OT: Around the NHL: Countdown to the Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Kucherov with a goal, MacKinnon with 2 assists, and McDavid with an assist. Meanwhile, Geno got skunked by the freaking Islanders.

The Art Ross is slipping away.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I would love for the Pens to put the nail in the Devils’ coffin.

Also, the Blackhawks were eliminated last night.

What about the Pens recent play, especially their play against the Devils this year, makes you think they have a chance of outworking or outplaying them Friday night?

Reactions: ETA

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
What about the Pens recent play, especially their play against the Devils this year, makes you think they have a chance of outworking or outplaying them Friday night?

I'm not holding my breath for it. However, it would be sweet to see the Pens hand them another loss.

The Panthers are breathing down their neck, and they don't play until Friday. Meanwhile, the Panthers play the Jackets tomorrow night.

Reactions: ETA and Andy99

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
Knowing the Devils, they'll beat the Pens and then lose the next 2 - and then beat the Penguins again and then go winless the rest of the way.

Reactions: ETA and BHD

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
Fleury got hit in the mask with a shot in the first last night, left the game and did not return.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Fleury got hit in the mask with a shot in the first last night, left the game and did not return.

I read that. Hope he's okay. That would be 2 concussions this season. Never like seeing someone's career impacted by concussions.

Apparently it was on a Brandon Sutter shot.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Unreal. That’s 3 or 4 concussions for Fleury because the mask somehow hasn’t protected him. I wonder if he had played through that before 2016.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
NHL.com pumping out "reasons" for why the Hawks missed.

Actual reason: they aren't that good.

Yea Bowman waaaaay over-corrected this summer. The team that lost in the playoffs was fine, they just ran into a crazy hot goalie. And they team they lost to went to the Finals- no shame in their performance.

But he went full blown NHL 18 GM this summer. Losing Hjallmarsson was a tremendous blow and then he swaps back Saad/Panarin? Those are moves you make for 1 last kick at the can. I feel like if he would have virtually left the team as it was, they'd be able to bleed out a couple more seasons of making the playoffs of that core. But he left the team in worse shape now vs last offseason and there are no other fixes left for him. Strange move by a man who was known for pushing all the right buttons up until last year...

Reactions: BHD

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Losing Hossa, Hjalmarsson and Panarin and getting Saad and Murphy is one terrible offseason. The Panarin trade was bad but at least Saad is a good player. I still don’t understand at all what was with trading the only defenseman on his team worth a damn not named Keith.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Knowing the Devils, they'll beat the Pens and then lose the next 2 - and then beat the Penguins again and then go winless the rest of the way.

That's kind of how it's been when the Devils have beaten the Pens. No reason to believe it won't continue.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Damn, 6-1 Sharks.

Devils will be another team coming off a shallacking looking forward to beating the Pens.

Their goaltending has been atrocious for the most part and they have some how been a playoff team despite that, but against us, suddenly their goalies look like Vezina candidates.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
There are bigger things to worry about.

Well clearly, but I don't know why this is the response anytime anyone mentions individual trophies.

Yes, I get it. The Stanley Cup is the most important thing. Doesn't mean you can't cheer for your team's players to enjoy some individual success as well. It's not like they're mutually exclusive and Geno winning the Art Ross means the Pens are ineligible to win the Cup that season.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Well clearly, but I don't know why this is the response anytime anyone mentions individual trophies.

Yes, I get it. The Stanley Cup is the most important thing. Doesn't mean you can't cheer for your team's players to enjoy some individual success as well. It's not like they're mutually exclusive and Geno winning the Art Ross means the Pens are ineligible to win the Cup that season.

Nah man, I totally get what you're saying. No disrespect was intended.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Their goaltending has been atrocious for the most part and they have some how been a playoff team despite that, but against us, suddenly their goalies look like Vezina candidates.

Pens seem to do that to every team, not just New Jersey.

I mean, Jesus, 37 shots last night versus an AHL goalie and only score 1 goal on him. The last time we faced the Isles, it took 52 shots to score 3 goals against him to squeak out a 3-2 OT win.

The Pens usually seem to be a volume shooting team. Take 40 shots, score 2 or 3 goals. That's what made last year's playoffs such an anomaly. For the first time I can remember, the Pens were actually scoring 3 or 4 goals on only 25 shots. Usually it takes them 40+ shots to score that many.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad