Around The NHL Discussion 2019/20 - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I don't think I can get behind Jamie F'n Benn winning a Cup, so I'm going TBL-VGK final. Reaves vs Maroon chirps.....
Agreed completely. The idea of that sleazy dirt bag Benn hoisting a cup is enough to make me gag. Let's go Vegas!

Wouldn't mind any of the other 3 remaining teams win...just no Jaime Benn please. Slightly off topic, but if Dallas wins a Cup Benn would likely end up in to the Hall of Fame based on Art Ross + SC win...which would be just awful.

Reactions: mk80

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Vegas still look utterly inept in front of goal. Only really had two goals in their last four games, plus a couple of empty netters in that game 7.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I just want Tampa to get the Cup. They deserve it.

How many teams could remove a 90-point forward from their lineup and still be way better than everyone else? Nobody else could do that.

It’s insane how they don’t even need Stamkos.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I don’t like Jamie Benn at all but him rolling his eyes at a question he was asked about Ryan Reaves was hilarious.

The media has really turned me off on Reaves. I know it’s not his fault but they are way overrating his impact on a game and it’s getting super annoying.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Apparently lots of bad blood between 'Canes and Checkers organizations. Not sure what root cause is.
I was under the impression the Checkers owner has a minority stake in the Canes. If so that's even more awkward, but I haven't done the research to check if that's true or just in my head somehow.

Either way I wonder how this affects the Checkers going forward, they may lose a portion of the fans that were only there because of the Canes affiliation. But it's also a loss for the Canes in state marketing as well, and I feel like Charlotte is good airport for getting call ups to and from Charlotte when the Canes are on the road, and only a 25 minute flight to Raleigh. However prospect development wise it suffers from it's position on an island within the AHL

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Kings sign Sean Walker to a 4 year extension worth $2.65M per year. I wonder if the Blues see him as a comparable for Vince Dunn. If so, I think that would put Dunn at around $2M per year on a 1-2 year bridge deal or more like $3M-$3.5M on a 5 year deal.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Farming Rises, Sports Tumbles in U.S. Industry Ratings

GALLUP: Farming Rises, Sports Tumbles in U.S. Industry Ratings

Excepts:

The biggest slide, however, has been for the sports industry, with its positive score falling 15 points -- from 45% to 30%.

The sports industry now has a negative image, on balance, among Americans as a whole, with 30% viewing it positively and 40% negatively, for a -10 net-positive score. This contrasts with the +20 net positive image it enjoyed in 2019, when 45% viewed it positively and 25% negatively.

Sports has been acutely affected by the twin events steering news and culture in 2020: the pandemic and the renewed movement for racial justice. The sports industry's relationship with fans has been disrupted by the need to shrink its seasons and schedules and play to empty venues as a means of keeping fans and players safe. At the same time, the greater social and political activism of players and, in some cases now, coaching staffs and entire leagues appears to have turned off Americans who disagree with their messages or the way they express them. The net effect at this point has been negative for the industry's image.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I miss this...BIG TIME...will we ever get this back? Calling Charles Glenn...calling Charles Glenn...

His anthems still gives me shivers...

I remember when 14-year old autistic and blind Holly Conner sang the anthem. I teared up.

And remember this one...mic goes out and Blues fans belt it out!

This ain't rocket science, its about the fans. The players and league better figure it out. Otherwise, you will see a contraction in professional sports.

Reactions: Frenzy31 and Ranksu

Xanadude

Jun 12, 2018
Ballwin
I totally get people tuning out of sports because of the lack of fans. The cup run was such a social thing, and I can't imagine if we were doing it now and unable to gather to watch games or even go to bars. I, and we, probably, come to watch the game, but lots of people prefer the party around it.

The NHL definetly has some question marks moving forward. Some franchises are deeply dependent on gate revenue (Arizona for sure, I think Dallas too? I remember reading that somewhere), but with all NHL games indoors, I'd be flabbergasted if any state allowed fans in attendance before we have full vaccine rollout, and that could be this time next year (or never, for all we know).

If the NFL can pull off travelling as well as the MLS and MLB, I'm guessing the NHL will plan on fan-less games with reduced travel. Maybe teams play in-season series like baseball...that'd make for some bloodbaths (and home/away doesn't matter without fans, just swap jerseys and benches).

But even then, no, it won't be the same.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
That Bjugstad deal probably gives you an idea of what it’ll take to move Bozak. Retain half for a conditional 7th or add a sweetener.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
That Bjugstad deal probably gives you an idea of what it’ll take to move Bozak. Retain half for a conditional 7th or add a sweetener.
They are wildly different circumstances really.

I doubt that Bjugstad could have been bought out by the Penguins, as that would require him being healthy during the buyout window.

He is constantly injured, having had a few major surgeries in the last year, and was owed $5.25m in salary next season. Whoever is acquiring him isn't even sure how much he'll play, never mind how effective he would be.

If Bjugstad had been a UFA this summer? I don't see any way he gets as much as $2m on a one year deal, ignoring the fact that the Wild are actually paying over $2.6m in salary. I think he'd have been looking at $1.25m max.

Bozak has a higher cap hit, but earns $1m less at $4.25m. He's healthy and a far better centre. Even production wise he's outproduced Bjugstad in terms of PPG in every season but 17/18, where Bjugstad had 6 more points.

If teams are concerned with dollars this season? Bozak at $4.25m salary is a far, far better option than Bjugstad at $2.6m salary. At least with Bozak you know youre getting a player who is likely to contribute.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Worth noting that the new CBA has got rid of the "negotiation period" that the last CBA brought in, so teams now have to wait until the opening of FA to talk to players. In theory.

Also, picks that are conditional on a player extending are no longer permitted. So the condition on the Scandella trade (where we gave a fourth because we extended him) wouldn't be allowed anymore.

So if teams are wanting to talk to players before FA then they're going to have to give up an asset.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
If Army would know for sure Pietro wouldnt sign in Blues he could trade his rights. At last get Something out of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad