Around The NHL Discussion 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
In order to get Stone, we’d likely need Steen to accept a deal to Ottawa, and who knows how likely that is.

They can always trade him and Bouwmeester or Gunnarson to another team in a pre-trade with the Sens. Neither of them will accept a trade to Ottawa but we could also use the assets from those trades to help in a trade with Ottawa. I don't know if I can see it being as more than a rental though because I'm sure he will want a lot next year.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
SIX Assets?!

In seriousness, I can't imagine what could be more demoralizing for a fan base. Imagine if we traded Pietro for scraps, frittered our potential top 5 pick away, and then Tarasenko was set to walk after the season, with an owner who had hinted about relocating the team, and then Bertuzzo interviewed our owner in the old Reebok yellow-piping jersey. And then Schwartz blew his Achilles. (Nope, none of that would be as dire as Ottawa's situation.)

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I legitimately feel sorry for Sens fans at this point.

The disaster tourist in me just checked out the Ottawa board. They already have a "f#ck it, I'm done with the Sens and never want to see them play ever again-topic" ATM. I guess the Ottawa depression hotline is running hot tonight.

Ps. What is Melnyk thinking... It almost feels like he found the selfdestruct button and keeps on banging on it over and over again.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
The disaster tourist in me just checked out the Ottawa board. They already have a "f#ck it, I'm done with the Sens and never want to see them play ever again-topic" ATM. I guess the Ottawa depression hotline is running hot tonight.

Ps. What is Melnyk thinking... It almost feels like he found the selfdestruct button and keeps on banging on it over and over again.
Maybe he’s pulling a Stan Kroenke and intentionally building shitty teams so attendance drops and he can claim that he doesn’t have the support of the city and can beg for relocation.

Reactions: Bobby Orrtuzzo

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Army: "Hey Alex, want to accept a trade to Ottawa?"

Steen: "No, can you give me one reason why I would?"

Army: "...................................................................Magnus Paajarvi is there?"
Army: "You're Canadian right?"

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
And I just found out The Sharks got Erik Karlsson for a package like the one we gave for ROR, I feel gut punched.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
And I just found out The Sharks got Erik Karlsson for a package like the one we gave for ROR, I feel gut punched.
Why? ROR has 5yrs left.....Karlsson has 1. Look at what Pacioretty returned. GMGM could have had Karlsson, but got a declining LW instead

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
For the rediculous package that landed Karlsson it feels like he is hell bent on reaching free agency to see what the market is. If he reaches free agency I hope he signs with a team from the Atlantic division just to piss off Melnyk. Perhaps Buffalo?? They’d have Dahlin and Karlsson,, ooof

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Why? ROR has 5yrs left.....Karlsson has 1. Look at what Pacioretty returned. GMGM could have had Karlsson, but got a declining LW instead
Yeah I’m not sure why anyone would be upset about the ROR trade. I don’t need to go into detail again on why that trade was great for us.

Edmonton gave up Hall for Adam Larson. Those are the types of trades that look even worse because of this Karlsson deal.

LGB51

Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Why? Because it's Erik Karlsson gotten for not much of anything and is now in the west with Burns on the same team. Seems like the why should be obvious.

I'm not upset about the ROR trade I was thrilled, just can't believe a Western rival got Karlsson for the same type of deal.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Why? Because it's Erik Karlsson gotten for not much of anything and is now in the west with Burns on the same team. Seems like the why should be obvious.

I'm not upset about the ROR trade I was thrilled, just can't believe a Western rival got Karlsson for the same type of deal.
Well it's not like the Blues were going to get him. Most of the teams after him were in the West (Vegas, Dallas). Not much we can do there. Ottawa is just run by an idiot.

LGB51

Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Well it's not like the Blues were going to get him. Most of the teams after him were in the West (Vegas, Dallas). Not much we can do there. Ottawa is just run by an idiot.
Sure I get that, doesn't mean it doesn't suck though.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

Well see him 1 more time a year, big deal. Given the contingencies to the deal, Ottawa added stipulations that if the sharks trade him back to the east, they'll cough up more. That says Karlsson long term isnt certian.

Personally, I'd love it if he ends up TB regardless.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
So Upshall failed his physical in Edmonton.

Wonder if his career is coming to an end.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
What did people expect Ottawa was going to get? They had no leverage. Everyone knows they were trying to deal him. I have to assume if someone were offering them elite prospects they would have rather had that, but would you tell them not to deal him if this is best package?

EK is going to be a free agent this year, coming off his worst year, going to want huge money, may not ever be fully healthy again, and they clearly weren't going to pay him market $. As much as it sucks for them, I think they did reasonably well all things considered. Got a good young center (really nice 3C, maybe a 2C), sleeper winger prospect, nice center prospect in Norris (not going to be a 1C, but another 2/3c) and picks. Is that equal value to healthy, signed EK? Obviously not, but the assets are much better than we gave up for ROR who had multiple years remaining. Ottawa's problem isn't they made bad trade today. They screwed themselves with Duchene trade. This was trying to make best of awful situation. I only hope they are not dumb enough to let Duchene or Stone just walk for nothing in a year.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Veneficus

Sep 30, 2014
I'm just envious of how that sharks pp is going to look. Who knows if they click but it sounds so deadly. They were already pretty good on the pp but adding Karlsson is scary. Can't wait for Oct though. I live in Nor cal so I might go to the game in sj

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
What did people expect Ottawa was going to get? They had no leverage. Everyone knows they were trying to deal him. I have to assume if someone were offering them elite prospects they would have rather had that, but would you tell them not to deal him if this is best package?

EK is going to be a free agent this year, coming off his worst year, going to want huge money, may not ever be fully healthy again, and they clearly weren't going to pay him market $. As much as it sucks for them, I think they did reasonably well all things considered. Got a good young center (really nice 3C, maybe a 2C), sleeper winger prospect, nice center prospect in Norris (not going to be a 1C, but another 2/3c) and picks. Is that equal value to healthy, signed EK? Obviously not, but the assets are much better than we gave up for ROR who had multiple years remaining. Ottawa's problem isn't they made bad trade today. They screwed themselves with Duchene trade. This was trying to make best of awful situation. I only hope they are not dumb enough to let Duchene or Stone just walk for nothing in a year.
If you looked at the trade and clauses of the picks, then you could infer from this that they likely had better deals, but Melnyk is a moron and didn't feel like playing Karlsson as many times as they could have. There's a reason why if he's on an eastern conference roster by the end of the year, Ottawa gets another pick. They deliberately traded him to the West, and SJ likely had the "best" offer. I guarantee that a team in the East had a better offer (maybe TB) and because Melnyk is stupid, he decided to nix it. You HAVE to get at least one great/elite prospect for Karlsson, you just have to. Good deal for SJ, really.

Reactions: CaliBlues710
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad