Around The NHL Discussion 2019/20 - Part III

Discussion in 'St. Louis Blues' started by EastonBlues22, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Bobby Orrtuzzo Ya know

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I have a friend who works for Costco in Denver (he worked at the Manchester one here before moving there) and he was telling me they had a two day span of sales being over a million dollars each day. He said a normal day at his store is like 500-600k.

2. AjaxManifesto Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Optimist In Training
    Humans are not far removed from chimpanzees.

Rich, poor, educated, street-smart, privileged, destitute...in the end it just doesn't matter. When times get tough we see the true nature of individual people...their circumstances and socio-economic place in life stripped away.

I've seen rich / educated people do panicky and stupid things in a crisis while poor and minimally educated people just roll with it.

So when I see a riot at the Costco over TP, I always remind myself that somewhere a billionaire is panicking and telling his staff to load up the private jet, the yacht, and the fallout bunker in Idaho with as much TP as the staff peons can find.

Meatball and Mud the ACAS like this.
  3. Mud the ACAS St. Louis Blues: 2019 Stanley Cup Champions

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Actuary
    Updates from around here

Wal-Mart: last night, was apparently picked largely clean of anything not snack cakes, candy, or frozen broccoli. Parking lot appeared largely packed both times we went by.

Pick 'N Save: same story. Not sure how picked clean it was last night, but both area stores had nearly full parking lots.

Menards: lots of activity, but lots of people picking up construction-related stuff. Disinfectants and hand sanitizers are long gone; all-purpose sprays and similar items in the same area were basically full. Again, showing how people aren't thinking logically. Grocery area was actually fairly well stocked, not a ton of traffic. More bottled water than I expected, though I did see someone try to cart off 6 cases of bottled water and 4 cases of paper towels. (They got stopped at the register and limited to 2 and 1.) If you wanted 4-5 gallon jugs of water, there were plenty there. (Insert your own comment about people being lazy.) Propane exchange was busy.

mk80 likes this.
  4. tfriede2 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    More importantly, what did the beer situation look like? Kidding aside, grocery stores are one of the few businesses that might need to hire more people because of this.

5. Mud the ACAS St. Louis Blues: 2019 Stanley Cup Champions

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Actuary
    Alcohol looks exceptionally good (as usual), and I'd say "no one should worry about that, everything is going to be fine" until someone shot me this:

Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board closing stores in 4 counties starting March 17

What I am seeing is places open 24 hours go to closing overnight so that they can get re-stocked. Because, you know, people can't stop and ask themselves "do I really need 72 rolls of toilet paper for the next 30 days?" or "am I really going to eat 6 cases of vegetables in the next 30 days?" and on and on and on.

mike1320 and mk80 like this.
  6. tfriede2 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I have 6 rolls and am hesitant to buy some because I don’t want to look like I’m hoarding.

7. Mud the ACAS St. Louis Blues: 2019 Stanley Cup Champions

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Actuary
    We bought 2 cases (30-pack from Costco) 2 weeks ago; looked like a normal purchase, no one batted an eye. I've got 5 bathrooms (1 basement, 2 main level, 2 upper level) and we've always got a 6-pack in every bathroom and then at least case in reserve on two of the floors - and we were down to a couple unused 6-packs and a few free rolls in each bathroom. Did we need 2 cases? No, not for the next 14 days (see note below) but once we're through the final case I tend to get two so we're back to not needing anything for a little while. So again, normal purchase for us; no big deal.

We bought a large bottle of all-purpose spray from Target on Tuesday; We had just finished off the last refill, needed one to replace it and we can refill our bottle about 3 times with it. So again, normal purchase. It brought stares from people who you could tell were trying to figure out what we knew that they didn't, and they went toward that aisle and started grabbing for no other reason than I saw someone else who had it, so clearly I need it too. That bottle will last us a solid 6 months even with moderate use, and I saw people throwing 4 into their cart.

There's a picture out explaining that for a family of 4 to go through a case of TP over 14 days, they need to have like 45.5 shits a day and use 20 squares every time - and people are buying 3, 4 cases at a time. It's that kind of lack of awareness that's driving some of this stuff.

If you need TP and you'd normally get a 24-pack, go get it. Anyone death stares at you, tell them to f.o.

mike1320 likes this.
  8. Brockon Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    So still nothing from my buddy's dad - I found out he's in the process of travelling home from a business trip to Spain - so he's likely dealing with a 2 week quarantine. Not likely getting any info from the top of the food chain.

I came across this post on Facebook from a buddy - which I'm redacting remove some unrelated complaints and his understandable, but excessive swearing.

"also i find out i get laid off from my site because they dont need a third medic on site they crewed down to their skeleton crews. oil field is going undsr because oil prices are in the shitter."

So given that he's a guy on the ground, that's got to be taken with a few grains of salt - they would never say anything shutting down due to low oil prices to the front-line workers. But, they are reducing crew sizes considerably to the point WorkSafe will tolerate only have 2 industrial medics on site in a risk sensitive position operating in a remote area.

Meaning they're reducing the number of employees to 51-200 on site per shift. Otherwise they need 2 industrial medics onsite per shift.

9. Celtic Note Living the dream

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I am sure medics will be needed elsewhere, assuming the skills are transferable

10. Vollie27 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Our company is shut down until about the end on April. I'm doing some work from home. I'm not sure if I'll have a job to go back too. I'll feel bad for the for everyone.

11. mk80 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Hockey Play-by-play
  12. Ranksu Crotch Academy ftw

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I don't see we're safe until there is mass vaccine. I don't believe we'll see any sport major leagues continue this year. Maybe play short regular season and playoffs start of early 2021.

But, everything will be revealed when China opens quarantine and virus comes back there and what will happend.

13. simon IC HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Just thinking, if the season does end up being cancelled, Arizona got screwed on the Taylor Hall deal.

Celtic Note and mk80 like this.
  14. mk80 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Hockey Play-by-play
    Another reason to be glad we had a quiet trade deadline.

simon IC likes this.
  15. ChicagoBlues Stop Believing Fake Emergencies

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Finance
    Deleted post

posted elsewhere

16. Stealth JD Simply the Best! Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
  17. Ranksu Crotch Academy ftw

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
  18. MissouriMook Still just a Mook among men Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    For those with a subscription to The Athletic, Dom is continuing his simulation series with first round playoffs based on the final standings from his remainder of the regular season simulations. Each series will have commentary on the game-to-game results from the two teams' beat writers. Boston-Carolina was covered today, with Boston winning a 7 game series despite falling behind 3-1. Tomorrow will be JR's turn to comment on the Blues-Preds series with Adam Vignan. Interested to see how the series plays out in the simulation, but the Blues are a 65/35 favorite going in.

Stupendous Yappi likes this.
  19. Stupendous Yappi Drop the puck! Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I think a Boston/Carolina series would actually be a pretty good one to watch.

The main page here has a similar ongoing simulation. Boston trails there 0-2 to the Islanders.

MissouriMook likes this.
  20. ezcreepin Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Ladies and gentleman, we got him:

"BREAKING NEWS: Defenseman Marco Scandella has agreed to terms on a new four-year contract extension with the Blues."

21. ezcreepin Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
  22. Stupendous Yappi Drop the puck! Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    He took a pay decrease, but Armstrong gave him 4 years of term. Its seemed like a very good fit, and there were rumors that the team has been interested in him for much longer, not just as a 'best-available' rental. I hope his level of play that we've seen is what we get, because it was more than I'd hoped for. I think he may end up being a bit less than that.

Bouwmeester was winding down, but he had played the best I'd ever seen him during the playoff run. I think he had more serviceable time with Parayko in store.

I think Gunnarsson's spot is the place for Mikkola to break into the line-up. But he'll certainly have to earn it.

Armstrong has been busy! Good for him. I think its wise, and its good to see that agents have been cooperative. If they do end up restarting the season/playoffs, this break now may prove to be the equivalent of the off-season break. There may not be much of a gap before training camp for the teams that play deep into the playoffs.

23. Stupendous Yappi Drop the puck! Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    He took a pay decrease, but Armstrong gave him 4 years of term. Its seemed like a very good fit, and there were rumors that the team has been interested in him for much longer, not just as a 'best-available' rental. I hope his level of play that we've seen is what we get, because it was more than I'd hoped for. I think he may end up being a bit less than that.

Bouwmeester was winding down, but he had played the best I'd ever seen him during the playoff run. I think he had more serviceable time with Parayko in store.

I think Gunnarsson's spot is the place for Mikkola to break into the line-up. But he'll certainly have to earn it.

Armstrong has been busy! Good for him. I think its wise, and its good to see that agents have been cooperative. If they do end up restarting the season/playoffs, this break now may prove to be the equivalent of the off-season break. There may not be much of a gap before training camp for the teams that play deep into the playoffs.

24. Stupendous Yappi Drop the puck! Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000

25. Note Worthy History Made

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000