Around The NHL Discussion 2019/20 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
The Provorov and Morrissey extensions just fattened Dunn's wallet, methinks.

Dunn will have to take a step forward to use those guys as comparables. Both are much more important to their team than Dunn at this point. They got more minutes than Dunn. 25 and 22.5 vs 17.5. Provorov was a legit first pairing guy given his minutes. They are both much better defensively than Dunn, while still providing similar offensive upside. Provorov had a down year this past year (so did the whole flyers team), but has 40 point season under his belt. Morrissey was on pace for 40 if he hadn't have gotten injured. The Jets falling apart last season coincided exactly with his injury. Morrissey is a glue guy for them in the locker room. Dunn has that potential. I am a big fan, but he really needs to cement himself as a true at worst #3 D to deserve that type of money.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
You have a little over $8.8M tied up in 4 LD for this season. I could see us going into next season with roughly that same amount tied up in Dunn and Eddy, plus the $1.75M for Gunnar and an ELC/league minimum vet to round out the LD. I don't think we're going to see much in the way of cap impairment from dealing with Dunn or any of the LD going into next season.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Jeez...what is that...$40M for Tavares, Matthews, Nylander and Marner?

I’m going to laugh my ass off watching that team get bounced in round one year after year because their depth is shit. The Blues entire top-9 costs that amount!

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn

I’m going to laugh my ass off watching that team get bounced in round one year after year because their depth is ****. The Blues entire top-9 costs that amount!

The core group in Toronto have been given what they want. They’ll either be celebrated by their fans as one of the greatest or hated forever depending on if they win it all. Expectations are through the roof and that factor alone usually doesn’t help.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
That’s the new model. We’re just lucky that we got our core pieces signed before the market went crazy.

I am interested to see if these RFA’s in our division and conference fall right into line, and accept that this is the new market, or if they fight it out into the season before they find a middle ground. I mean, if Marner were a UFA, this would be about right. It wasn’t long ago that this would have been unbelievable for an RFA.

These Toronto kids have broken the old rules, but I don’t know if these other GM’s are just going to accept that they have to follow Dubas’s lead on this, without a fight. I guess we’ll find out in the next 2 weeks or so.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
I loved the off-season the Devils and Rangers had, looking forward to seeing how Hughes and Kakko do in their rookie seasons. Also excited to see Gusev play in the NHL.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada

I’m going to laugh my ass off watching that team get bounced in round one year after year because their depth is ****. The Blues entire top-9 costs that amount!

40.4M that's 49.6% of next year's cap for 4 players (17.4% of a roster).

You've got to think that Toronto's D is in for a serious remodel next summer - with only Rielly signed for 2020-21. I have no idea how they expect to pay the 7 pending RFA/UFA dmen next summer... That's an awful lot riding on Sandin, Liljgren (spelling?) and other dmen being paid near league minimum going forward.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I am interested to see if these RFA’s in our division and conference fall right into line, and accept that this is the new market, or if they fight it out into the season before they find a middle ground. I mean, if Marner were a UFA, this would be about right. It wasn’t long ago that this would have been unbelievable for an RFA.

These Toronto kids have broken the old rules, but I don’t know if these other GM’s are just going to accept that they have to follow Dubas’s lead on this, without a fight. I guess we’ll find out in the next 2 weeks or so.

I really hope that Thomas and our kids pay attention to what having reasonable contracts like our cup team and Tampa's roster allow a GM to do in terms of having quality depth and a team having multiple star players getting above market value do relative to each other in the next few post-seasons...

Because if Thomas, Petro, Parayko, Binny, Schenn and Dunn all get market value, we're going to be in a pretty awkward position in 4-5 years.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I was hoping for a shorter term for Marner. Just so he could be a UFA sooner :D. Somebody should have offer-sheeted him the same AAV for five years.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I really hope that Thomas and our kids pay attention to what having reasonable contracts like our cup team and Tampa's roster allow a GM to do in terms of having quality depth and a team having multiple star players getting above market value do relative to each other in the next few post-seasons...

Because if Thomas, Petro, Parayko, Binny, Schenn and Dunn all get market value, we're going to be in a pretty awkward position in 4-5 years.
Toronto is beyond a shit show.

Market value is not what dumbasses do. Market value, in part, is relative to the local market, meaning Canada-based teams have to overpay now.

Then again, the market is whatever people pay. Like the California housing situation. They overvalued their property and now they are screwed.

Or even CVS. The only reason they are still in business is because there are enough dumbasses out there who will pay their 15-20% mark-ups.

Like PT Barnum famously said, “There’s a sucker born every minute.”

Hopefully the market will correct itself and bogus mechanisms like LTIR will be modified, just like the Hossa-style backloading nonsense and other creative circumventions that occur.

If sensible cap management does not happen, then we are looking at another lockout.

STLegend

Feb 20, 2010
Montanuh
Laine sighting:

GrittyvsLaine.jpg

Attachments

• GritvsLaine.jpg
    GritvsLaine.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 0

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Spurgeon 7×7.575. I'm not sure if I would be happy with that if I were a Wild fan.
The Wild are in the worst spot to be in the NHL — the middle. The longer they try to squeeze blood out of this stone, the worse it’ll be.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I just looked it up, Spurgeon will be 30 in November. This contract ends when he's 37. It's not even front loaded. Now I like it even less. I wonder if it will have an effect on Pietrangelo's negotiations?

Last edited:

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Spurgeon 7×7.575. I'm not sure if I would be happy with that if I were a Wild fan.
How many more years they have Suter and Parise on books? They can’t just blow it up. Spurgeon is perhaps their best player. I think they did well to lock him up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad