Around the NHL - Episode XLVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well, i gather the view from the executive suite was there's zero chance Balcers would have been here long term

I think something most here would agree on is we have a very large pipeline of players coming in the next few years and this was going to result in some casualties. Balcers appears to be the first of those casualties

In the past we alway had a last look at guys like that before moving on, Prince got ~40 games before we traded him, Puemple got a dozen or so,

With no preseason this year and a team that very few expected to be in the playoffs at the end of the year, it would have been nice to get a chance to see where he stood in game action before moving on, our large pipeline didn't stop us from signing Galchenyuk who is likely gone after this season. Maybe after a dozen games a team running into injuries would flip us a 3rd for him the way the ils's did for Prince

Paul's coming out party makes it hard to imagine Balcer's in our top 9 failing injuries though, maybe if we tried a offence oriented 4th, but that doesn't seem like our coaching staffs style.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
There was zero chance Balcers was making our roster next year as well.

There's still several forwards that won't be on the team very long that I would rather see Balcers play over

If the plan was not having Balcers long term, then you deal him when he has value (like when he's 22 y/o and scoring 16 goals/36 pts in 33 AHL games) or as part of a package or for a pick, anything that looks like you are at least trying to manage your assets correctly. Ottawa doesn't have the benefit of the doubt of being TOO RICH for doing that. And even then, teams don't throw aways assets for nothing. They thought he would go unclaimed through a massive waivers wave but it backfired.

For a very competitive team with many solid vets on 1-way contracts, waiving a guy like Balcers due to a number's game can totally happen and it's not the end of the world, but for a rebuilding that has finished bottom-2 three years in a row, it looks "weird" at best. When the reason is because you logjam your roster with mediocre/bad veteran cast-offs, it's literally stupid.

Waiving Balcers, Chlapik and Jaros in favor of Anisimov, Paquette and Reilly/Coburn? Stupid for a team that just finished a 100% rebuild last trade deadline.

yeas because we're so chock full of elite nhl forwards

23 y/o rookie Daniel Alfredsson wouldn't even make this team :sarcasm:

Last edited:

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa
Pretty crazy to hear all the drama coming out of Winnipeg following the departure of Laine. Not a good look for the vets if true.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Not sure I believe all of that. I'm sure a lot of animosity between the two came from Laine's lazy one-dimensional play and bad attitude, which is something that has been a constant his entire hockey career.

Still **** Blake Wheeler. Not for anything he's done in Winnipeg but for what he did to the Coyotes.

Yotes drafted him with the 5th OVR pick in 2004, despite Wheeler being expected to go in the latter half of the 1st round, developed him for 4YRs and then watched him promptly screw over the organization that took a massive gamble on him by refusing to sign and jumping ship to play in Boston.

He ended up getting traded from Boston the year they won the cup and has spent the rest of his career playing in Winnipeg, by far the worst destination in the league, and hasn't won anything his entire career so jokes on him.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
There's still several forwards that won't be on the team very long that I would rather see Balcers play over

If the plan was not having Balcers long term, then you deal him when he has value (like when he's 22 y/o and scoring 16 goals/36 pts in 33 AHL games) or as part of a package or for a pick, anything that looks like you are at least trying to manage your assets correctly. Ottawa doesn't have the benefit of the doubt of being TOO RICH for doing that. And even then, teams don't throw aways assets for nothing. They thought he would go unclaimed through a massive waivers wave but it backfired.

For a very competitive team with many solid vets on 1-way contracts, waiving a guy like Balcers due to a number's game can totally happen and it's not the end of the world, but for a rebuilding that has finished bottom-2 three years in a row, it looks "weird" at best. When the reason is because you logjam your roster with mediocre/bad veteran cast-offs, it's literally stupid.

Waiving Balcers, Chlapik and Jaros in favor of Anisimov, Paquette and Reilly/Coburn? Stupid for a team that just finished a 100% rebuild last trade deadline.

23 y/o rookie Daniel Afredsson wouldn't even make this team :sarcasm:

I would hazard to guess that they tried to move Balcers & there were not takers hence, being placed on waivers. I'm sure they have known for a while what they wanted to do & that Balcers would not be part of any long term team here given some of the other prospects coming including Formenton. I'm also not that sure that Balcers in this lineup would have improved the team any, we've seen him before & he is okay at best, I'm not even sure if he sticks in the NHL past this yr.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I would hazard to guess that they tried to move Balcers & there were not takers hence, being placed on waivers. I'm sure they have known for a while what they wanted to do & that Balcers would not be part of any long term team here given some of the other prospects coming including Formenton. I'm also not that sure that Balcers in this lineup would have improved the team any, we've seen him before & he is okay at best, I'm not even sure if he sticks in the NHL past this yr.

They tried to sneak Balcers through with the mass crowd being waived .., no more no less .. Chlapik passed Balcers didn't largely because of the familiarity SJ already had with him. I doubt any other team snaps him up.

Dorion saying what he did afterwards was dumb... surprise. What if SJ waived him again.. Now Dorion takes him back after saying there were better options.. We know now there really weren't

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
They tried to sneak Balcers through with the mass crowd being waived .., no more no less .. Chlapik passed Balcers didn't largely because of the familiarity SJ already had with him. I doubt any other team snaps him up.

Dorion saying what he did afterwards was dumb... surprise. What if SJ waived him again.. Now Dorion takes him back after saying there were better options.. We know now there really weren't
I bet Balcers ends up in Europe sooner or later.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Pretty crazy to hear all the drama coming out of Winnipeg following the departure of Laine. Not a good look for the vets if true.

Elite primary culture! Vets are so good for young players!

I really doubt they tried during the pandemic and when the league started back, it was not really the kind of timing to trade a somewhat unproven 23 y/o prospect. Teams are not stupid, they knew there would be a massive number of players on waivers, particularly after they knew about the taxi squad rules.

And I really doubt a 22 y/o PPG and 0.5 GPG player in the AHL had zero value last year. Balcers has a pretty good track record everywhere he played, except that 15 games sample size the year he started the season with a torn MLC.

And yes, guys like Rudolfs Balcers and Logan Brown totally improve this team. Maybe not in primary culture per second, intense hits or Cross Checks/60, but simply with passing and shooting ability, or maybe even just hockey IQ. Even if that doesn't translate in wins right away, it's more enjoyable to watch and the team as a whole develop better puck movement and puck management, which is something that has been quite bad so far outside of a few players.

You like size and strenght, I like puck moevement and overall skill. I think passing and shooting the puck is still pretty important in today's game. I'm not saying all your players need to be pure skill, but most of them need skill. If not, you will be at the bottom of the standings for a while, like it has been the case for the Sens.

If Balcers become just a decent NHL player, it will be just another proof of how Dorion is out of his league as a NHL GM.

He is European. I am not saying rah rah Balcers. I am just saying the vets Dorion brought in are no better than him or Chlapik.

They have Anisimov as the 2nd line C.

/Subject

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad