Around The NHL Discussion 2019/20 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
The guy I covet from Carolina is Slavin, although I realize it's a pipe dream. I also would be very happy with either Bean or Fleury.

Someone seems to be on the outs in Carolina, but I doubt it it Slavin for the same reason you want him. He is by far their best defensive defenseman, especially on the left. Bean is waiver exempt, so they don't have to trade anyone too good if they keep him down for an injury call-up. If he is in the NHL, they need to make room by moving two D, or carrying 8 and moving out 1.

LD: (1) Slavin, (2) Gardiner, (3) Fleury. (4) Forsling (5) Bean
RD: (1) Hamilton, )2) Faulk, (3) Pesce, (4) Van Reimsdyk

People on the main Board are saying to move Faulk, but that puts a LD or TVR into the starting 6. Moving one of Forsling/TVR and one of Fleury/Bean seems more likely to me. By "moving" I am including the possibility of sending them to the AHL, hoping those eligible clear waivers. What do I know, though? Whatever they do, that's a good D core there.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014

Would be nice to get Jake Bean or Haydn Fleury.

Would have been nice to have Jake Gardiner at $4M instead of Joel Edmundson at $3M, but I'm not sure where we would have found that additional cap space without giving up our cushion. I think Gardiner is a bit underrated defensively (in the sense that everyone seems to see him as hot garbage) and I think he would have been a good partner for Petro.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Would have been nice to have Jake Gardiner at $4M instead of Joel Edmundson at $3M, but I'm not sure where we would have found that additional cap space without giving up our cushion. I think Gardiner is a bit underrated defensively (in the sense that everyone seems to see him as hot garbage) and I think he would have been a good partner for Petro.
That would have been amazing. Not really sure what we're doing with that Edmundson contract honestly. Players who go to arbitration often don't come back the next year and outside of Dunn we don't have any LHD I'm certain will be in our top 6 to start the 2020-21 season.

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
That would have been amazing. Not really sure what we're doing with that Edmundson contract honestly. Players who go to arbitration often don't come back the next year and outside of Dunn we don't have any LHD I'm certain will be in our top 6 to start the 2020-21 season.
Gardiner would have been a nice way to fill that gap at that price, even if you ended up losing him after 2 seasons to the expansion draft. He wasn't even on my radar as an option because I figured his price was in the $6M-$7M range and more years than I'd want to give a 29 year old.

Reactions: Alklha

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
That Gardiner contract is great. He was terrible in the playoffs in 2018, but that was down to what he was being asked to do. If you're going into the playoffs expecting Gardiner to lead your defense in ice time then you aren't going to do well. This year he wasn't terrible, until Game 7, in his reduced role. With a better D around him then I don't expect him to be a nagative, it's just whether he'll be able to translate regular season production to postseason production. But at $4m for four years? Can't really go very wrong.

Watching the Sibir game just now, Soshnikov has scored to put Ufa 1-0 after the first period. Only his third game and he's already got a couple of goals and assists. Hopefully he can stay healthy over there.

Jaškin is with Dynamo Moscow now... he's leading their forwards in ice time. One assist through 3 games, but he's getting 20+ minutes a game :laugh:

Reactions: Klank Loves You

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Such bad timing for Jaskin.

He’s been with the last two Cup winners, but not at the right time.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Am I bad IF I say I enjoy this drama what Marner and Leafs has? Leaf fans are so pissed.

Leaf board is so :popcorn:

The Yankees of hockey.

There are some benefits with being a fan of a smaller market team like St. Louis. We don't fall into these kind of shenanigans.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Surprised to see (per the Athletic) Brian Boyle still unsigned as camps break around the league. It's a shame that the Blues have no roster spots available, as he'd be a great depth piece who's probably going to end up playing on the cheap somewhere. A $2M deal for a shot at the Cup would be a bargain for what he'd bring...but alas the Blues simply have no spots available unless they start moving pieces for futures.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
Am I bad IF I say I enjoy this drama what Marner and Leafs has? Leaf fans are so pissed.

Leaf board is so :popcorn:

If it’s wrong, I don’t want to be right. I’m so glad all the hockey reporters returned from their summer cottages and started reporting on this.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I was surprised to learn that Binnington had the 7th most popular jersey by sales in the LEAGUE last season. Tarasenko was 8th. If I had known his merchandise impact was so high, I’d have been less surprised he commanded the salary he did. Has there been a goalie ever break into the league so gloriously in modern times? No!

I hope he can follow that season up with something respectable.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Surprised to see (per the Athletic) Brian Boyle still unsigned as camps break around the league. It's a shame that the Blues have no roster spots available, as he'd be a great depth piece who's probably going to end up playing on the cheap somewhere. A $2M deal for a shot at the Cup would be a bargain for what he'd bring...but alas the Blues simply have no spots available unless they start moving pieces for futures.
That is a shame. You know, it used to bother me when guys like this were available and we didn't have cap or roster space for them. I'm in a different place now, where I'm actually glad we don't have a "need" for someone like this. I wonder why that is. :naughty:

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
I was surprised to learn that Binnington had the 7th most popular jersey by sales in the LEAGUE last season. Tarasenko was 8th. If I had known his merchandise impact was so high, I’d have been less surprised he commanded the salary he did. Has there been a goalie ever break into the league so gloriously in modern times? No!

I hope he can follow that season up with something respectable.

He came out of nowhere and the jersey knockoffs hadn't been created yet so people had to buy the real deal just to get his name on their back :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad