Around The NHL Discussion 2018-2019 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Hoping Anaheim actually wins one against the Canucks tonight.

They're testing the waters with their AHL starter Kevin Boyle, giving him his first career NHL start. He put up decent numbers in relief against Philly after Johnson was pulled allowing 4 goals on 14 shots through the first period. 2 Goals against and a 0.923 save percentage through 40 mins isn't bad for his first time in the crease in the bigs.

I'll be watching, see if it looks like Boyle might get a shot at backing Gibson up next year or if Anaheim is in the market for a backup next season.

Edit: Plus, on a slow NHL night, watching the closest NHL team to my home town is never a bad idea.

Bonus, I also get to watch Bob Murray's NHL coaching debut! Interesting approach as a GM to take over the bench with no prior coaching history, though I'd agree the potential insight gained from the bench about the roster, room attitude and staff could prove invaluable to making successful adjustments in the off-season to turn around a team that shouldn't be this awful.

Last edited:
Reactions: mk80

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
You can tell how the Wild are doing by the color of Bruce’s face, and the Wild are not doing well.

upload_2019-2-15_22-23-12.png

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
It’s hard to say which franchise is in worse shape between Ottawa and Edmonton. Edmonton somehow thinks they’re in a win now mode with horrible upper management and a bad roster. Ottawa is in rebuild mode but traded their possible 1st overall pick.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
It’s hard to say which franchise is in worse shape between Ottawa and Edmonton. Edmonton somehow thinks they’re in a win now mode with horrible upper management and a bad roster. Ottawa is in rebuild mode but traded their possible 1st overall pick.
Edmonton has McDavid. They are a mess and have made horrible decisions, but as long as they have McDavid they have path forward. Ottawa is looking at multiple years where they are worse than now.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Ottawa has a better foundation and potential homerun trades to make.

Edmonton sucks at drafting and have no valuable assets they will move.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Ottawa has a better foundation and potential homerun trades to make.

Edmonton sucks at drafting and have no valuable assets they will move.
How so? Edmonton has McDavid. And also Drai, Klef, RNH, and Nurse. The rest of their roster sucks but they do have their 1st.

Ottawa has Chabot, a couple pending UFAs who apparently don’t want to sign there, a lousy owner, bad arena situation, and Colorado has their 1st.

Edmonton has done lots and lots of dumb things but you give them good GM and they can get turned around in a couple years. Ottawa seems far worse off to me.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
How so? Edmonton has McDavid. And also Drai, Klef, RNH, and Nurse. The rest of their roster sucks but they do have their 1st.

Ottawa has Chabot, a couple pending UFAs who apparently don’t want to sign there, a lousy owner, bad arena situation, and Colorado has their 1st.

Edmonton has done lots and lots of dumb things but you give them good GM and they can get turned around in a couple years. Ottawa seems far worse off to me.
Ottawa has some good young players coming up.

As for Edmonton they've got 3 good forwards and 2 mediocre dman. Maybe it's just playing there but Nurse looks like one of the dumbest dmen I've watched. Great tools, but no toolbox. Maybe i just dont trust them in any manner. It would be smarter to see what Ottawa does though and go from their.

slightly off topic but I'd like to see some Eastern teams swoop in on Duchene and Stone.....like CBJ or CAR.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Ottawa has some good young players coming up.

As for Edmonton they've got 3 good forwards and 2 mediocre dman. Maybe it's just playing there but Nurse looks like one of the dumbest dmen I've watched. Great tools, but no toolbox. Maybe i just dont trust them in any manner. It would be smarter to see what Ottawa does though and go from their.

slightly off topic but I'd like to see some Eastern teams swoop in on Duchene and Stone.....like CBJ or CAR.
I get your lack of confidence in Edmonton but I don’t have any in Ottawa. Other than Chabot, their kids seem more nice than great.

Of the bad Canadian teams I’d say Canucks are only one maybe heading in right direction.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I get your lack of confidence in Edmonton but I don’t have any in Ottawa. Other than Chabot, their kids seem more nice than great.

Of the bad Canadian teams I’d say Canucks are only one maybe heading in right direction.
Ya, I wont go die on the Ottawa hill, they just seem to have a knack for finding talent. Edmonton simply doesn't.

I'd agree with Vancouver. Their defense may become an issue but Boeser, Petterson and Horvat is a stud forward group to build around.

Reactions: Blueston

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Ya, I wont go die on the Ottawa hill, they just seem to have a knack for finding talent. Edmonton simply doesn't.

I'd agree with Vancouver. Their defense may become an issue but Boeser, Petterson and Horvat is a stud forward group to build around.
Ottawa definitely seems better at drafting. Edmonton really needs to nail this GM hire.

Reactions: Dbrownss
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad