OT: Around the NHL - GAME 7s! LET'S GO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Again, what does this have to do with the utter stupidity of not calling all other cross checks of the exact same or even bigger severity which do not result from an injury? If it weren't for the unfortunate bump into Stasny there wouldn't have been an injury, most likely. As along the chance of not causing an injury and hence not being called is far higher than the opposite, players are going to keep rolling the dice and I can't really blame them.

The NHL has established they punish to injury.

Eakins optically crosschecked someone who was then unconscious on the ice and bleeding from his head.

If you’re going to get into the NHL doesn’t make the calls 90% of the time, that is fine. But, they SHOULD be making the calls and when they do and slightly screw it up, hard for me to complain when I’m an adamant supporter of call the dirty shit in the game. And what Eakin did was dirty and resulted in the Sharks captain being injured.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
The NHL has established they punish to injury.

Well, yes, that's what I am arguing against. They are fine with repeated attempts to injure but if you injure someone on the exact same type of play largely by accident, watch out.

Four refs on the ice and not one of them noticing that Eakin stick went nowhere near Pavelski's head is not a good look for the NHL.

Where’s our boy Ragamuffin?

On the main boards. :)

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Well, yes, that's what I am arguing against. They are fine with repeated attempts to injure but if you injure someone on the exact same type of play largely by accident, watch out.

Four refs on the ice and not one of them noticing that Eakin stick went nowhere near Pavelski's head is not a good look for the NHL.

I guess? It’s not a good look for the Don Cherry crowd, but in any other sport if you push a guy outside of the actual sport’s play and he is bleeding from the back of his head because he got pushed you’re likely getting ejected.

Old Gregg

I'm Old Gregg!!
Apr 13, 2010
Once again. A player got crosschecked and injured due to the crosscheck.

If you want to have major review of the play that’s fine. Just like the Briere offsides, the Drouin goal call, and the early whistle against Nashville. Human errors happen.

Vegas doesn’t let up four goals in 3 minutes they win.
He got injured because he fell awkwardly after being run into by Stastny. The crosscheck didn't cause the injury

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
In any sport if you eject a guy for something he didn't actually do fans aren't going to like it. Assuming Gallant isn't lying about what the ref said, of course.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
In any sport if you eject a guy for something he didn't actually do fans aren't going to like it. Assuming Gallant isn't lying about what the ref said, of course.

He crosschecked someone and they were removed from the game because of it. Just because the cross check wasn’t to the head doesn’t absolve the fact Eakin went out of his way to throw some heat on a stick check to Pavs that knocked him out of the game.

If this was a clean body check and then he got tangled up with Statsny, I’d agree completely.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
He crosschecked someone and they were removed from the game because of it. Just because the cross check wasn’t to the head doesn’t absolve the fact Eakin went out of his way to throw some heat on a stick check to Pavs that knocked him out of the game.

For the tenth time, there is no rule that magically makes a non-call a penalty if there is an injury, Eakin "went out of his way" to do something the refs let go dozens of times in every playoff game.

Old Gregg

I'm Old Gregg!!
Apr 13, 2010
Yet according to most here Niskanen and Wilson deserved suspensions for doing the same type of thing.

Eakin’s crosscheck was the catalyst for the injury. If Eakin keeps his stick down there, no issues.
I didn't realize that both Niskanen and Wilson were given 5 min majors for a crosscheck to the chest of a player...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
For the tenth time, there is no rule that magically makes a non-call a penalty if there is an injury, Eakin "went out of his way" to do something the refs let go dozens of times in every playoff game.

But, it is in the rules. Rule 59 clearly states they can give a crosscheck based off the severity of it. The crosscheck resulted in Pavs getting knocked out of the game.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
But, it is in the rules. Rule 59 clearly states they can give a crosscheck based off the severity of it. The crosscheck resulted in Pavs getting knocked out of the game.

Bumping into another player doesn't make a cross check any more or less severe. The result shouldn't matter at all, IMO, only the severity of the infraction itself. If a player gets lucky and/or is built like a tank doesn't mean the infraction was any less severe.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Bumping into another player doesn't make a cross check any more or less severe. The result shouldn't matter at all, IMO, only the severity of the infraction itself. If a player gets lucky and/or is built like a tank doesn't mean the infraction was any less severe.

I mean, your opinion. But, it is in the rules and they thought they saw a crosscheck that knocked a player out of the game.

I just think if they start doing reviews of plays like that, majors will never get called.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I woke up from a solid 8 hours of sleep to learn that Fleury blew the game and it's someone else's problem now. Shoot this feeling directly into my veins, please.

Yes. I was in a rancid mood this AM, as I've been burning the candle at both ends lately with work and other things. I then checked the score as I was getting ready for work. Then found out exactly how they lost. And yeah, it changed my mood for the better!!

Reactions: Patric Hornqvist

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
The rules state "based on the severity of the contact", a player getting injured because of bad luck (bumping into a third player) doesn't make a cross check more severe in itself in my book. The cross check wasn't any more vicious than dozens that weren't called, was it?

Reactions: FlightlessBird

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
The rules state "based on the severity of the contact", a player getting injured because of bad luck (bumping into a third player) doesn't make a cross check more severe in itself in my book. The cross check wasn't any more vicious than dozens that weren't called, was it?

Upon review, but the refs are making the call in the moment and what they saw was a crosscheck was that knocked the player out of the game.

AND on top of it the severity of the crosscheck resulted in that injury.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
hey the site is crashing, I bet the Leafs game just ended :laugh:
One of your best jokes.

As for the leafs fans...
raw

Last edited:
Reactions: Ogrezilla

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
So... Kadri gets the Leafs outta PO & Eakins gets the Knights out too.

Damn! Good for chokers Leafs but bad for chokers Sharks in my book of hockey rooting opinions.

Meanwhile the ads below are getting dumb & dumber, behold the click baiting one titled "A Man Was Just Trying to Help, How Lioness Responded Will Amaze You." ...Notice i pasted their habit of using majuscules for each word as if they were life & death important...

Reactions: The Old Master

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Generally agree, but it's totally understandable that the refs called it that way. They saw a crosscheck but couldn't determine severity of it in real time. They just see a dude lying on the ice bleeding after a crosscheck. Honestly, how do you NOT call a major penalty? With the hindsight of replays, it's clear it shouldn't have been a 5 minute on the severity of the cross check itself. Problem is refs can't use replays to change their minds.

If anything, this shows that penalties in the playoffs should have a Toronto review option for calls like this. You could make it reviewable for major penalties only or something to limit it and Toronto has to initiate the review, not the team.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Where’s our boy Ragamuffin? Remember you can’t let in 3 ****ing goals every game and expect to win.

What does one call it when a goalie has a 3-1 series lead and lets in a shitty OT goal and then has the most epic, most historical collapse, on a 5 minute major the league has ever seen?

Probably aren't words in the human language to describe it I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->