Around the NHL - Episode XLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Honestly, i think the Ott team name did a great job of tying together the local identity of a gov't town with a theme (Roman military) that lends itself well to sports.

I'm not sure how names like Blues, Leafs, Capitals, Penguins, or Ducks are somehow better

The Blues are named after a song called "St. Louis Blues". It is a fantastic track and a great name for a team based out of St. Louis.

I don't mind the Roman Centurion theme we have, it looks cool and is pretty disctinct but it is a bit random and very 90's.

Reactions: Micklebot

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I get a pretty good kick out of these magazines when the do their official "rankings" for team jerseys and team names.

Its essentially the same level of debate that kindergartners would have while arguing over whether blue or red is the best color, or what their favorite letter of the alphabet is. I dont even know why anyone puts any thought into it when there is no wrong answer. There never will be either.

Reactions: Deku and JD1

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I get a pretty good kick out of these magazines when the do their official "rankings" for team jerseys and team names.

Its essentially the same level of debate that kindergartners would have while arguing over whether blue or red is the best color, or what their favorite letter of the alphabet is. I dont even know why anyone puts any thought into it when there is no wrong answer. There never will be either.

There are wrong answers.

The Buffalo Slug was objectively awful for example. Of course it being objectively awful doesn't mean no one liked it.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I love our theme, name, colors and original jerseys. It's what made me a fan in the mid 90's when I really only collected hockey cards, magazines, etc. and didn't have TV to actually watch hockey.

Reactions: DrEasy and HzH

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
There are wrong answers.

The Buffalo Slug was objectively awful for example. Of course it being objectively awful doesn't mean no one liked it.

There's definitely some brutal jerseys/logos, but in terms of ranking all of them league-wide, its pretty muddy waters. Aside from a few I'd say most main jerseys currently in the league are pretty good.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa

Come on. Obviously blue.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The Arizona/Chayka situation is interesting.
Sources: Coyotes' relationship with GM Chayka fell apart over new opportunity - Sportsnet.ca

Senators probably not involved but there is a connection with Anthony LeBlanc and Ottawa was at one point looking for a president of hockey operations.
He’d be much better suited in the background than he is as the main cog as GM. Would be a good hire as a background analyst, though the use of analytics in hockey still leaves a lot to be desired both at the pro and junior levels.

He knows his hockey, apparently a very nice guy, and has some great experience. He’d be great for a role as a background analyst/advisor. He was a good Junior A player out East.

Last edited:

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
The Arizona/Chayka situation is interesting.
Sources: Coyotes' relationship with GM Chayka fell apart over new opportunity - Sportsnet.ca

Senators probably not involved but there is a connection with Anthony LeBlanc and Ottawa was at one point looking for a president of hockey operations.

NVM.

Just wondering, GM's have a fair amount of sway in the game, make probably at least a million a year, and he had 4 year left on his deal. What opportunity popped up that made him completely break off this fast?

Spoiler alert, it's not President of Ottawa Senators Hockey Ops.

Reactions: DrEasy

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Just wondering, GM's have a fair amount of sway in the game, make probably at least a million a year, and he had 4 year left on his deal. What opportunity popped up that made him completely break off this fast?

Apparently to do with a group who have teams in more than one league, which would give him oversight and duties in multiple sports leagues.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Not that I ever said that’s what I thought the opportunity was.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Apparently to do with a group who have teams in more than one league, which would give him oversight and duties in multiple sports leagues.

If that's true, I bet it has something to do with James Dolan/MSG. That dude loves to (try to) poach other team's execs.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Coyotes owner to ask Bettman to adjudicate split with Chayka - Sportsnet.ca

This is peak NHL drama if I've ever seen it. From the article:

"Approximately one month ago, Meruelo received a request from another NHL owner to speak to Chayka. Initially, the request was denied. (There’s been a lot of speculation about the Buffalo Sabres, but I’m also hearing rumblings about New Jersey, although the Devils have hired Tom Fitzgerald. Word is Chayka will take time away before making any further comment or commitment.) Understand that Meruelo — up until this saga unfolded — was an enormous Chayka fan. He believed in the GM’s vision, extending him through the 2023-24 season, making the Coyotes a cap team.

Eventually, Meruelo relented and allowed the conversation. This will be a critical part of the process. He will argue that he was lied to about what was to be discussed and that Chayka said he had no intention of leaving. What, if anything, is in writing?

From what I understand, a Godfather-esque “offer he couldn’t refuse” was made. Some sources indicated that it was not a lateral move, bigger than the current job Chayka was doing. It is believed that this involves an ownership group with teams in other leagues and Chayka could have involvement in those other teams."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad