Around the NHL - Episode XXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Sharks get curb stomped by Tampa and have lost 3 in a row and 4 of their last 6. Guess November really was an easy schedule for them.
They aren't a top team, but Karlsson has been playing well so they'll definitely battle for a playoff spot especially once Hertl is fully healthy

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
They aren't a top team, but Karlsson has been playing well so they'll definitely battle for a playoff spot especially once Hertl is fully healthy

If Hertl really is the difference between them making it of not, they're in greater danger than I thought.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Sharks get curb stomped by Tampa and have lost 3 in a row and 4 of their last 6. Guess November really was an easy schedule for them.

If you actually want us to get a high pick, you have to say the opposite about San Jose even if you don't believe it.

"San Jose is a great team, we should expect to pick 20th-31st"

I don't make the rules, it's just how the hockey gods work.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I will expect the San Jose pick to be a late first until they are eliminated from playoff contention.
No matter where they sit in the standings.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Of course you would use this to justify terrible trades.

The only trade you could argue was "terrible" was the Hoffman one. The rest were somewhere between "amazing" (Dzingel) to "good" (Stone). Karlsson and Duchene trade fall somewhere in between the Dzingel and Stone trades.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The only trade you could argue was "terrible" was the Hoffman one. The rest were somewhere between "amazing" (Dzingel) to "good" (Stone). Karlsson and Duchene trade fall somewhere in between the Dzingel and Stone trades.
Stone trade was barely passable.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Stone trade was barely passable.

It was not a great trade but it could still be a good trade depending on how Brannstrom develops and who we pick with the Vegas second. Technically it is Dallas' second as Vegas had acquired it from them before trading it to us. I would rank the trades as follows:

1. Dzingel
2. Karlsson
3. Duchene
4. Stone
5. Bag of pucks
6. Hoffman

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
It was not a great trade but it could still be a good trade depending on how Brannstrom develops and who we pick with the Vegas second. Technically it is Dallas' second as Vegas had acquired it from them before trading it to us. I would rank the trades as follows:

1. Dzingel
2. Karlsson
3. Duchene
4. Stone
5. Bag of pucks
6. Hoffman
Stone trade should have included a 1st.

Hoffman trade was awful since we took Boedker back.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The Hoffman trade was the only one that could be called an embarrassment, but none of them can be classified as great or good until the magic beans Dorion chose prove to be something.

If Brannstrom busts or is just another average dman the Stone trade is garbage.

Same goes for the rest other than Duclair if we sign him.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
The Hoffman trade was the only one that could be called an embarrassment, but none of them can be classified as great or good until the magic beans Dorion chose prove to be something.

If Brannstrom busts or is just another average dman the Stone trade is garbage.

Same goes for the rest other than Duclair if we sign him.

At this point, the Dzingel trade is a win even if we did not receive two 2nd round picks in return, but hey we did, so that makes it an amazing trade. Second, the Karlsson trade gets seriously underrated around here. You do not have to think it was "amazing" but in hindsight it has turned into at the very least, a very good trade:

DeMelo is a top 4 defenseman
Balcers is looking like he could be the dark horse steal of that trade.
Josh Norris is at the moment, living up to his expectations. Now we see if it translates on an NHL level.
Tierney, I am not sure what happened to him this season but he is definitely an NHL player and is a solid 3rd line player. Most likely we move him and whatever the return is becomes a future asset bred from this trade.
2020 1st round pick - the fact that this pick could end up being anywhere from 5-15 is a blessing, most of us probably figured at the time of the trade that it was guaranteed to be a 25-31 ranked pick. It still could, but the possibility the Sharks miss the playoffs and we end up with another top 15 pick this year is beautiful.

A good trade, anyone who says otherwise is just not seeing the big picture here.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
At this point, the Dzingel trade is a win even if we did not receive two 2nd round picks in return, but hey we did, so that makes it an amazing trade. Second, the Karlsson trade gets seriously underrated around here. You do not have to think it was "amazing" but in hindsight it has turned into at the very least, a very good trade:

Josh Norris is at the moment, living up to his expectations. Now we see if it translates on an NHL level.
Tierney, I am not sure what happened to him this season but he is definitely an NHL player and is a solid 3rd line player. Most likely we move him and whatever the return is becomes a future asset bred from this trade.
2020 1st round pick - the fact that this pick could end up being anywhere from 5-15 is a blessing, most of us probably figured at the time of the trade that it was guaranteed to be a 25-31 ranked pick. It still could, but the possibility the Sharks miss the playoffs and we end up with another top 15 pick this year is beautiful.

A good trade, anyone who says otherwise is just not seeing the big picture here.

The SJ pick could be literally anywhere from 5-30. 3 points from 3rd in their division and anything can happen in the playoffs. I doubt they miss the playoffs to be realistic but agree that it's looking better than expected so far.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
The SJ pick could be literally anywhere from 5-30. 3 points from 3rd in their division and anything can happen in the playoffs. I doubt they miss the playoffs to be realistic but agree that it's looking better than expected so far.
The pick could also could literally be from 1-4 :naughty:

Reactions: Boud

h2

Mar 26, 2002

I see this often times here and strongly disagree with the assessment. He's a 3rd pairing dman on a cup winning team, nothing more. However, I agree with most of the OP and think you made solid points, my only other disagreement would be to classify the Karlsson trade as 'acceptable' instead of 'good'.

Reactions: God Says No

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed, but I do think it's worth keeping in mind that Karlsson was a first round pick that turned out as best as could possibly be hoped for. Wherever we end up picking, not all first round picks turn out as well as that one did.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto

I think Ottawa also received a second round pick from San Jose after Karlsson signed with them.

Reactions: TheDebater

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I think Ottawa also received a second round pick from San Jose after Karlsson signed with them.

The thought crossed my mind while I was finishing up that post, but was not sure and did not feel like looking it up. I do recall there was a conditional 1st based on the Sharks making the finals but cannot remember if there was a conditional pick based on him re-signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad