Around The NHL Discussion 2021-22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Initially I thought Colorado stayed the same or got better but looking at the total picture, I think you're right. However, they will still be very good with the pieces they still have.
Lost Soderberg, Bellemare, Grubauer, Donskoi, Graves, Timmins, Nemeth. Likely to lose Saad.

Bowen Byram and Alex Newhook likely become more prominent pieces for them. EJ will be back from injury. MacDermid replaces Nemeth. They have to resign Jost but will have money to play with after.
They will still be good, but people act like they are Cup favorite and I don't see it.

Reactions: BlueDream

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Is there any rationale to their goalie swap? From an outside pov it makes no sense at all.

They didn't want to pay Groobs what Seattle offered.
I think Grubauer shocked them by signing with Seattle. Every offseason, the game of goalie musical chairs happens and Colorado was about near at the point of not having anything when the music stopped. Keumper has been pretty good in Arizona. If anything, he might be a slight upgrade over Grubauer in that he makes less money this year and affords Colorado to add another piece.

Vektor

Jun 11, 2018
They didn't want to pay Groobs what Seattle offered.
Gotcha. Seems like they barely saved anything but I guess the term has to be considered as well. Still, they gave up a first rounder and a roster player all to save a few mil. I think Kuemper is a downgrade but I guess we will see if it was the right move in a year or so.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Gotcha. Seems like they barely saved anything but I guess the term has to be considered as well. Still, they gave up a first rounder and a roster player all to save a few mil. I think Kuemper is a downgrade but I guess we will see if it was the right move in a year or so.
I don't think it was smart move either. LeBrun reports they offered him 5x5.

Reactions: Vektor

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
I think Grubauer shocked them by signing with Seattle. Every offseason, the game of goalie musical chairs happens and Colorado was about near at the point of not having anything when the music stopped. Keumper has been pretty good in Arizona. If anything, he might be a slight upgrade over Grubauer in that he makes less money this year and affords Colorado to add another piece.
I think the problem for them is they traded a lot of value for an older, more injury prone guy, who only has 1 year left on his contract. When they could've have signed their guy and retained those assets.

They essentially paid a 1st and decent young player to kick the can down the road for a year since they'll have to figure out whether to pay Kuemper or look for another goalie next summer.

Reactions: Blueston

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
I think the problem for them is they traded a lot of value for an older, more injury prone guy, who only has 1 year left on his contract. When they could've have signed their guy and retained those assets.

They essentially paid a 1st and decent young player to kick the can down the road for a year since they'll have to figure out whether to pay Kuemper or look for another goalie next summer.
The problem is Grubauer caught them with their pants down and they had to scramble quickly. Keumper was probably Plan B or C and the cost only went up after the market quickly dried up. The stalling tactic worked out with Landeskog, getting a deal done at the 11th hour. Not so much with Grubauer.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
The problem is Grubauer caught them with their pants down and they had to scramble quickly. Keumper was probably Plan B or C and the cost only went up after the market quickly dried up. The stalling tactic worked out with Landeskog, getting a deal done at the 11th hour. Not so much with Grubauer.
LeBrun said Freddie was Plan B but he signed in Carolina rather than waiting for Avs.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
They definitely got burned trying to stall on Grubauer, but in hindsight, they would've been better off signing him

Reactions: Blueswin

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
I get that CBJ can’t let all their guys leave, but making Werenski 3rd highest paid D in league is something else. Wow.
I’m not gonna fault them. I was actually just thinking how great it is that we have such a welcoming Alumni community. I wasn’t ever the biggest Tkachuk fan but how great is he as an ambassador for the Blues? And now we are speculating his talented son might want to come here and play. Anyway, this is all to say that Columbus needs to start building out their community. They need some good character guys that play there for their career. Overpay now and hopefully get some dividends later.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express
I get that CBJ can’t let all their guys leave, but making Werenski 3rd highest paid D in league is something else. Wow.

yep, it makes me a little worried what Parayko will ask for if he has a great bounce back season?

Also, if Krug settles in and is utilized on the 2nd pair-1PP and plays up to his norm, his contract will be much more palatable after seeing some of D contracts handed out lately!

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
God damn that Werenski deal. I'd rather have at least 20 other Dmen on my team over him, not even considering his contract. Good for him and his agent.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Werenski is a damn good defenseman.

Saying that, Jesus H. Christmas is that a lot of cap. I thought Kekalainen was supposed to play hardball with contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia