Around The NHL Discussion 2018-2019 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
I feel like Nashville is going to make a big splash at the deadline after losing back to back to the Blues.

Maybe for Stone or Duchene.

A playoff series between the two teams could be a reality in two months. The Blues just showed that we are pretty evenly matched with the Predators right now.

Predators are just 20-17-5 since a red hot 13-3-0 start.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I feel like Nashville is going to make a big splash at the deadline after losing back to back to the Blues.

A playoff series between the two teams could be a reality in two months. The Blues just showed that we are pretty evenly matched with the Predators right now.

I was listening to Sirius XM NHL Radio yesterday before the game and they had an "analyst" from Nashville on the show that suggested that they might go after both Stone and Duchene. I'm not sure how they do that with this thing called a salary cap. Of course, during the same conversation this guy mentioned Jarnkrok and Sissons as players that would likely be going the other way in such a deal, but that Nashville would be reluctant to give up both of them. Laughed my ass off at the idea that they could get either of those players, much less both, without giving up Tolvanen and Fabbro. They would also have to give up at least a first for either of those guys or be outbid by another team. Frankly, I think Poile made a big mistake surrendering a 2nd for a 4th liner like Boyle, but I supposed time will tell.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
starting to feel like nashville is at that tipping point.

either add more again and try to get over the hump or accept a team this good is only this good in the regular season and go a different direction in the off season.

Reactions: mk80

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
I was listening to Sirius XM NHL Radio yesterday before the game and they had an "analyst" from Nashville on the show that suggested that they might go after both Stone and Duchene. I'm not sure how they do that with this thing called a salary cap. Of course, during the same conversation this guy mentioned Jarnkrok and Sissons as players that would likely be going the other way in such a deal, but that Nashville would be reluctant to give up both of them. Laughed my ass off at the idea that they could get either of those players, much less both, without giving up Tolvanen and Fabbro. They would also have to give up at least a first for either of those guys or be outbid by another team. Frankly, I think Poile made a big mistake surrendering a 2nd for a 4th liner like Boyle, but I supposed time will tell.

In reality they have the cap space, but they would lose all of their top prospects. Nashville has a very weak prospect pool.

Price for those players are 1st, top prospect, & NHL ready prospect.

So it would be Tolvanen, Fabbro, 1st, & probably a conditional pick if they sign player for either of Panarin, Stone, or Duchene.

So only chance of acquiring both would be dumping young player like Fiala, with several picks, and roster player to make room for the 2 player and I can't see them doing that.

Saros is untouchable

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Sharks have 3 goals before Canucks have a shot. Maybe starting 19 year old goalie wasn’t such a great idea.

Markstrom played 4 games in 6 days, including a back to back. Making him start a 5th game in 8 days isn't exactly a great idea either.

The Canucks got screwed when McKenna was claimed on waivers by Philly when they picked him up as AHL insurance from Ottawa - this is exactly the situation they were trying to avoid.

Gotta feel for the kid, he wasn't ready to be thrown in for the start DiPietro is working through right now.

Reactions: Irish Blues

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Markstrom played 4 games in 6 days, including a back to back. Making him start a 5th game in 8 days isn't exactly a great idea either.

The Canucks got screwed when McKenna was claimed on waivers by Philly when they picked him up as AHL insurance from Ottawa - this is exactly the situation they were trying to avoid.

Gotta feel for the kid, he wasn't ready to be thrown in for the start DiPietro is working through right now.
You'd think they could have either made a deal for a journeyman or signed minor leaguer to avoid potentially stunting DiPietro's development.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013

Agree. They were pretty much there before the series, and Poile has said pretty directly they are considering it. We didn’t make it less likely, to understate things.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
You'd think they could have either made a deal for a journeyman or signed minor leaguer to avoid potentially stunting DiPietro's development.

That's what they were discussing in the intermission - offering Michael Leighton a contract to avoid this with Bachman and Demko out with injuries, McKenna claimed after they traded Nilsson to Ottawa to create room for Demko in the NHL.

Though, with DiPietro being in his 4th year in the OHL, I feel this will show him what he needs to refine in the ECHL/AHL next season as opposed to stunt his growth.

It looks like DiPietro might get the start against LA later this week, then Markstrom can handle their games as long as Demko comes back around their 10 game timeline from his "minor strain".

I suspect Benning will acquire a goalie soon if DiPietro doesn't fare better against LA or Demko is out longer.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I'm just enjoying watching other fan bases squirm after our recent success. They know damn well the Blues waking up is bad news for Cup hopefuls.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013

Well, they definitely are not going to be putting him through this again.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
To still have DiPietro in net after allowing 6 goals on 15 shots is rough... That's a pretty gross intro to the NHL for a 19 year old.
And there's the rub. Markstrom NEEDS the rest and they let themselves get trapped into awful situation.

Reactions: mk80

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Watching the 3rd between the Knights and Dogs.....

Dont f*** around Thursday Blues....

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
The Tampa-Nashville 3 game stretch was huge in terms of validation, but this next 3 game stretch is much bigger in terms of the basics of securing a playoff spot.
It's obviously important to play well against a divisional opponent like Nashville, but I'm more concerned with beating Minny, Colorado, and most important, Arizona. Of those 3, I'm the most scared of Arizona. If you get Keller, Galch, and Stepan heating up at the same time, along with league average goaltending, then you've got a problem on your hands. Their defense ain't bad either.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
The Tampa-Nashville 3 game stretch was huge in terms of validation, but this next 3 game stretch is much bigger in terms of the basics of securing a playoff spot.
The Blues can't win every game. And we're raising the bar for them now. I expect them to sit in the 3rd playoff spot in a week or two, but now we're talking about what they need to do to 'secure' the playoff spot, as in to have it sewn up before the end of the season. Not long ago we were projecting how things would have to go to squeak in on the last day.

If they lose one or two, I'm not going to panic or think their momentum is false. I just want to see continued solid hockey, and for Binnington to convince himself and us that this is just his standard level of play.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
The Blues can't win every game. And we're raising the bar for them now. I expect them to sit in the 3rd playoff spot in a week or two, but now we're talking about what they need to do to 'secure' the playoff spot, as in to have it sewn up before the end of the season. Not long ago we were projecting how things would have to go to squeak in on the last day.

If they lose one or two, I'm not going to panic or think their momentum is false. I just want to see continued solid hockey, and for Binnington to convince himself and us that this is just his standard level of play.

No, not raising the bar or saying they have to win all 3 of them. My point is just that from a mathematical probability standpoint, these are 4 point swings with 3 of the teams I would argue are most likely to bounce us.

It’s the same thing I was saying on Saturday, when people were discussing the idea of starting Binnington Sunday. No, bad idea, because these upcoming games are very high leverage (along with some other reasons).

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I don't really agree with that.

Beating Tampa and Nashville x2 was HUGE in building this team's confidence. Not to mention, Nashville is a big rival that we could very well face in the 1st round. This team now knows they can beat them.

If we lose to Colorado? Honestly, who the heck cares? Means nothing. We're a better team than them and we know it. I doubt they even make the playoffs so I'm really not concerned about them at all anymore.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
Yes, those 3 games are huge in terms of validating where their game is at. These 3 games, on any competent modeling, will have exceptionally high swings in playoff probability for a game in early February.

I didn’t think what I said was all that controversial. It’s essentially looking at the standings and seeing who can ruin our year at this point, but I might not be stating it well.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yes, those 3 games are huge in terms of validating where their game is at. These 3 games, on any competent modeling, will have exceptionally high swings in playoff probability for a game in early February.

I didn’t think what I said was all that controversial. It’s essentially looking at the standings and seeing who can ruin our year at this point, but I might not be stating it well.
Even if Arizona and Colorado beat us, I highly doubt they'll ever pass us in the standings. They're just not very good teams. So yes I of course want to win but I guess we'll have to agree to disagree - I'm not worried about those guys at all.

The Blues have their playoff spot now and I don't think they'll lose it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->