Around The NHL Discussion 2018-2019 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Zucker isn’t a go to guy like a Tarasenko - but he’s a fantastic complimentary player. He would be a great addition to this team.

He’s a 50-60 pt winger with blazing speed and an excellent shot. He also has a very strong work ethic, is excellent on zone entry, and has an underrated defensive game (he’s excellent along the boards and can play a heavy game for a guy his size). If he came cheap or could be offset by us sending some cap back their way, I’d be all over it. I think with a more competent team he could be a 70pt winger and 30+ goal scorer. 5M for a second liner will be cheap in two years time, and I think Zucker has the potential to be a 1W.

I also think that Zucker is far more effective as a RW than a LW, given the way he attacks the ice and prefers to enter the zone on the rush. Early on in his career he was relied upon defensivley. I think here we could allow him to play a more open game and he could flourish playing his off side.
Zucker is not a 50-60 point winger. He had an outlier 64 point season in a contract year, was a 47 point winger the season before, and has been a 40ish point winger at best the rest of his career. If the Wild retained $2M a year he’d be worth the $3.5M that’s left for his regular season play, but that won’t make him suddenly show up in the playoffs.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Zucker is not a 50-60 point winger. He had an outlier 64 point season in a contract year, was a 47 point winger the season before, and has been a 40ish point winger at best the rest of his career. If the Wild retained $2M a year he’d be worth the $3.5M that’s left for his regular season play, but that won’t make him suddenly show up in the playoffs.
Zucker just turned 27 and has been steadily increasing over the past 4 years as he has moved into a top-6 role. 3.5M doesn’t get you anywhere near the player Zucker is. 5.5M is slightly more than Silfverberg is getting and Zucker is younger and a better player.

The “rest of his career” argument is silly. He’s played four years full-time and 2 of those years with top-6 minutes.

Age 24 (bottom-6) - 13/10 23pts
Age 25 (middle-6) - 22/25 47pts
Age 26 (top-6) - 33/31 64pts

He’s now currently on a terrible Minnesota team on pace for 20/20 40pts. He’s being used in a shutdown role with Staal and Aberg, and has started mostly in the DZ. Last year he spent 58% of his starts in the DZ.

If we can find a way to pawn off Steen, he would make an amazing replacement.

Schenn O’Reilly Tarasenko
Schwartz Bozak Zucker
Fabbri Thomas Sundqvist

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
It'd be another punch in the gut of Ottawa fans if the organization drags its feat so long that the only teams who could land a Stone do not wait and end up filling their roster elsewhere. Watching Stone leave for nothing just sounds like a blunder that organization would be capable of.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I wouldn’t have. He’s a 40-point player. Would have been a waste of money.
Yea, I really liked the player but he's one of those that tease you but never really do anything crazy. I honestly didnt know how old he was, always though he was in his mid 20s till recently

Reactions: Blueston

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Katie Strang has an awesome article up at the Athletic:
Is this player a bust? How NHL teams decide when to cut bait...

Really shows the difference between good and bad organizations, of which the Blues would appear to be the former even without a Cup. John Chayka is a robot who's going to outsmart himself out of his GM job. If he keeps giving other team top-line forwards, I wonder what his analytic models would say about his chances of continued employment.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Carter Hart has now been pulled in back to back games. Makes you wonder if Binnington can keep up this level of play.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I'm watching the TOR/WSH game...idk if it's just a bad stretch for the Leafs, but they look worse tonight than they did against the Blues last night.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Carter Hart has now been pulled in back to back games. Makes you wonder if Binnington can keep up this level of play.
Hart is also only 20 years old. It’s almost unheard of for a goalie that young to be in the NHL.

Binnington at least has way more pro experience under his belt from the AHL.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Hart is also only 20 years old. It’s almost unheard of for a goalie that young to be in the NHL.

Binnington at least has way more pro experience under his belt from the AHL.
Obviously the situations aren't identical, but they're more similar than they are different. It feels like Binnington hasn't had an off night yet.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Obviously the situations aren't identical, but they're more similar than they are different. It feels like Binnington hasn't had an off night yet.
He's going to have bad games and runs of bad games. Its how he bounces back that will be key.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
There should be no question that he can't, over the long haul at least. It is the very definition of unsustainable.

That said, virtually anyone can go on a 30 game run of ridiculous (or ridiculously lucky) play, so it's certainly possible that Binnington could stay hot long enough to do some damage into the playoffs. It would make for a great story if he did.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Could Binnington be in the mix for the Calder? (I ask this before watching tonight’s game.)

By "in the mix" do you mean top 3? Or win it?

No chance he will beat out Elias Pettersson for the Calder. Really no chance he'd beat out Rasmus Dahlin for second place. Those are two big names with big production.

But he'd be in the mix for 3rd place. Miro Heiskanen is likely #3 right now although I know Brady Tkachuk will get plenty of votes.

It's possible he works his way into the top 5. It's not a real strong rookie class.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
By "in the mix" do you mean top 3? Or win it?

No chance he will beat out Elias Pettersson for the Calder. Really no chance he'd beat out Rasmus Dahlin for second place. Those are two big names with big production.

But he'd be in the mix for 3rd place. Miro Heiskanen is likely #3 right now although I know Brady Tkachuk will get plenty of votes.

It's possible he works his way into the top 5. It's not a real strong rookie class.
I meant be a nominee and be invited to the award presentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad