OT: Around the NHL - Dallas/Tampa

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Just totally agree again. I can't say it enough. I think for this era of the Caps on the final run (similar to the Pens), this is incredible for the Caps.

And Lavs is the fresh voice, a la Sullivan in 2015 with the Pens.

This is like Philly hiring Chuck Fletcher and his hiring AV or the Isles hiring Devil Lou and his bringing in Trotz.

Do they last forever? Of course not. But first 2-4 years, Lavs, like those other two, is as good as it gets.

EDIT: From a Pens perspective, I will say that Lavs isn't going to coach that AV/Trotz trapping style that is the Pens achilles heel. So, maybe this is the smallest of silver linings for the Pens in what otherwise is a great Capitals hire.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
When you watch Dallas... you see one heck of a team. And i am not talking just a roster. That team is PLAYING like a team. Vegas did tremendous at stopping the Dallas entry for most of the game. It went enter, drop, turnover. They couldn't get anything going. NEVER did Dallas panic. They just kept running. Then they got garbage goals.

I see more panic in Tampa's game, but a better roster. I just see a damn good team in Dallas. They are playing tremendous.

They're also got the puck luck thing going. The goaltending has been great. Playing as a team. So many guys stepping up or turning back the clock. Even the health factor. But, as I wrote the other day, there isn't a cup winner you don't lock back on without saying 'hey, they got the timeliest of bounces'.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Caps hire Lavs...can we fire Sully and hire Gallant?

Maybe in December . . . :naughty:

And I'm still not sure how keen Gallant would be on that 'opportunity' . . . aging stars, a team that lacks identity and complementary pieces, and a GM who these days pretty much is reduced to throwing shit against the wall hoping something sticks.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Maybe in December . . . :naughty:

And I'm still not sure how keen Gallant would be on that 'opportunity' . . . aging stars, a team that lacks identity and complementary pieces, and a GM who these days pretty much is reduced to throwing shit against the wall hoping something sticks.

I'd say Vellucci would come up from WBS to Pens but we kinda put a damper on things by making him our assistant, so...JD Forrest the new coach? instant cup success. :sarcasm:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
And Lavs is the fresh voice, a la Sullivan in 2015 with the Pens.

This is like Philly hiring Chuck Fletcher and his hiring AV or the Isles hiring Devil Lou and his bringing in Trotz.

Do they last forever? Of course not. But first 2-4 years, Lavs, like those other two, is as good as it gets.

EDIT: From a Pens perspective, I will say that Lavs isn't going to coach that AV/Trotz trapping style that is the Pens achilles heel. So, maybe this is the smallest of silver linings for the Pens in what otherwise is a great Capitals hire.

I don't think it matters much what style our opponent plays if the Pens put in as much passion and work ethic as they did in the latter half of the Montreal series or the entirety of the Islanders series.

Reactions: KIRK

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It’s crazy that Tampa can be without Point and Stamkos and still have like 3 more elite players than New York lol.
But you can definitely see how much Point stirs that pot. When he's not there the Bolts are not even close to being the offensive threat people know them to be.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Tampa seems to have trouble with the whole offside thing.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Caps hire Lavs...can we fire Sully and hire Gallant?

Speaking of coaches, Elliott Friedman and Jeff Marek (on their 31 Thoughts podcast) think it's "wrong" for voters to dismiss Tortorella because of his personality. The man makes a concerted effort at being as unprofessional as humanly possible. If that cost him a Jack Adams trophy, then so be it.

Reactions: 66-30-33

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
@Honour Over Glory I remember getting behind the Devils in 2012. The other teams remaining in the East were the Rangers (yeah, right...), the Capitals (no...), and the Flyers (hell will freeze over first).

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
We stick with the east or else I will find your dog and shave it.

Only time we root for the west is when the flyers, rangers, Bruins, or capitals are in the finals mate.

I sincerely wish you luck in a) catching my dog, and b) should you manage a, keeping your hands :laugh:

Otherwise

Attachments

• download.png
    download.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Clare2904
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad