Around the NHL - Episode XLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
My problem with Cirelli is I think Josh Norris will be better and whatever Cirelli costs would be way too much for a 3rd line player.
If Norris gets there it will take him no less than 3 years. He's on the cusp of making the the lineup this year.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I'd be happily surprised if Norris ends up better than Cirelli, and would be equally surprised if Cirelli ends up a 3rd liner.

A guy who was the 2nd line C for the cup winning team would easily be a 2nd line C for most NHL teams
I think Norris is special, he literally has no weaknesses to his game. I feel he is our best pre 2020 prospect. What we need is to find a 1LC since a LW lineup of Stuetzle Brady Formenton gets me so pumped.

How about L Brown, Brannstrom, Tierney (placeholder), Unprotected 1st in 2021 and 2 x 2021 2nds for Barzal or Dubois.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
From all the scenarios I've looked at I think Tampa is going to need to trade Killorn, Paquette and Cernak if they want to fit in Cirelli, even on an extremely cheap bridge deal.

Trading those 3 guys, while taking no cap back, would open up 4.2M in cap space to re-sign Cirelli and add 4 more cheap bodies (2 at forward, 2 at D) to give them 13F, 7D and 2G. Unless Cirelli takes under 1.7M on a 1YR bridge deal ala Lebanc, I don't see how they can make it work. Unless they are fine not having any spares on their roster, which is something I don't think I've seen an NHL team do.

Good luck to Brisebois in pulling that off.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Segechev gets 2.4, 4.8 and 7.2. Smart by Tampa to go 3 years instead of 2, likely lowers the AAV and Serg gets more take home by backloading to year 3.

Smart by Tampa to pay Serg what he is worth ... and not over pay. There probably is positive value in that contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Given that Tampa already has Stamkos and Point as their top 2 centers long-term, with a gaping hole at RD going forward, it wouldn't shock me if they chose to re-sign Cernak to a cheap bridge deal and deal Cirelli.

Cernak fills more of a need, will probably be cheaper to re-sign, and Cirelli can return more in a trade.

If that's the case I'm sure we'll be all Cirelli.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
From all the scenarios I've looked at I think Tampa is going to need to trade Killorn, Paquette and Cernak if they want to fit in Cirelli, even on an extremely cheap bridge deal.

Trading those 3 guys, while taking no cap back, would open up 4.2M in cap space to re-sign Cirelli and add 4 more cheap bodies (2 at forward, 2 at D) to give them 13F, 7D and 2G. Unless Cirelli takes under 1.7M on a 1YR bridge deal ala Lebanc, I don't see how they can make it work. Unless they are fine not having any spares on their roster, which is something I don't think I've seen an NHL team do.

Good luck to Brisebois in pulling that off.

I have a feeling that they are counting on a) Cirelli & Cernak signing cheap 1/2yr deals and b) a taxi squad that doesnt count against the cap. But they will need both of those things to happen + to move at least two of their 7-figure guys in order to make even that work.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I have a feeling that they are counting on a) Cirelli & Cernak signing cheap 1/2yr deals and b) a taxi squad that doesnt count against the cap. But they will need both of those things to happen + to move at least two of their 7-figure guys in order to make even that work.

If they can move Johnson by attaching their 2021 1st, are okay with trading Killorn, and take no cap back then they could probably fit both in, but it will still be tight.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Sergachev just guaranteed himself a 7.2 mil QO after this deal so he is likely pretty happy.

Yep - but that fits in their competitive windows. Here at home we have White “guaranteeing” himself $6.25+ for 1/10th the effective play.

Tampa’s an easy sell to the player but they did well. Some posters here were considering $8x8 type money for Serg.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
If they can move Johnson by attaching their 2021 1st, are okay with trading Killorn, and take no cap back then they could probably fit both in, but it will still be tight.
The problem there is there isn’t much money left in the market to absorb those deals and the NTCs. They are in a pickle.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The problem there is there isn’t much money left in the market to absorb those deals and the NTCs. They are in a pickle.

Yeah I wouldn't waive if I were Johnson.

IMO most likely scenario is they trade Killorn, Cernak and Paquette/Coburn, while Cirelli bails them out by signing a ridiculously low 1YR deal, with the promise of a bigger next contract.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yeah I wouldn't waive if I were Johnson.

IMO most likely scenario is they trade Killorn, Cernak and Paquette/Coburn, while Cirelli bails them out by signing a ridiculously low 1YR deal, with the promise of a bigger next contract.
Might be tough to move Killorn, he has a 16 team NTC and there aren’t many teams that can absorb his cap hit. He could make life difficult for Brisebois.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The problems with Johnson are he is small, aging, declining, has a no movement clause and 4 more years on his deal. And he doesn't want to waive. He's going to be tough to move.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Given that Tampa already has Stamkos and Point as their top 2 centers long-term, with a gaping hole at RD going forward, it wouldn't shock me if they chose to re-sign Cernak to a cheap bridge deal and deal Cirelli.

Cernak fills more of a need, will probably be cheaper to re-sign, and Cirelli can return more in a trade.

If that's the case I'm sure we'll be all Cirelli.

While I think it could be very difficult to move Stamkos & his contract, that's what I think Tampa should do. He's as injury prone as any player I have ever seen in the NHL & he always seems to miss playoff games because of it. He's also 30 yrs old & Tampa has proven they are still a good team without him & could solve a number of problems including financial & cap space if they moved him & may even get a decent return because of it. Surprisingly, he has had some 82 game seasons.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
While I think it could be very difficult to move Stamkos & his contract, that's what I think Tampa should do. He's as injury prone as any player I have ever seen in the NHL & he always seems to miss playoff games because of it. He's also 30 yrs old & Tampa has proven they are still a good team without him & could solve a number of problems including financial & cap space if they moved him & may even get a decent return because of it. Surprisingly, he has had some 82 game seasons.

Stamkos has a full NMC. They couldn't trade him even if they wanted to.

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
I would like to see the Sens grab Cernak, and run a Right Wing Lock this year in the Canandian division, and maybe next year too as we wait for the young defensive talent to get show-worthy.

We will have less offensive skill than the other 6 teams, so our best hope is to beat them with structure and knocking down their will to compete. Cernak, Gudbranson and Brown compare reasonably to the Left Wing Lock bashers that got us to the conference finals in Methot, Phaneuf and Boro, so it could work well. And if not, losing to the Habs and Leafs gets much more palatable if you at least see their wingers pay a big price to get the puck in deep.

Seeing the way Washington and Vegas take away the space with big, tough defensemen, it is an obvious nice ingredient to freeing up forwards to be creative and have more puck control time.

Reactions: variable26

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Cernak would be amazing but given Tampa's depth on the right side of their defense I would assume he's the last guy that they would consider trading right now.

Guys like Palat, Killorn, Gourde, Johnson is what they'll try to move somehow. It's worth paying to get rid of these guys if the reward is keeping guys like Cernak, Sergachev and Cirelli. I could even see them trading Sergachev over Cernak. It's sounds crazy but they'd get a much better return while they already have Hedman and McDonaugh on the left side and it could help them fill some holes in their lineup.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Interesting tweet from Lebrun. I have no idea what they are fighting over. Basic math tells you that the league should probably not even operate this season. Can you imagine operating and having to shell out large dollar salaries. Impossible, the losses would be staggering

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Interesting tweet from Lebrun. I have no idea what they are fighting over. Basic math tells you that the league should probably not even operate this season. Can you imagine operating and having to shell out large dollar salaries. Impossible, the losses would be staggering

The problem is you need more than basic math to solve complicated equasions. Bettman wants to press forward to avoid long term damages associated with an extended abscence. The next tv contract is more important than this years revenues, so is making sure fans don't lose interest. They need to consider the implications of their actions today and project out 10+ years. You can be sure they wouldn't be pressing forward potentially putting peoples health at risk if they didn't think it would be more profitable than the alternative.

Last edited:

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Playing is better than not playing to keep the already small interest level hockey has in the US.

Reactions: Beville

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

NHL players don't want to take a major paycut this year, like a big chunk of people on the planet did. It's a bit normal that they would make significantly less since it's pretty much the people in the stands paying their salary. I mean, couldn't they accept to make 6 M$ instead of 10 M$ this year? Please? I'm not siding with players this time, we need hockey more than ever and even if playing for 50% of their usual salary, it's still much better than nothing (and older players are those who make more, staying too long without playing NHL competitive hockey doesn't help their future when young guns will come after their job so they might lose ground on their next contract if they regress a bit faster than they would normally have)

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
NHL players don't want to take a major paycut this year, like a big chunk of people on the planet did. It's a bit normal that they would make significantly less since it's pretty much the people in the stands paying their salary. I mean, couldn't they accept to make 6 M$ instead of 10 M$ this year? Please? I'm not siding with players this time, we need hockey more than ever and even if playing for 50% of their usual salary, it's still much better than nothing (and older players are those who make more, staying too long without playing NHL competitive hockey doesn't help their future when young gus will come after their job so they might lose ground on their next contract if they "age out" a bit faster)

The issue is they had an agreement and the players coughed up salary and agreed to deferrals

Before that agreement even hits the ice, the owners want more concessions

It's more a debate about the violation of an agreement than the specifics of it. Salary for players is ultimately a 50 50 split and it'll take a long time to arrive at how that split gets properly accounted for this year

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The issue is they had an agreement and the players coughed up salary and agreed to deferrals

Before that agreement even hits the ice, the owners want more concessions

It's more a debate about the violation of an agreement than the specifics of it. Salary for players is ultimately a 50 50 split and it'll take a long time to arrive at how that split gets properly accounted for this year

Well I only heard about this listening to TVA Sports and there was a few Antoine Roussel interviews repeating that the players are very firm on their position

I have no idea why the owners had already agreed to that 72%, that was stupid. It was before the "2nd wave", were they expecting things to not be that bad? Were they expecting people in the stands at some point this season? I have no idea how they thought it would be a good idea to agree to that when your revenues are destroyed

Given that several franchises are already hurting, my guess is no NHL this year. Or it will be because Batman saves the day

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad