Around The NHL Discussion 2019/20 - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Watching Bergevin attempt to create a Cup contender in Montreal is hilarious.

I can't wait for the impending implosion.

Reactions: mk80

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
A fifth-round pick? That's it? I know the Hurricanes have more defensemen than they know what to do with, but I would have guessed Edmundson was worth a bit more than that...
Well it does replace their own 5th round pick they sent us in the Edmundson-Faulk trade.

Was he really that bad this season in Carolina? I didn't watch much of their games this season but the ones I saw I didn't think he was that bad.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Watching Bergevin attempt to create a Cup contender in Montreal is hilarious.

I can't wait for the impending implosion.
Gotta watch out for their soon to be elite #1C in Nick Suzuki who has a near limitless ceiling, or at least that's what I've heard from Habs fans :laugh:

Was he really that bad this season in Carolina? I didn't watch much of their games this season but the ones I saw I didn't think he was that bad.
From the 10-15 Carolina games I caught this season, he was still the wildly inconsistent guy he was with us. Some nights he'd be a monster, other nights just a complete dumpster fire.

Reactions: Blueston and mk80

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
And if we hadn't made that trade, Edmundson would be walking in a month and we wouldn't have Faulk's contract.
I do think the Blues could have gone out with a whimper in the first round just as easily and for less money with Edmundson. I thought he played decently for Carolina in the postseason. I guess Montreal can afford to pay him more than Carolina figured to.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I know most here hate Dallas, but it’s the closest team to where I live. I’ve been to many games in Dallas and met lots of cool fans. It’s my daughter’s favorite team. If they get to the SCF I’d be happy to see them win. (Though I don’t think they would beat Tampa.)

I can be happy for Pavelski and lots of other Stars players. In some ways, it’s another ‘screw you’ to San Jose if Dallas wins.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
They are wildly different circumstances really.

I doubt that Bjugstad could have been bought out by the Penguins, as that would require him being healthy during the buyout window.

He is constantly injured, having had a few major surgeries in the last year, and was owed $5.25m in salary next season. Whoever is acquiring him isn't even sure how much he'll play, never mind how effective he would be.

If Bjugstad had been a UFA this summer? I don't see any way he gets as much as $2m on a one year deal, ignoring the fact that the Wild are actually paying over $2.6m in salary. I think he'd have been looking at $1.25m max.

Bozak has a higher cap hit, but earns $1m less at $4.25m. He's healthy and a far better centre. Even production wise he's outproduced Bjugstad in terms of PPG in every season but 17/18, where Bjugstad had 6 more points.

If teams are concerned with dollars this season? Bozak at $4.25m salary is a far, far better option than Bjugstad at $2.6m salary. At least with Bozak you know youre getting a player who is likely to contribute.
I wouldn’t argue that Bjugstad is better than Bozak, but I don’t see how the situations are wildly different. Teams know the Pens have to dump salary due to internal cap reasons the same way teams know the Blues have to dump cap to re-sign Petro. Bjugstad only has a year left and even with his injuries, a team could still sell itself on potential upside. And while Bozak is definitely still a useful player, he’s ultimately a 34 year old middle 6 center making 5 million against the cap. I don’t see teams taking on his full cap (even for a year) without something coming along. Ultimately we’ll have to wait and see but I still don’t see a world in which the Blues won’t either have to: retain a good portion of his cap or, send a pick, to move Bozak for nothing in return.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I know most here hate Dallas, but it’s the closest team to where I live. I’ve been to many games in Dallas and met lots of cool fans. It’s my daughter’s favorite team. If they get to the SCF I’d be happy to see them win. (Though I don’t think they would beat Tampa.)

I can be happy for Pavelski and lots of other Stars players. In some ways, it’s another ‘screw you’ to San Jose if Dallas wins.
Dallas vet players does deserve a Cup.

Reactions: Blueston

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Not sure I understand the hate for Benn.

When the Blues play against him I get it, but now as a 3rd party I don't see him any differently than say....Reaves....

Yes, you heard it. Reaves is out there running his mouth and causing mayhem. Benn does much of the same.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

When the Blues play against him I get it, but now as a 3rd party I don't see him any differently than say....Reaves....

Yes, you heard it. Reaves is out there running his mouth and causing mayhem. Benn does much of the same.
I think there is difference. Benn is dirty and Reaves just play hard. Ofc that recent Reaves hit was horrendous, but I cant remember when last time he would try to hurt opponent player. Same goes with Perry, who purposely try to hurt opponent players.

I try to find player who was dirty on Blues. I can come up couple names. Edmundson who hit dirty hit on Dunn at training camp. Or Bortuzzo who somethimes play extra hard.

I think great example of play hard, but respectful was Jackman.

Last edited:
Reactions: Note fan in Big D

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

Reaves is an idiot. But he played for the Blues so people here still have their blinders on about him.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Dallas to the SCF
Surprised since they weren’t playing well at break and looked bad in prelim round, but on the other hand not surprised. They gave us so much trouble last year. Colorado is flashier but Stars have always been built more for playoffs than Avs.

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
Surprised since they weren’t playing well at break and looked bad in prelim round, but on the other hand not surprised. They gave us so much trouble last year. Colorado is flashier but Stars have always been built more for playoffs than Avs.
It really makes you wonder how differently it would have played out if we faced Calgary instead if Vancouver lmao.

But seriously I am happy for them and I'd much rather see them in the Final than Vegas

Reactions: Blueston

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Weird to see Dallas go to the Cup but I’m not sad to see Vegas knocked out. They need to go through some pain before they win.

And Tampa is going to be the Champs anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad