OT: Around the NHL: Free agency is upon us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
It’s always been the rich white boy sport, but that’s changing a little bit for the better… still a long ways to go ie…

My daughter was telling me just the other day how the boys on her team were having a huge argument over who lived in the biggest house.

I rolled my eyes and mumbled something about dumb ass white ‘burb kids in their little bubbles.

So. . . do programs like Sid and the Pens donating equipment get meaningful numbers of non-rich kids involved in the game? Or is that just a PR thing?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
So. . . do programs like Sid and the Pens donating equipment get meaningful numbers of non-rich kids involved in the game? Or is that just a PR thing?

I think it helps introduce children without means to the sport, but the issue is after the program is over, when kids get into ADM… the fees and cost of gear fall back on the parents again.

I think without even including gear, it was like 2k just for ADM.

My daughter plays travel now and it cost somewhere around 5k last season with league fees, tourney fees and hotels… which is honestly cheap.

She actually has the coach from Pens Elite girls always asking us to let her play for his team (which is one of the best girls programs in the country) but the cost is insane.

Most of the girls on that team are really good, but well to do.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Here in California an hour of sticktime is $10+

A rec league will run you about $35 per game in a season

One football costs $90 for real leather and will last years. And you can play in your neighborhood with the shoes on your feet. Not $300 worth of gear that wears out just in moving let alone games.

As a lower middle class white kid, I couldn't afford to play hockey out here.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
Yo the Leafs fwd depth is trash now. They’ve almost entered Pittsburgh 2014 territory already haha

They've been bleeding depth every year since they signed JT. It's comical at this point

Someone on the mainboard said their best year in the playoffs was their first go against the caps where the Leafs were the underdogs and played with heart. I believe that was also before they signed Tavares. Always should've been Mathews team

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
They've been bleeding depth every year since they signed JT. It's comical at this point

Someone on the mainboard said their best year in the playoffs was their first go against the caps where the Leafs were the underdogs and played with heart. I believe that was also before they signed Tavares. Always should've been Mathews team

To be fair they probably should have beat Boston in 2019. But yea they’re thin already and their pipeline is not looking amazing. They still have a killer top six but those bottom lines..

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
He’s a mega talent. But I know at least earlier in his career, he looked like he had zero purpose on the ice. Just kinda made skilled plays when he could and not much else.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg

They should change their logo to this:
circus-by-derek-yoder-dribbble.png

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
So we didn't have to drop like 30 spots in the draft and lose one of the best (if not the best) forward prospects in our system to have the privilege of playing Reaves 9 minutes a night to plod around the ice, do absolutely f*** all, and bark from the bench? Hmm.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Crazy.

Things are just going to keep getting worse for that franchise as more and more of this comes to light.

And like someone said, over a VIDEO COACH. I'm not saying it's right in ANY situation, but it's so unbelievable that there'd be so much protection for a VIDEO COACH. Not the head coach, not the GM, not an owner or family member of the owner, but a VIDEO COACH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad