Around The NHL Discussion 2019/20 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Armstrong understands the difference between team-controlled years and UFA years. Dubas gave contracts to guys that had no leverage to demand what he gave out. He failed to buy UFA years in return for the high AAV. Its mind-boggling, even if you think the guy is elite top 10 in the league.

In Armstrong's case, the only time I can think of where he gave something away like that is the Binnington contract. But that was such a unique situation, and Binnington had earned it. But Armstrong had the leverage in that deal due to RFA status. I think it was a situation where he needed to make reparations to some degree, and to say thankyou.
Yeah, Army's only bad deals is when he tried to get too cute and he signed on upside more than actual performance. Lehtera and Allen. I think he may have gave too much term to Berglund, but that deal clearly wasn't that bad. Agreed with Binnington, better to not worry about saving every penny and just symbolically make him the highest paid goalie on the team, him being at 4.4 and Allen at 4.35 is not a coincidence.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
He failed to buy UFA years in return for the high AAV. Its mind-boggling, even if you think the guy is elite top 10 in the league.
I think that's the most egregious part. Paying Matthews that money is one thing (I think he's very good but overpaid a bit, not as vastly as it seems many feel) but to pay that much money for 5 years that leads him to hitting UFA at 27 is insane. Marner is similar. Hindsight being what it is I almost wonder if they would've been better off sitting out the Tavares sweepstakes.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think that's the most egregious part. Paying Matthews that money is one thing (I think he's very good but overpaid a bit, not as vastly as it seems many feel) but to pay that much money for 5 years that leads him to hitting UFA at 27 is insane. Marner is similar. Hindsight being what it is I almost wonder if they would've been better off sitting out the Tavares sweepstakes.
Tavares will be a mistake for them. They will not be able to fix the defense to be a real Cup contender, especially with Rielly getting a decent raise in a couple years. And for as good as Tavares is, I think he's bad value at his cap hit. In his tier he's not the young superstar like McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, Marner. He's not a Cup winner like Doughty, Kane, Toews, Kopitar. And he isn't scoring like Panarin. He's sort of like Seguin, really good, but tough to build a championship team around since they aren't the truly top players, but are paid like it.

I'd take ROR at his number over Tavares at his, you could probably just argue for ROR over Tavares.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Tavares will be a mistake for them. They will not be able to fix the defense to be a real Cup contender, especially with Rielly getting a decent raise in a couple years. And for as good as Tavares is, I think he's bad value at his cap hit. In his tier he's not the young superstar like McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, Marner. He's not a Cup winner like Doughty, Kane, Toews, Kopitar. And he isn't scoring like Panarin. He's sort of like Seguin, really good, but tough to build a championship team around since they aren't the truly top players, but are paid like it.

I'd take ROR at his number over Tavares at his, you could probably just argue for ROR over Tavares.
I think they got caught up in bringing a GTA kid home and were intent on going for it with Tavares. I get it, to a degree, and I think it was done with the intention of keeping Nylander, Matthews, and Marner on lower AAV for longer than they did. But even still I think Matthews/Marner/Nylander/Kadri (at the time) was plenty of forward skill.

I could certainly see an argument for ROR at 7.5 over Tavares at 11.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Eventually teams will learn that Cup winners in the Cap era do not have multiple of the big contracts, and even if they have a big contract like Ovechkin in Washington, it's not that huge and there are more than a few very team friendly deals to counter it.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Eventually teams will learn that Cup winners in the Cap era do not have multiple of the big contracts, and even if they have a big contract like Ovechkin in Washington, it's not that huge and there are more than a few very team friendly deals to counter it.
Which is why Army has been wise in holding the line on Petro's contract.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
And has a team won a Cup with a disaster of a contract on their books? Teams are already somewhat at a disadvantage when their stars don't take some level of a discount for their team, either some stars did that or they signed before they were worth the giant contracts. Leafs are in a hole when their stars are living up to their deals, but Buffalo has Skinner at 9 and Okposo at 6. You just can't build a winner with that much money tied up in duds.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
When you've got two guys saying the same things ~2 years apart, something is rotten from an organizational standpoint. Reading the article in The Athletic about the Pegulas, I wouldn't be surprised if they continue to spin their wheels. I don't revel in it, but the similarity to the sentiments ROR expressed has gotta be concerning for Sabres fans.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014

Get Botts on the phone, Army. What a mess in Buffalo.

So, what do you think?

Schwartz, Bozak, 2020 1st and 2022 3rd for Eichel? I mean, it's a better package than we dealt them the last time we took a center that hates all the losing off of their hands. :laugh:

Reactions: The Note

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I have to say, Eichel has never come across to me as a leader. He’s an excellent player, but I don’t think he’s the right type of personality or maturity level to elevate his teammates.

I sympathize with his frustration, but I think that team needs some veteran leadership to instill a winning ethic. But they’ve been going backwards in that regard.

Reactions: MissouriMook

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I have to say, Eichel has never come across to me as a leader. He’s an excellent player, but I don’t think he’s the right type of personality or maturity level to elevate his teammates.

I sympathize with his frustration, but I think that team needs some veteran leadership to instill a winning ethic. But they’ve been going backwards in that regard.
Some like, oh I don't know, ROR? :laugh:

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
So, what do you think?

Schwartz, Bozak, 2020 1st and 2022 3rd for Eichel? I mean, it's a better package than we dealt them the last time we took a center that hates all the losing off of their hands. :laugh:
Swap out Schwartz and put Faulk in, makes it much more in line with the ROR package :naughty:

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
trade bozak, steen and a 1st round pick for eichel. then have steen resign with us after sabres buy him out.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
And it's not just Eichel, either. Rasmus Ristolainen has expressed his displeasure more than once with the Sabres. I believe he will be moved this offseason.

Thanking our lucky stars that we were able to capitalize off of that dumpster fire.

Reactions: Bobby Orrtuzzo

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It's an interesting situation. What's the solution to organizations with bad cultures. Can players that are good leaders actually make that fix internally or is the problem usually bigger than what the players can fix. Clearly O'Reilly is a good leader here, was the situation just that bad for him to have good influence over there? Were we like that at times in the past?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
It's an interesting situation. What's the solution to organizations with bad cultures. Can players that are good leaders actually make that fix internally or is the problem usually bigger than what the players can fix. Clearly O'Reilly is a good leader here, was the situation just that bad for him to have good influence over there? Were we like that at times in the past?
I think the culture of sports organizations is one of the more fascinating aspects. It really goes to show that winning goes way beyond just having talented players. Coaching, front office, ownership, alumni, fans, they all play a huge part.

I’ve actually been thinking about the Blues’ culture a lot lately and how lucky we are. I know we all complained a lot during the Cup drought, but the Blues have always been a consistently competitive team that makes the playoffs 90% of the time since they entered the league. This really can’t be overlooked.

I think there’s a few reasons for this too. Obviously you need the right personnel in place including GM, coach, etc. But the Blues have such a strong passionate fanbase and alumni group that demand hard work. When you put on the Blue Note, you don’t want to disappoint the guys like Plager, Federko, MacInnis, Jackman and others that put their heart and soul into the team and are still there - watching you every single game. They are still a huge part of the organization and that trickles down to current players. They see those guys around, they see the pictures on the wall, they know they have a lot to live up to.

We all know STL loves their gritty, scrappy players. That’s been true for both baseball and hockey. Buffalo took O’Reilly for granted. In St. Louis, he has been welcomed with open arms and adored because of what he brings to the team. If you work hard and battle your ass off and play the game like O’Reilly does, like Sundqvist does, Schwartz, etc. You will be loved here. If you don’t and the fanbase thinks you’re out there floating, you won’t last long. You will be run out of town.

Look at what happened last year when the team was playing nowhere near expectations:

1. Armstrong basically threatened to blow it all up.

2. Tarasenko apologized to the fans and vented about how unacceptable it was.

3. A fight in practice happened.

Everyone was pissed. And things turned around. Of course with the help of Berube and Binnington coming in but this all played a part.

This organization may have taken a long time to win a Cup, but they still have a winning culture. Losing is just simply not tolerated. Obviously I don’t have as much in-depth knowledge of everything that goes on in other organizations, but from afar, it seems like Buffalo’s attitude is “woe is me”. They feel sorry for themselves. But aside from what Eichel said I’m not seeing a ton of passion that they are truly dedicated to changing anything.

Last edited:

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Do our Blues a courtesy, don't trade them to that crap organization...no matter what. Look what it did to Bergie.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I apologize if this should be in the OT thread, but my hatred for Melnyk just went up a few notches if what's been reported is true.

I hope the league does something for the sake of all Ottawa fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->