Around The NHL Discussion 2019/20 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I think the lottery is working perfectly. The train wreck teams aren't getting the #1 picks. There isn't a reward for tanking...but you still get a quality player.

So Vancouver dropping 3 spots in the draft standings every single year is somehow the signs of the system working?

Colorado had their starter out for the 2016-17 disaster season and dropped 3 spots.

Detroit is pretty clearly needing a new goalie, but they're also burdened by several overpaid and underperforming players like Nielsen, Abdelkader, DeKeyser, Ericsson, Helm and Daley. Is it tanking when your best goalie is Johnathan f***ing Bernier? Their blue line is basically rookies, 36 year olds who have lost a step and #7s... And, they were near the cap ceiling... They've got 11 guys under contract next year and 36M in cap - I'll buy its deliberate tanking if nothing is done to address the goaltending and blue line over the summer beyond hoping that Seider is ready for significant minutes.

Edit : Buffalo with the O'Reilly trade and expectations Mittelstadt would be the 2C... I can see that as deliberate tanking - but, they were also one of the hottest teams through October and November for the past 2 seasons before crashing and burning. And, they made some attempts to improve the blue line and add talent on the wings. Sheary and Vessey just never really panned out.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
So Vancouver dropping 3 spots in the draft standings every single year is somehow the signs of the system working?

Colorado had their starter out for the 2016-17 disaster season and dropped 3 spots.

Detroit is pretty clearly needing a new goalie, but they're also burdened by several overpaid and underperforming players like Nielsen, Abdelkader, DeKeyser, Ericsson, Helm and Daley. Is it tanking when your best goalie is Johnathan f***ing Bernier? Their blue line is basically rookies, 36 year olds who have lost a step and #7s... And, they were near the cap ceiling... They've got 11 guys under contract next year and 36M in cap - I'll buy its deliberate tanking if nothing is done to address the goaltending and blue line over the summer beyond hoping that Seider is ready for significant minutes.

Edit : Buffalo with the O'Reilly trade and expectations Mittelstadt would be the 2C... I can see that as deliberate tanking - but, they were also one of the hottest teams through October and November for the past 2 seasons before crashing and burning. And, they made some attempts to improve the blue line and add talent on the wings. Sheary and Vessey just never really panned out.
If you build a team as bad as Detroit, no, I don’t think that should be rewarded. I’m not even talking about deliberately losing. There were a lot of bad choices and deferred costs coming due to put them in this situation. But having that many bad contracts, etc, I think you have to manage your way out of it. I’m happy to see the best talent in the league (#1 picks) not automatically doomed to the biggest tire fire.

I don’t understand the comment about Vancouver. What’s special about them?

Reactions: bluesXwinXtheXcup

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
If you build a team as bad as Detroit, no, I don’t think that should be rewarded. I’m not even talking about deliberately losing. There were a lot of bad choices and deferred costs coming due to put them in this situation. But having that many bad contracts, etc, I think you have to manage your way out of it. I’m happy to see the best talent in the league (#1 picks) not automatically doomed to the biggest tire fire.

I don’t understand the comment about Vancouver. What’s special about them?
Vancouver fans have been complaining because they’ve either been directly jumped or pushed down due to some lower jumping up every year since the redid the lottery a few years back

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Vancouver fans have been complaining because they’ve either been directly jumped or pushed down due to some lower jumping up every year since the redid the lottery a few years back
That can only happen if the team is mediocre. If Vancouver had a good season in there, the lottery winners would already be picking before them.

Reactions: bluesXwinXtheXcup

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
That can only happen if the team is mediocre. If Vancouver had a good season in there, the lottery winners would already be picking before them.
And a team Vancouver shouldn’t really complain because while they’ve missed out on top picks, they managed to turn that into Pettersson, Hughes, and Podkolzin. So they of all teams should know that while OT sucks, there’s still talent to be had outside of the top 3

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
With lots of talk about the lottery, I've also been looking into a lot of "redrafts" for different years and how things could have turned out. It's interesting how the Blues have built their team. Most teams need multiple top 5 picks to build their roster into a Cup contender because their drafting is average at best.

For us, the only top 5 pick we drafted that we won the Cup with was Pietrangelo. However we found other ways to acquire top-tier talent. Trading for Bouwmeester and Schenn who were drafted by Florida and LA in the top 5.

Another thing I've noticed is how many of our guys would move way up if redrafts were done. Tarasenko is a top 5 pick if you redo 2010. Parayko is top 5 if you redo 2012. O'Reilly and Perron may even be there, or at least close to it, in their drafts in 2009 and 2007 respectively. I think you would be hard pressed to find many other teams that would have this many examples.

We may not have 1 or 2 huge stars since our team is more about depth but this does go to show just how much talent this roster has. The front office has done an amazing job in not only drafting but finding good players that don't cost the farm to trade for.

Last edited:

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
With lots of talk about the lottery, I've also been looking into a lot of "redrafts" for different years and how things could have turned out. It's interesting how the Blues have built their team. Most teams need multiple top 5 picks to build their roster into a Cup contender because their drafting is average at best.

For us, the only top 5 pick we drafted that we won the Cup with was Pietrangelo. However we found other ways to acquire top-tier talent. Trading for Bouwmeester and Schenn who were drafted by Florida and LA in the top 5.

Another thing I've noticed is how many of our guys would move way up if redrafts were done. Tarasenko is a top 5 pick if you redo 2010. Parayko is top 5 if you redo 2012. O'Reilly and Perron may even be there, or at least close to it, in their drafts in 2009 and 2007 respectively.

We may not have 1 or 2 huge stars since our team is more about depth but this does go to show just how much talent this roster still has. The front office has done an amazing job in not only drafting but finding good players that don't cost the farm to trade for.

A large portion of that can be attributed to the success of our amateur scouting department. Many of the successful teams are finding late round gems that most of the league has passed up on.

Or the team develops their prospects properly and doesn't rush then into the lineup. That's becoming more common as prospects league wide are given another few seasons in overseas leagues like the SHL before coniover to play in the AHL and then finally the NHL 3 seasons after being drafted. Or even given an overage season or two in juniors before being given full time roles with their NHL team.

I mean Parayko was picked in the 3rd round. Everyone passed on him twice and most teams passed on him a 3rd time. He was the 28th dman taken in the 2012 draft. That's a huge find for the Blues, especially after wiffing on Jordan Schmaltz with our first round pick and Sam Kurker with our 2nd... Mac Mac was our early 3rd round pick. Parayko was our 4th pick in the 2012 draft - arguably one of only 2 impact pieces we drafted from 2011-2013 with 20 selections, Jordan Binnington at 88 in 2011 being the other. Honourable mention to Joel Edmundson at 46 in 2011, but he was not a key cog in our cup run.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I do like the logos for Seattle. Both are solid enough.

But the name just sounds dorky. I also wished that they would go for emerald-green as the base color for the jerseys instead of that light-blue. Personal opinion, I know, but I think a green base with silver logos would have looked more professional. As it stands, the jerseys look amateur-ish.

On the whole, I feel like the best praise I could give is, "it could have been worse". Not bad, but lacking.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I really like the shoulder patches and the colors, but the main crest is pretty bad IMO. The name is awful, too. It just sounds like something a minor league baseball team would name themselves to draw some attention. Very gimmicky.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Who will be their Fleury? As in, which player with some name recognition is going to be exposed in the draft, that they can use as their 1st pick and for press duty?

Spear

Anonymous source FOR HIRE
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Kraken, meh....

my preference was for Sasquatch. Imagine the logo options! Could've played games at the Yeti Center with chants of "Let's go Squatch, Let's go Squatch"... would've been beautiful

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
A large portion of that can be attributed to the success of our amateur scouting department. Many of the successful teams are finding late round gems that most of the league has passed up on.

Or the team develops their prospects properly and doesn't rush then into the lineup. That's becoming more common as prospects league wide are given another few seasons in overseas leagues like the SHL before coniover to play in the AHL and then finally the NHL 3 seasons after being drafted. Or even given an overage season or two in juniors before being given full time roles with their NHL team.

I mean Parayko was picked in the 3rd round. Everyone passed on him twice and most teams passed on him a 3rd time. He was the 28th dman taken in the 2012 draft. That's a huge find for the Blues, especially after wiffing on Jordan Schmaltz with our first round pick and Sam Kurker with our 2nd... Mac Mac was our early 3rd round pick. Parayko was our 4th pick in the 2012 draft - arguably one of only 2 impact pieces we drafted from 2011-2013 with 20 selections, Jordan Binnington at 88 in 2011 being the other. Honourable mention to Joel Edmundson at 46 in 2011, but he was not a key cog in our cup run.

If we want to be even more precise, Parayko was passed over 9 times given he was an over-ager in 2012. He could have been selected in the 2011 draft.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Who you got for the Cup Final matchup? I’m going with Bolts versus Knights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad