Around The NHL Discussion 2019/20 - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
So it take 3 season Vegas become real Stanley Cup Contender. Have to give credit to their GM.
They have a center core that is worse than when we had Berglund playing Center every night and had to get rid of Stastny, Schmidt, and still have to move another high price (possibly high value) piece to even make the cap work. Yeah they have a great 1st pairing with Pietro and Theodore and Marchessault, Stone, Karlsson, and Patches are good. But Patches is about to start feeling his age and the rest of the team isn't going to light the world on fire either.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
They have a center core that is worse than when we had Berglund playing Center every night and had to get rid of Stastny, Schmidt, and still have to move another high price (possibly high value) piece to even make the cap work. Yeah they have a great 1st pairing with Pietro and Theodore and Marchessault, Stone, Karlsson, and Patches are good. But Patches is about to start feeling his age and the rest of the team isn't going to light the world on fire either.
I think their biggest question is can Glass play 2nd like center and is he ready? Stephenson is underrated. Just look jos stats + he can play PK too.

Chandler Stephenson at eliteprospects.com

I think Haula would fit perfectly on that roster. There is still decent guys like Granlund, Söderberg, Wilson, Brassard. If you can get one of them 700k-1mill.$ you will have win-win situation.

Last edited:

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
I think their biggest question is can Glass play 2nd like center and is he ready? Stephenson is underrated. Just look jos stats + he can play PK too.

Chandler Stephenson at eliteprospects.com
In his 41 regular season games with Vegas, he played at a 44pt pace while centering Pacioretty and Stone with heavy offensive usage.

In his 20 playoff games, he played at a 20pt pace and ended up getting demoted to centering the 4th line due to poor play.

Sounds like a meh at best 3C to me.

Xanadude

Jun 12, 2018
Ballwin
In his 41 regular season games with Vegas, he played at a 44pt pace while centering Pacioretty and Stone with heavy offensive usage.

In his 20 playoff games, he played at a 20pt pace and ended up getting demoted to centering the 4th line due to poor play.

Sounds like a meh at best 3C to me.
He's still young, but I agree that they're putting way, way too much hope into Glass or Stephenson becoming a strong 2c-and besides, though William Karlsson is good, that 40 goal season was an outlier.

They also fired Gallant and replaced him with DeBoer, which is just lol.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want anything to do with them in the playoffs, but they aren't prohibitive favorites. That's Colorado or Winnipeg if they can shore up their defense.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
The Coyotes handling of the Mitchell Miller pick makes no sense. There is no chance they didn't know about Miller's despicable behavior and the criticisms it would draw. I don't understand (truly I don't understand why you even bother drafting him) drafting him, then renouncing his rights when people - rightfully - hold your feet to the fire over it, as was always going to happen. You just burned a pick for seemingly no reason. Granted it was in the 4th round, but that was their highest pick this past draft.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
The Coyotes handling of the Mitchell Miller pick makes no sense. There is no chance they didn't know about Miller's despicable behavior and the criticisms it would draw. I don't understand (truly I don't understand why you even bother drafting him) drafting him, then renouncing his rights when people - rightfully - hold your feet to the fire over it, as was always going to happen. You just burned a pick for seemingly no reason. Granted it was in the 4th round, but that was their highest pick this past draft.
It’s not good for anyone. Miller’s story became more toxic through this process. Any chance he had to rehabilitate and pursue a pro career have shrunk significantly.

I’m not here to cast judgement on him, but I’m not enthusiastic about having him on the Blues. There isn’t a lot of convincing evidence of remorse. I’d like to think stupid stuff we did as teenagers can be overcome as we mature. But there has to be some insight and remorse.

The family of the victim have had to endure National publicity now, reopening wounds. Miller’s family is humiliated. The Coyotes look inept. I’m not convinced Bill Armstrong opposed this pick initially, but it’s awkward that he wasn’t responsible for their draft. Not the best way to start his tenure. Everyone loses.

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Vegas reminds me of the 2013 to 18 Blues good defence but poor down the middle and I agree they're putting too much hope into Glass and going to end up destroying him. I also believe Glass also has had injury problems that doesn't bode well either.

Let's talk about the coach. Peter DeBoer is a lame duck coach with him behind the bench they're not going anywhere. Even though they have Pietrangelo they're still not going anywhere with him behind the bench. When it comes to the playoffs i wouldn't worry too much about them they aren't going anywhere but down.

And they way the are treating Fleury is despicable that guy has been the face of the franchise since day 1.

It would be very satisfying to see Vegas burn in hell. Vegas has moved into top spot on my list of teams that i despise and then i would have complete satisfaction if it happened cause i hate that team so damn much.

And this is my final spiel on Pietrangelo. I'm happy that he got what he wanted i wish him and his family well. I've moved on and he is now dead to me.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Phoenix or Houston would be their best bets. They need to move into where the Suns play to succeed in AZ imo.
Moving to downtown Phoenix from their present location in Glendale could be a great thing because so many more people with means would be in much closer proximity to the stadium.

I’m not sure, however, if there is any real space downtown to do it, but I do know that the City of Glendale handled things poorly and the voters turned against those responsible.

The whole development, along with Westgate, has backfired in a big way. It was supposed to be a boon to the local economy, but, instead, backfired.

The Coyotes rink was built the same way that ALL of the other other major pro-league stadiums (in Phoenix) have been built; public money that automatically includes tax breaks.

Glendale made it work with the Cardinals, but that is the NFL, which is way more popular. Besides that, the owners chipped in.

All in all, I think the NHL experiment in the Phoenix suburbs is a miserable failure.

Last edited:

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I love the city of Phoenix. One of my favorites.
You like it here? The winters are amazing in Phoenix and the rest of Arizona is one extreme fun adventure after another.

Lots of places to fall off and die or get eaten by a mountain lion.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
You like it here? The winters are amazing in Phoenix and the rest of Arizona is one extreme fun adventure after another.

Lots of places to fall off and die or get eaten by a mountain lion.

I’ve only been there in the winter :D

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013

Agree with all of this. I find it weird how it took a few weeks for it to gain any traction. I’ll admit I knew nothing about that situation until I read it here prior to the draft. It obviously wasn’t a secret at all to the press and teams. Maybe I missed the groundswell before, but it seems someone put a piece out on what was already broadly known (This kid did a supremely shitty thing and doesn’t seem to feel much regret over it), and then press began to apply pressure.

Reactions: The Note

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I am just glad that Bill Armstrong had nothing to do with it.

But now he has an even bigger hill to climb.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada

My understanding of that is that the kid's mom sent them a letter explaining that the issues didn't stop in 2016 - they continued for 2 years after the court found Miller to be completely devoid of remorse, just upset about the consequences to him.

To this day, the family received no apologies. So he apologized to the clubs before the draft, without having apologized to the family. This showed the Yotes he hasn't grown since the incident came to light...

Additionally, BA had no say in the pick, as part of the contractual agreement to depart the Blues org. So he watched the draft team select a kid that was likely on the "do not draft" list for the Blues and then heard about the continuing problems and had to deal with them.

Reactions: Klank Loves You

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
ESPN is reporting about the players asking for the players to amend the CBA (yes the new one) for the coming year, asking for more deferred income or a larger escrow or both. I was trying to find discussion about this on HF and I don’t see anything. Under the main board or the Business of hockey board, I’m not finding anything. Seems like a big deal, but not much chatter.

Spear

Anonymous source FOR HIRE
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2009
St. Louis, MO
ESPN is reporting about the players asking for the players to amend the CBA (yes the new one) for the coming year, asking for more deferred income or a larger escrow or both. I was trying to find discussion about this on HF and I don’t see anything. Under the main board or the Business of hockey board, I’m not finding anything. Seems like a big deal, but not much chatter.

Sounds like owners are going to feel some serious pain to get this finalized especially due to short window to get something done.

Link to the article: NHLPA 'blindsided' by owners' demands on CBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad