time in between...

That’s one of several reasons I’d put money on Colorado in that series...and I’m rooting for the Sharks...

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
I would be happy for the Sharks (I love Hertl) if it weren't for certain fans who have been whining incessantly about the refs since 2016 and are now all "Well, bad calls happen".. I wonder if they are going to whine for more than a decade like certain Red Wings fans about 2009. :)

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
In other news, the anti-Karlsson thread on the main board jinxed the Knights, let's hope that the "Ovechkin is the most clutch player" jinxes the Caps. :)

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Unfortunately every home team won their respective Game 7s...the one I want the most to lose is tonight...I give Carolina very little of a chance however... hopefully the hockey gods that blessed SJ last night have another gift coming tonight for Carolina

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Even if that shouldn’t have been a 5 minute penalty, or a penalty at all, what team lets in four goals in a 5 minute PP? I’m sorry but Vegas whining about the penalty is sickening...***** about yourselves and your goalie letting in four goals...I’m very happy for the result, even though I also turned off the game early in the third thinking it was over...

A lot of our fans say “call the game”.

A lot of our fans wanted suspensions for Wilson on Dumo and Ovechkin / Niskanen on Crosby. Those players were just as incidental as the Eakins cross check, but actually happened in the flow of the game.

The optics made the refs call the more severe penalty. Don’t complain about how this league does nothing to defend players and then get made when they over punish someone when they seemingly crosscheck someone out of the game.

Reactions: Andy99

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
The optics made the refs call the more severe penalty. Don’t complain about how this league does nothing to defend players and then get made when they over punish someone when they seemingly crosscheck someone out of the game.

Really? Not complain when a ref thinks a cross check to the middle of the chest is a cross check to the face? Is that the standard we except from the refs now?

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
You just have to be totally delusional at this point to not see who MAF is. How many times does this stuff have to happen to the guy in the playoffs before people finally get it?

He should have had those last two PP goals... but he just got into that MAF spaz mode and thats what happens.

I feel badly for him, but that doesn't change the fact he's the all time king of epic playoff meltdowns. I'm sure his loyal fans will make more excuses, but whatever.

This was the first time a team in the 80+ years of the NHL let up four goals on a major in the playoffs.

Think about that. And it was MAF in goal... because this is what he does. It doesn't even get to this game if he doesn't let in bad goal from Hertl in OT way up at the circle last game. But he's a goofy guy and does cartwheels and stuff so it's not his fault.

Did we just become best friends?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Really? Not complain when a ref thinks a cross check to the middle of the chest is a cross check to the face? Is that the standard we except from the refs now?

Once again. A player got crosschecked and injured due to the crosscheck.

If you want to have major review of the play that’s fine. Just like the Briere offsides, the Drouin goal call, and the early whistle against Nashville. Human errors happen.

Vegas doesn’t let up four goals in 3 minutes they win.

Reactions: TheStatican

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Once again. A player got crosschecked and injured due to the crosscheck.

Punish the infraction, not the result. It was a run of the mill cross check which the ref didn't even call initially. Same idiocy as Oshie's injury and the delayed call. This isn't protecting the players, it's begging for them to start faking injuries to get calls. If they wanted to protect them, they would try to call every cross check, not every twentieth.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA

Considering Vegas had 2 entire other games to close the series out they shouldn’t be complaining that this one call changed their fortunes. Why couldn’t they beat San Jose in games 5 or 6? What bad calls cost them those games? They were also still up by 3 goals when the call was made. Bad calls happen, championship teams overcome them

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Punish the infraction, not the result. It was a run of the mill cross check which the ref didn't even call initially. Same idiocy as Oshie's injury and the delayed call. This isn't protecting the players, it's begging for them to start faking injuries to get calls. If they wanted to protect them, they would try to call every cross check, not every twentieth.

They called what they thought they saw / were influenced by the injury.

Can’t be mad about it as it is everything I complain about it terms of reffing. If I’m going to criticize them for being light on a team like Boston, that 100% optically is a major.

Eakin injured a player in typical scrum BS. He keeps his stick down, Knights are on there way to a second round.

It’s like the slash Sid did on Methot. Should’ve been a fiver and a misconduct. We don’t need this shit in the game.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
They called what they thought they saw / were influenced by the injury.

And that makes it okay? If you are going to call a major, you better be sure.

And yes, Eakin was an idiot but when the refs call that one time in twenty unless there is an injury and fans and coaches expect the "if you aren't cheating you aren't trying" principle to be followed there will be such cross checks all the time. Start calling things by the book, rather than unwritten rules and players will stop that BS very quickly.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
And that makes it okay? If you are going to call a major, you better be sure.

And yes, Eakin was an idiot but when the refs call that one time in twenty unless there is an injury and fans and coaches expect the "if you aren't cheating you aren't trying" principle to be followed there will be such cross checks all the time. Start calling things by the book, rather than unwritten rules and players will stop that BS very quickly.

I mean, they called it by the book. They thought they saw a crosscheck to the head that knocked a player out of the game.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The officials said they missed it anyway. Said he thought the guy checked Pavelski in the face, that's why he was knocked out and bloodied.

The check to the guy's chest is (well, should be) an automatic two minutes though.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Calling it by the book once after not calling a dozen identical infractions only makes things worse.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Did we just become best friends?

I’m not trying to pile on MAF and my posting history will show I was more than kind to him most of the time, but this nonsense with his fans and many in the Pgh media acting like they lost a modern day Ken Dryden needs to stop.

I’ve never seen a goalie spaz out when it matters the most like him... all the way back to the WJCs to now.

Fleury's mistake sinks Canadian Junior team in finals

People always remember the WJC blunder on the winning goal, but Canada had a 3-1 lead going into the third...

No matter what the Pittsburgh Penguins decide to do with Marc-Andre Fleury for the rest of this season, they might find themselves dealing with a fragile psyche.

Little did that author know how true his words would still ring well over a decade later.

Reactions: Corvidae

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
When is the last time we saw a unforced crosscheck that resulted in a player being taken out of the game and not returning?

Again, they are supposed to call penalties based on the infraction not the result. The result can turn a major into a minor but not a nothing into a penalty. Yet the latter happens quite often.

If you let the vast majority of blatant cross checks go, of course the players are going to keep doing it and eventually someone is going to get hurt. It's not exactly a surprising outcome.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Again, they are supposed to call penalties based on the infraction not the result. The result can turn a major into a minor but not a nothing into a penalty. Yet the latter happens quite often.

If you let the vast majority of blatant cross checks go, of course the players are going to keep doing it and eventually someone is going to get hurt. It's not exactly a surprising outcome.

If this situation happens to Sid or Malkin is 90% of this board not arguing for a major?

I get that it is more complicated than say the Kadri suspension. But, in the heat of the game.. no issue with that call from my end given the optics.

And having a review of all five minute majors seems like a real slippery slope to me.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
Damn, watching some more series highlights. MAF needs to work on that weak glove.

I think it's hard for Fleury because he lost the mentorship of a calm, experienced professional like Matt Murray. Hopefully with more playing time and experience carrying a team he can learn from his mistakes.

Reactions: Corvidae

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Again, what does this have to do with the utter stupidity of not calling all other cross checks of the exact same or even bigger severity which do not result from an injury? If it weren't for the unfortunate bump into Stasny there wouldn't have been an injury, most likely. As along the chance of not causing an injury and hence not being called is far higher than the opposite, players are going to keep rolling the dice and I can't really blame them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad