Around the NHL - Episode XLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Maybe all the NHLers will want to be in a Canadian bubble
Of note, theNBA apparently banned retirement compensation arrangements because they felt it gave raptors an unfair advantage...

How pro athletes and other high earners stick-handle high Canadian income taxes - The Globe and Mail

Mr. Parry has put RCAs to work for numerous pro hockey players among the Leafs and Montreal Canadiens.
He has also tried to put them in place for Toronto Raptors basketball players, but the National Basketball Association’s collective bargaining agreement bans the practice. The NBA felt the implementation of RCAs gave the Raptors, the sole franchise outside the United States, “an unfair advantage,” according to Mr. Parry

There is obviously the disadvantage of delaying compensation till your retirement, so not everyone will want to go that route.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Of note, theNBA apparently banned retirement compensation arrangements because they felt it gave raptors an unfair advantage...

How pro athletes and other high earners stick-handle high Canadian income taxes - The Globe and Mail

There is obviously the disadvantage of delaying compensation till your retirement, so not everyone will want to go that route.

However, the person with the RCA gets to put some of his earnings into the RCA without paying income taxes on it and only pays income taxes when he takes funds out of the RCA.

Last edited by a moderator:

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
Guess we're not the only fanbase who are FAR better at design than their respective franchise.

upload_2020-11-18_9-16-51.png

Reactions: robsenz and Beville

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Any predictions on where Hoffman and Duclair end up, and their contracts ?

mine are

Duclair to Nashville 1 x 2M
Hoffman to Columbus 1 year x 3.5M.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
He was a serviceable NHLer for several seasons despite his stone hands, he worked hard for it because he couldn't just sail by on his talent. Seems like a good type for a player development coach.

The Anacondra had hands like feet, but I was a fan of his. Good for him on getting an NHL job in retirement.

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
I don't get the sense that the season will start in january. Covid is so high right now.
I hope the jrs arnt cancelled that will be so awesome to watch.

Reactions: Icelevel and DJB

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I don’t see the season starting before Feb 1 if the players don’t give in on deferring some additional salary.

Reactions: Icelevel

MrInvidious

Sep 25, 2020
Toronto, ON / Ottawa, ON
Don't ask me how I know, but the NHL season is far more likely to start in early February than January. The league has known this for a while now but has publicly taken the stance of early January. Organizations have been expecting a later start.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Don't ask me how I know, but the NHL season is far more likely to start in early February than January. The league has known this for a while now but has publicly taken the stance of early January. Organizations have been expecting a later start.

Well at least we'll have something to look forward to in February for once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad