Around The NHL Discussion 2019/20 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Intransigence seems harsh when we don’t know the details of what he was offered.
If he had truly wanted to sign, he would have. Schenn did. Faulk did. Scandella did. He wanted more $. It's his right to do so but Blues have spent all their $. Maybe we can move guys out to create space, but no guarantees. I hope Petro enjoys playing in Florida or Buffalo or wherever he lands. He seems to be following his buddy Backes' path to happiness.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
If he had truly wanted to sign, he would have. Schenn did. Faulk did. Scandella did. He wanted more $. It's his right to do so but Blues have spent all their $. Maybe we can move guys out to create space, but no guarantees. I hope Petro enjoys playing in Florida or Buffalo or wherever he lands. He seems to be following his buddy Backes' path to happiness.
You think Armstrong took his offer off the table?

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
You think Armstrong took his offer off the table?
Not so much that he took offer off the table as the table got cut down. I'm sure Army would love to sign Petro at the right price but that is only possible if he can move other guys. Now that cap will be flat, he has to move more $ in an environment that will be less conducive to moving $. Not saying can't happen, but realistically Petro gambled and if he wanted to stay in St. Louis he misplayed his hand. Maybe it all works out, maybe not. Or maybe he will really enjoy playing without any fans and that will make him feel better about signing with Panthers.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
This will be a very interesting offseason. There are a lot of teams that will lose good players because of the cap.

And like it’s been said, the upcoming UFAs may be hurt more by this than the teams will.

I really don’t know what’s going to happen with Petro. It hurts him too because there will probably be less bidders, but the key for me is that there will also be less bidders for guys like Bozak and Allen on the trade market. It’s gonna be a tough sell to get teams to want to pay their salaries even if we retained a bit. So that might be the reason Petro leaves because it would take a lot of creativity from DA.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
In other NHL news, here's the summary of tonight's draft lottery

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
That is absolutely hilarious. I will find it less hilarious when Chicago wins it, but still.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
That is absolutely hilarious. I will find it less hilarious when Chicago wins it, but still.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
No Chicago and no penguins please.

god, just think how nicely the blues could be sitting with no Faulk contract and the news of a possible stagnant cap for 3 years... barf

Reactions: BlueDream

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Gotta be Edmonton again, right? As long as it’s not Chicago I don’t care. Pretty exciting time when there are still 16 teams that could either win the Cup or the first overall pick.

Reactions: bluesXwinXtheXcup

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
I just love how Detroit never had a problem with the lottery/draft system while they were winning cups all the time but now have an issue with it.

edit: that being said....I’d be pissed too lol

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I just love how Detroit never had a problem with the lottery/draft system while they were winning cups all the time but now have an issue with it.

edit: that being said....I’d be pissed too lol

Well the draft lottery has changed drastically too... It's hardly recognizable from its origins.

Pre 2012 if you won the lottery, you moved up 4 spots in the draft order.

As of 2012 any non playoff team could win the 1st overall pick.

As of 2016 any non playoff team can move up to claim the first 3 overall picks, meaning the worst team could draft 4th overall... Coincidentally, the first year the Red Wings miss the playoffs in 25 years.

I mean, Vancouver bitched about the revised system for years. Colorado got cheated in their mear historical season in 2016-17. And Buffalo has been getting shafted by the lottery for years too.

Now Detroit posts another near historic disaster of a season, and also miss out on a top 3 pick... I understand the frustration. And love the irony.

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016
So can someone enlighten me on Free Agency this year? Sorry if it has been stated before but haven’t had much time to check in here last few months.

July 1st is the normal day, has it been moved back this year?

Just wondering how the playoffs happening after free agency even works? If Petro signs with a different team will he play with us for the playoffs? That seems extremely odd but haven’t seen any news on how they are going to handle this.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
So can someone enlighten me on Free Agency this year? Sorry if it has been stated before but haven’t had much time to check in here last few months.

July 1st is the normal day, has it been moved back this year?

Just wondering how the playoffs happening after free agency even works? If Petro signs with a different team will he play with us for the playoffs? That seems extremely odd but haven’t seen any news on how they are going to handle this.
Everything is pushed back. Free agency will probably be somewhere around late October or early November.

Reactions: A Real Barn Burner

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Interesting that you say that. I have a gut feeling that if Pietrangelo doesn't stay here, he ends up in Boston.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
More reading between the lines; Pietrangelo seems to be really gung ho about having the playoffs soon. Maybe it's because he knows it's his last hurrah in St, Louis?
FreeAnyIndianelephant-size_restricted.gif

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Well the draft lottery has changed drastically too... It's hardly recognizable from its origins.

Pre 2012 if you won the lottery, you moved up 4 spots in the draft order.

As of 2012 any non playoff team could win the 1st overall pick.

As of 2016 any non playoff team can move up to claim the first 3 overall picks, meaning the worst team could draft 4th overall... Coincidentally, the first year the Red Wings miss the playoffs in 25 years.

I mean, Vancouver bitched about the revised system for years. Colorado got cheated in their mear historical season in 2016-17. And Buffalo has been getting shafted by the lottery for years too.

Now Detroit posts another near historic disaster of a season, and also miss out on a top 3 pick... I understand the frustration. And love the irony.
I think the lottery is working perfectly. The train wreck teams aren't getting the #1 picks. There isn't a reward for tanking...but you still get a quality player.

Reactions: bluesXwinXtheXcup

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
More reading between the lines; Pietrangelo seems to be really gung ho about having the playoffs soon. Maybe it's because he knows it's his last hurrah in St, Louis?
FreeAnyIndianelephant-size_restricted.gif
You're right! He probably is looking forward to going out fast to try to get to UFA status even sooner. (I think the whole team is probably looking forward to playing, to having a chance to defend their throne, and likes their chances of repeating.)

Reactions: Klank Loves You
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad