Around the NHL - All The NHL News That's Fit (or Not) To Print

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
By-the-rules illegal faceoffs already happen all the time, with (too few) goals scored as it is.

Also, if faceoff replay isn't allowed, it's a non-issue, and I don't see faceoffs being review-able plays.

Look at NFL and college kickoffs. Probably 10-20% of them are truly offsides and not flagged, and, IMO, more happen in the pros than college.

The average fan doesn't know what an illegal faceoff is and why its called. Now all fans and media have to do is watch the skates. Replay will be all over this if an illegal faceoff happens and a goal is scored.

There are 60 or so faceoffs a game. Every night there will be goals off of faceoff wins. This will be an issue unless its consistently called. Its the NHL, we know that doesn't happen. If it is called there will be other issues, but those are minor. I dont know why the NHL feels this is necessary.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
Agree but the rules are squirt 101 in terms of lining up, where you're feet are allowed to be,who'se stick touched the ice first, its location (outside the dot), etc.. Then there's the obstruction that goes on after the face off. By the time we get to the SC playoffs, its frickin rugby/tackle football.

EVERY player out there (and coach) knows the face-off rules. They've been subject to them since they were squirts (or atoms). They just do whatever they are allowed to get away with.

And yes, this ""enforcement phase" will pass very quickly.....

Totally agree with you on every aspect. It isn't like the lines on the ice are new. They've just never been enforced.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Can we please go back to 05-07 style of refereeing please? And not just because the Sabres were the most exciting team during those 2 years. I loved seeing the refs arm go up after some player would do even just the tiniest hook. That's the way the game should be called. I don't care if there is 15 power plays a game between the two teams. The NHL wonders why it's a dying league and it's so funny.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Chicago-Columbus. Just saw 2 calls as weak or weaker than anything from last year - a slash and a faceoff violation - for a full 2 minute 5-on-3, at the tail end of another PP.

I think the refs are finally going to drive me insane this year.

Edit: LOL Cody Franson converts the 5-on-3 with a 1-timer for the Hawks.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Chicago-Columbus. Just saw 2 calls as weak or weaker than anything from last year - a slash and a faceoff violation - for a full 2 minute 5-on-3, at the tail end of another PP.

I think the refs are finally going to drive me insane this year.

Edit: LOL Cody Franson converts the 5-on-3 with a 1-timer for the Hawks.

Once teams start losing games because of the power plays handed out because of face-off enforcement, one of two things will happen. 1.) Players will stop cheating else their coach benches them or 2.) the most influential Governors will haul Gary in before them and tell him to cut the crap.

Money says option 2 likely wins out.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Once teams start losing games because of the power plays handed out because of face-off enforcement, one of two things will happen. 1.) Players will stop cheating else their coach benches them or 2.) the most influential Governors will haul Gary in before them and tell him to cut the crap.

Or refs won't call it so close when the season starts. They'll go overboard in the preseason, but back off once the games actually matter.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Marchand is already on record as incredulous at this rule enforcement, so I would expect Jacobs to make his puppet dance when it costs his team games.

Last edited:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Or refs won't call it so close when the season starts. They'll go overboard in the preseason, but back off once the games actually matter.

Ding. They are simply trying to make a point. There's been one season where they actually enforced the rules from puck drop to cup lift, 05-06. Since then, the higher the stakes of the game, the less calls you see.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I think I agree with all of the following:

1. Slashing and faceoff violations will not be called with the same frequency with which they are being called in the preseason; and

2. This is another tool at the referees' and NHL's disposal to keep games close to manufacture drama (i.e., evening up penalties, calling ticky-tack penalties on teams with multi-goal leads), followed by the refs/NHL citing the "increased emphasis" on these calls, as evidenced by the preseason. And let's see how many of these get called when a game is in OT or in the final minutes of a tight regulation game (ha!).

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
ya'll are forgetting we used to employ that evil and dirty repeat offender brad boyes.

pre-season reffing is just a joke.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/report-senators-aggressively-trying-trade-matt-duchene/

As NHL training camp and pre-season hockey rolls on, so do all the Matt Duchene trade rumours.

According to Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun, the Ottawa Senators and general manager Pierre Dorion have been “aggressive” in their pursuit the Colorado Avalanche centre.

The Sens are by no means the only team interested in acquiring Duchene and the two sides at this time are not believed to be close to a deal, Garrioch added.

The Senators are dealing with injuries down the middle to start the 2017-18 campaign with Derick Brassard still recovering from off-season shoulder surgery and rookie Colin White out 6-8 weeks after breaking his wrist Monday against the Toronto Maple Leafs.

It's the Bruce, but...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...ohn-chayka-drive-bring-winning-hockey-desert/

More than just an analytics whiz kid, Arizona Coyotes GM John Chayka has the drive to bring winning hockey to the desert.

I didn't know that Ted Nolan was a coach of his when he was a kid.

Hockey, though, became a more singular focus as the years went on and he found himself on AAA teams, including a couple during his bantam and midget years that were coached by former Buffalo Sabres bench boss Ted Nolan and featured Nolan’s son, future L.A. King Jordan Nolan. Chayka, drafted 283rd overall by the Plymouth Whalers in the 2005 Ontario Hockey League Priority Selection, was a smart, six-foot-three player with a good shot.

Last edited:

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Went to Kid Rock at Little Caesars Arena tonight. The bar for arenas has been set. Haven't seen it for a hockey game yet but it's already the greatest. It's beautiful. Well laid out. Easy to get around. A big delicious burger and a ton of fries was only $10.50. That LED ceiling was crazy. Lots of bathrooms and concessions. The people who worked there were great. Easy in and out. You can barely tell the Pistons will play there. It's sublime.

I'll compare it to T. Mobile Arena next month when I see the Sabres play in Vegas. ;)

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Would have been more effective if I posted this last night but...

CANUCKS VS KINGS - LIVE FROM SHANGHAI, CHINA - THURSDAY MORNING - 7:30 AM ET - NBCSN.

The Canucks and Kings face off in the first-ever NHL preseason game played in China LIVE on Thursday morning on NBCSN. This will be the first of two games played this week as part of the 2017 NHL China Games. Thursday’s game will be played in Shanghai, followed by a second clash between the Canucks and Kings on Saturday in Beijing.

Players on the trip for the Kings include Jonathan Quick, Drew Doughty, and Anze Kopitar, while the Canucks’ roster is highlighted by brothers Daniel Sedin and Henrik Sedin. Brendan Burke (play-by-play) Pierre McGuire (analyst) will call the action. Kathryn Tappen (host) Keith Jones (analyst) Brian Boucher (analyst) will provide studio coverage.

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...nguins-kraft-hockeyville-usa-on-sunday-night/

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

@CoreyHirsch - Gillies with one of the best saves tonight that I've ever seen.
@NHLFlames - "That was great. He's a big guy and he's very athletic ... these goalies are all athletic freaks now." - Kris Versteeg on Jon Gillies' save.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad