OT: Around the NHL - Currently serving Pasta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I think there’s a discrepancy between the NHL rule book and human nature. Tkachuk’s hit may be legal but the brain doesn’t really differentiate between a body check meant to hurt and being assaulted with fists, which is why instinctually fighting after hits, even if they’re legal, makes sense in the moment.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Shero to me seems like a fantastic AGM, but when he's the guy making final decisions, that's when things go awry for him.

Like you and everyone have mentioned - He's done some things right, but there's also a lot he didn't do right and for me, the stuff he didn't do right are patterns now. He did the same in Pittsburgh and did it again in New Jersey. You want to see a guy not repeat past mistakes but he went and did just that.

Is it me, or does the ESPN article perfectly summarize what is wrong with Shero?

The team made the decision to fire Shero at the midway point of the season. Why now?

Kaplan:
There wasn't exactly an impetus. It appears ownership got fed up with the Devils being directionless. Ray Shero didn't have a contingency plan after most of his summer moves didn't work. He didn't have a contingency plan for when goaltending didn't hold up (for the second straight season), for when he traded Taylor Hall or for when he fired John Hynes.
The Devils were stuck in neutral after each of those moves, and it became clear this was a team that didn't quite know what it was or where it was going.

The bolded in particular seemed to be the issue when he was with the Pens. Directionless (ie. what kind of team are you actually building, Ray?) and had a Plan A with no backup if Plan A didn't pan out (ie. all-in on Parise, but did nothing when he struck out).

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I feel you NEED to fight if your guy gets hurt AND/OR it's borderline

But so many scrums and crap happen after legal hits.

That annoys me. If you get decked or out-muscled, deal with it. I hate the fights after clearly legal shenanigans.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I feel you NEED to fight if your guy gets hurt AND/OR it's borderline

But so many scrums and crap happen after legal hits.

That annoys me. If you get decked or out-muscled, deal with it. I hate the fights after clearly legal shenanigans.
Thing is, Tkachuk was targeting Kassian, it's fine if it's here or there, but Tkachuk was specifically going after Kassian. Could Kassian have just ignored it? Maybe, that powerplay is where they scored the GWG. But when you're getting targeted like that and borderline dirty hits too, refs are doing jack shit as usual, so he has to send a message himself to piss off.

Refs like to do this a lot, they could have easily stopped this from happening much sooner knowing the kind of player Tkachuk is and what he was clearly doing running around like a clown.

This in from retired NHL referee Paul Stewart, his take on the Zack Kassian and Matt Tkachuk incident, first dealing with Tkachuk’s hits on Kassian that precipitated Kassian punching out Tkachuk, who refused to fight back.

“A hit that isn’t technically illegal isn’t automatically a clean hit or a good hockey play,” Stewart said on Twitter. “When a winger runs out of position to, from above the goal line, body-check an already engaged opponent below the goal line, it’s not good hockey.”
As for Tkachuk’s hits on Kassian, Laraque said: “Blindside hits are legal now? The league said it was legal because Kassian got hit, but if it was a superstar, it would be an other story. There’s still double standard in decisions…”
Former NHL referee refers to actions of Matt Tkachuk: "provocateur who turtles."

Ex-NHL players & insiders defend Zack Kassian and blast Matt Tkachuk's dangerous plays

Respect of Flames' Tkachuk questioned after dangerous hits on Kassian - Sportsnet.ca

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom Hanks

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
Rangers and Islanders game off to an interesting start. Isles score 18 seconds in plus 4 fighting majors 2:13 in.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Thing is, Tkachuk was targeting Kassian, it's fine if it's here or there, but Tkachuk was specifically going after Kassian. Could Kassian have just ignored it? Maybe, that powerplay is where they scored the GWG. But when you're getting targeted like that and borderline dirty hits too, refs are doing jack **** as usual, so he has to send a message himself to piss off.

Refs like to do this a lot, they could have easily stopped this from happening much sooner knowing the kind of player Tkachuk is and what he was clearly doing running around like a clown.

Former NHL referee refers to actions of Matt Tkachuk: "provocateur who turtles."

Ex-NHL players & insiders defend Zack Kassian and blast Matt Tkachuk's dangerous plays

Respect of Flames' Tkachuk questioned after dangerous hits on Kassian - Sportsnet.ca

Right. I agree. That's fine. If you are or feel you're targeted, fight back.

I'm referring more to a trend where any big hit is automatically deemed too far and dude gets jumped by other team requiring a stoppage of play and BS penalties.

Every big hit doesn't deserve a matching minor for roughing.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Right. I agree. That's fine. If you are or feel you're targeted, fight back.

I'm referring more to a trend where any big hit is automatically deemed too far and dude gets jumped by other team requiring a stoppage of play and BS penalties.

Every big hit doesn't deserve a matching minor for roughing.
That isn't a trend though, that's always been a thing. Your guy gets his bell rung, you go and beat the snot out of the guy that did that to your teammate.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Caps looked very good in that 1st period. Samsonov looked frightening on the two big chances Canes had early and then Caps took over.

Gardiner sucks btw. He’s Schultz on a bad day.

Reactions: BHD

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Caps looked very good in that 1st period. Samsonov looked frightening on the two big chances Canes had early and then Caps took over.

Gardiner sucks btw. He’s Schultz on a bad day.
I don't think Gardiner is a good fit in Carolina, people saying he stinks, it's his first season on a new team in a new system.

You'd think we as Pens fans would understand that, that sort of snap judgement is...well...ironic and hypocritical.

Reactions: BHD

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The Rangers would be at the bottom of the league without Panarin...seriously, this guy is so good and every goal the Rangers are getting against the Isles goes through him...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think Varlomov must be getting money from Panarin to let him score 3 assists and 2 goals against him tonight...

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
5-2 Bruins halfway through against the Flyers. The Rangers are also up 3-1 on the Islanders.

Rags up 5-1 now, doing us a solid. The Islanders lineup is just so thoroughly unimpressive, no idea how they are even a .500 team, system or not. Just check Barzal and that's the offense.

edit, 6-1

Reactions: BHD and Andy99

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Rags up 5-1 now, doing us a solid. The Islanders lineup is just so thoroughly unimpressive, no idea how they are even a .500 team, system or not. Just check Barzal and that's the offense.

edit, 6-1

Hoping they just fall off honestly. Get that hold on for dear life until I get eliminated in the second round at best style out of my face.

Reactions: Andy99

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Thing is, Tkachuk was targeting Kassian, it's fine if it's here or there, but Tkachuk was specifically going after Kassian. Could Kassian have just ignored it? Maybe, that powerplay is where they scored the GWG. But when you're getting targeted like that and borderline dirty hits too, refs are doing jack **** as usual, so he has to send a message himself to piss off.

Tkachuk was targeting Kassian because Kassian is a meat head gorilla. Tkachuk knew he could get under Kassians skin and draw a penalty. Zero issue with that, that’s what pests are for. Kassian lost his mind and lost his team the game and valuable points. If he wanted to get Tkachuk back, then go and check him back. I like what Tkachuk said, he caught Kassian 3 times coming around the boards with his head down, Kassian never learned his lesson. I hope Kassian runs around like an idiot on the 29th. Cause that means he’s going to either get tossed right away or a healthy serving of Lucic fist.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Tkachuk was targeting Kassian because Kassian is a meat head gorilla. Tkachuk knew he could get under Kassians skin and draw a penalty. Zero issue with that, that’s what pests are for. Kassian lost his mind and lost his team the game and valuable points. If he wanted to get Tkachuk back, then go and check him back. I like what Tkachuk said, he caught Kassian 3 times coming around the boards with his head down, Kassian never learned his lesson. I hope Kassian runs around like an idiot on the 29th. Cause that means he’s going to either get tossed right away or a healthy serving of Lucic fist.

I can go on a mega rant. What Kassian did was unacceptable and should have been 10+ games. I don't care if a player got under someone's skin or not. It's not acceptable. Someone will die on that ice and our niche sport will go down again.

If what Tkachuk did was a penalty or deemed to be illegal - suspend him, too. We neeeeeeeed to start taking these guys off the ice for a long time. They love the game. Take it away from them and let them pay.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad