Around The NHL Discussion 2019/20 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I apologize if this should be in the OT thread, but my hatred for Melnyk just went up a few notches if what's been reported is true.

I hope the league does something for the sake of all Ottawa fans.
So many scummy charities out there.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
So many scummy charities out there.
Oh I know.

But conducting a gala to raise money for a charity only to give .5% of the total money earned to said charity has to be pretty high up on the scum list. Like that's only a couple steps below closing down the orphanage to use the real estate... which knowing Melnyk, he would probably do that.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Melnyk would have done well to distance himself from the team at least publicly. He’s a PR nightmare, even if there is some more innocent explanation for the charity finances. I’m skeptical.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
When you've got two guys saying the same things ~2 years apart, something is rotten from an organizational standpoint. Reading the article in The Athletic about the Pegulas, I wouldn't be surprised if they continue to spin their wheels. I don't revel in it, but the similarity to the sentiments ROR expressed has gotta be concerning for Sabres fans.
Dont forget they also made berglund depressed and quit hockey.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Oh I know.

But conducting a gala to raise money for a charity only to give .5% of the total money earned to said charity has to be pretty high up on the scum list. Like that's only a couple steps below closing down the orphanage to use the real estate... which knowing Melnyk, he would probably do that.
I raised over $4000 to go on a bike ride from Minneapolis to Chicago sponsored by Palotta Teamworks along with almost 2000 other individuals.

It was for a worthy cause (money for those suffering from AIDS-related symptoms), but the sponsor gave only 35% to the targeted communities.

And this wasn’t the only ride. There were at least 5 or 6 others around the country and one in Africa over the course of at least 6 years.

Imagine the millions of dollars siphoned off.

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
Botterill fired and several others.

Must of heard the Blues offer for Eichel and they fired him before Botterill could accept it.

Rumor was the Blues offered Steen, Bozak, Gunnar, Allen, prospect, & 1st.

Reactions: brokeu91

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
Well...they have similar point rates, but Hossa made 5 Finals appearances with 3 Cups.

So, there’s that.
True, but is it Tkachuks fault that he wasn’t on teams as good as those Blackhawks teams? I think Fleury is another player that deserves some love considering the other players who got in. I mean Kevin Lowe?

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
True, but is it Tkachuks fault that he wasn’t on teams as good as those Blackhawks teams? I think Fleury is another player that deserves some love considering the other players who got in. I mean Kevin Lowe?

The fact of the matter is -and I’m not saying I agree with it- that cups clearly matter to the HHoF voters. It’s literally the only way to explain Lowe’s inclusion. Just wait until they put Brent f***ing Seabrook in because he was a “glue guy and real winner”.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
The fact of the matter is -and I’m not saying I agree with it- that cups clearly matter to the HHoF voters. It’s literally the only way to explain Lowe’s inclusion. Just wait until they put Brent f***ing Seabrook in because he was a “glue guy and real winner”.
This

Good bad right or wrong.

This is what, often, differentiates players.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Although, maybe teams prefer Bozak/Allen as they are just 1 year deals, but I imagine it'll be easy to find good deals on the free agent market.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I blame Chiarelli, it's got to be his fault. I mean, he's Peter Chiarelli.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Yikes. Big trouble for us. Cap could stay around 81.5M for the next 3 seasons. That Faulk extension could very well cost us Petro.

NHL/NHLPA talks on CBA include escrow cap, salary deferral for players - Sportsnet.ca
If that happens Faulk will become the next Eric Brewer. I almost feel sorry for him. I think there are going to be some painful decisions to make. We stand a very good chance of losing Schwartz. Binnington, Thomas, and Parayko all have raises coming within that time frame too.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If that happens Faulk will become the next Eric Brewer. I almost feel sorry for him. I think there are going to be some painful decisions to make. We stand a very good chance of losing Schwartz. Binnington, Thomas, and Parayko all have raises coming within that time frame too.
Yeah, it's going to be interesting to see how teams react. If we had a little bit more cap space, I'd think that Petro would be a guarantee at this point. If free agents value term more this summer, I could see Allen and Bozak having trade value, where teams wait and see what happens revenue wise. I could also see free agents having to take discounts and teams going that route.

If 81.5 is going to stay stagnant for awhile, then I wonder if there will be discussions on buyouts or rollbacks or something because the free agent classes the next couple years will be crushed.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
There is an interesting interview of Faulk by JR in the Athletic. It sounds like there was very little discussion about what his role would be, and that due to the circumstances we came into the year willing to take whatever role the team asked of him. It enumerates his many partners and changing roles.

I wish we would see the interview with Doug Armstrong where he says what his vision was for Faulk’s role as he was offering the extension. If it has anything to do with a contingency for Pietro, we may never learn the whole story.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
There is an interesting interview of Faulk by JR in the Athletic. It sounds like there was very little discussion about what his role would be, and that due to the circumstances we came into the year willing to take whatever role the team asked of him. It enumerates his many partners and changing roles.

I wish we would see the interview with Doug Armstrong where he says what his vision was for Faulk’s role as he was offering the extension. If it has anything to do with a contingency for Pietro, we may never learn the whole story.
I think it's definitely possible that Army had no intention of paying 9+ for Petro and decided that Parayko would take over as the #1 and Faulk would be the #2.

Why would Army paint himself into a corner like he did? Why did he get Faulk and Schenn done before Petro? Scandella too, although that one is a little different. The signs are there.

Reactions: MissouriMook

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
If you are in Pietro’s UFA class, you are probably not thrilled with the timing of your entry into the market with respect to the projected cap stagnation and pandemic effects.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
If you are in Pietro’s UFA class, you are probably not thrilled with the timing of your entry into the market with respect to the projected cap stagnation and pandemic effects.
Maybe he should have signed when he had the chance? He may have priced himself out of market through his intransigence.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Maybe he should have signed when he had the chance? He may have priced himself out of market through his intransigence.
Guys like Petro and Hall will get paid, they just might have to settle on destination or maybe take a short-term deal and then go long-term on Jan 1. It's the guys a little further down the list that are going to lose out. A TJ Brodie, a Sami Vatanen, Mikael Granlund, etc.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Guys like Petro and Hall will get paid, they just might have to settle on destination or maybe take a short-term deal and then go long-term on Jan 1. It's the guys a little further down the list that are going to lose out. A TJ Brodie, a Sami Vatanen, Mikael Granlund, etc.
Perhaps, but will it be in market he wants to play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad