Around the NHL - Congrats to the Tampa Bay Lightning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
That's good. So why keep repeating that we should just defer to the decisions of "31 GM's, 5 executives, and 5 media members" when the majority of them felt someone else deserved the award?

Because on the basis of their expertise and voting, internet opinion aside, Lou won in clear fashion....

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think You could definitely make a much better case for Lou in that 2016/17 season than this one.

Though I still think cup results should play the biggest factor for this award

That was what I was thinking too. That was more impressive than what happened this year, although at the same time that was largely pushed by adding Nylander, Matthews and Marner to the roster and he had literally nothing to do with any of that. He, once again, added a goalie and a head coach.

However people will choose to believe what they want to believe, and will run with whatever they get regardless of its legitimacy.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
They lost their ability to put the puck in the net in the Vancouver series. Hopefully they find it again.

They missed the net A LOT, especially in that Vancouver series. Demko also was amazing and they put up a ton of great shots on net, but they also missed some golden chances without even getting a shot on net.

They definitely can figure it out and probably win 3 straight games, but this has been plaguing them for most of their past handful of games. They'd need to do a sharp 180.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You’d think getting out of that Marleau contract alone would have earned Dubas some votes.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Dinosaurs do exist.

EhwJfhjXYAIwQbo

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Is Point back ? If he remains out long, we just might see Lou and his men in the SC final. Now wouldn't that look good on Shanny and his wonder boy ??

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Good on Lamoriello in winning GM of the year. I'd probably have opted for Nill though based on the finalists, or Sakic if going just beyond that.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Saw an interesting comment on twitter. The GMs around the NHL would always want the worse candidates to win GM of the year award.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Dorion, Waddell and Gorton are all strong candidates for GM of the year.

Though Waddell has made some boneheaded moves like trading for Skjei.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Made more sense for Lou to win the award last year than this year. They were an expected lottery team that were a solid playoff team instead. The also acquired a legitimate starter and made more roster changes.

This year they were expected to be a playoff team and were sputtering when the league shut down. Changes were minimal aside from a lateral move in net.

You could argue playoff results, but I didnt think those were applicable

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Interesting that the youngest coach standing is 52 years old and the oldest Bowness, is 65. I don't like his odds but how long has it been since a guy that old won the Stanley Cup? Scotty Bowman I guess. He was fired by the Lightning in 2018 because Yzerman felt the defense wasn't quite good enough. That makes the final a lot more interesting to me.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Is Point back ? If he remains out long, we just might see Lou and his men in the SC final. Now wouldn't that look good on Shanny and his wonder boy ??

Don't worry...Dubas got his man Mirtle telling everyone how Lou shouldn't have won GM of the Year ahead of some others...:sarcasm:

Reactions: ToneDog

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Interesting that the youngest coach standing is 52 years old and the oldest Bowness, is 65. I don't like his odds but how long has it been since a guy that old won the Stanley Cup? Scotty Bowman I guess. He was fired by the Lightning in 2018 because Yzerman felt the defense wasn't quite good enough. That makes the final a lot more interesting to me.

I thought Cooper was in his 40's TBH...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad